Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is a 1959 Power Wagon built from a resin kit and a lot of scratch building. The cab came from Scale Equipment Ltd and was originally a '58. I changed the grill, fender flairs and constructed the body from plastic sheet. The prototype was built by American La France as the Little Mo. New York state bought some for use on their interstate.

0032.jpg

Not much work done to her lately. I did some work on the frame/chassis. What would be the cab floorboard. removed some material to make a lil more clearance for the exhaust tubing. bought some 3/32 brass rod for the exhaust. I think I am going to pick up some aluminum scupting wire and try that. the brass is good but I can't quite get a tight enough bend in one spot.

I really want mufflers that look like Flowmasters, so I think i am going to scratchbuild some or alter some to look more like a flowmaster 40 series.

Still kicking around what to do for a fuel tank. just make the one I already made bigger and deeper. Scratchbuild a tank to set in the rear of the frame? I am torn because I really like the stock location and the easily accessable filler neck. I also like the rear mounted tank but I don't want the filler neck to be in the bed of the truck. That really wouldn't be feasible if this was a real truck so I have that stuck in my head. PLus I don't want to carve a fuel door into a rear fender. that's the only way I feasibly see how it could be done. open to any ideas! SO if you have any let me know!

Well it is too new to have one in the cab behind the seat like my 75 PowerWagon.

Under the bed where the spare tire would go would be the next feasible option with filler neck

like the stock one.

Or make a Longer one out of the stock one, more under the cab..

I have decided to do both. I am going to make the one I already made bigger and I am going to Make a rear mount one. Then I will see what one looks better!

On another NOTE! These 2 Power Wagons will very soon be joined by a Ramcharger!!!!

Just going to throw these teaser pics in here for now. She will get her own log soon!

a few quick mock up pics trying to figure out how much I will need to lift her.

RAMCHARGER4.jpg

RAMCHARGER1.jpg

and a couple together!

RAMCHARGER3.jpg

RAMCHARGER2.jpg

I have never had a Ramcharger kit yill now. It has it's pros and cons, as does the AMT pickup. I think the AMT kit is actually the better kit. Even with a lot of flaws in it. It is a much easier platform to better replicate a 1:1 truck. I have a 79 Dodge as part of my family since 1983 and IMO the AMT kit is the better kit.

The proportions are better and the body lines not as crisp/edgy as the Monogram kit. I am still very happy to finally have it in my MOPAR collection!

Wow cool stuff. I love power wagon. ram chargers . I have to finish my lowered ram soon to get it off my table.

YA I NOW RIGHT!

I LOVE THESE OLD DODGES!

I also have a LRE turned lowered street machine Pro-Touring style beast I am building along side these!

• 2 weeks later...

nothing worthwhile to report. Been too busy working on real cars! always seem to happen this time of year for me. I can finally get outside and wrench in decent weather! As soon as my real car rids itself of a gremlin I am chasing I can get back to at least the stepside. I would like to have it done by june for a big Mopar car show i will be going to.

Have always loved the Dodge Powerwagons. Here's a couple pics of a few I have done. The yellow one started out as the MPC 78 4x4 pickup. The green truck,started in 2003 and still not finished was also built from a MPC 78 4x4 pickup. I did use an early grill on the green truck.

The beds and welders were scratch-built. The green trucks frame and most of the suspension was also scratch-built. Bumpers,hitches also scratched.

Keep us posted on your builds! Brad

weld1-vi.jpg

tomspicmytrkvi-vi.jpg

Picture1484-vi.jpg

AWESOME Power Wagons Brad!!!!

Please don't be afriad to post more pics of them if you have any!

Especially any of the scratchbuilt frame and suspension on the green one!

Love the front bumper and brush guard on the yellow one!

Edited by wraith

Picture1479-vi.jpg

Thanks. here's a few more pics. Scratched bed,bumper,hitch.

MVC019Ss-vi.jpg

Friend Dave Brickwood's Cross-ram hemi powered 4X4.

bench1-vi.jpg

Old project. Got a resin cab off Ebay,but was really bad,so I made my own.

tierod4vi-vi.jpg

Front axle on the green welder truck. Most of it is scratch-built. Need to dig it out and get it finished.

Been almost 10 years since I started it! Brad

AMAZING TRUCKS BRAD!

Really LOVING that scratchbuilt suspension! the knuckels are off the hook!!!!!

You need to get back on it!

Makes me want to redo mine! especially since I still need to scratch the steering linkage!!!

I opened my mailbox yesterday and found a very much unexpected, forgotten, and pleasant surprise!

A package from Canada!? I knew there would be a package waiting in my mail box from California, but Canada as well!?

Got inside and opened it up and more parts for my Ramcharger!!!

spare frame, complete motor/trans and the t-case! I had totally forgotten that our GOOD friend of here kataranga (Chris Martin), had told me he had some parts and would send them to me! Chris you really helped make my day yesterday! I OWE YOU! Thanks again! With your help I should be able to get it started!

• 2 weeks later...