Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Nova

ScrappyJ

Wow! :lol: thats very nice Dirk. the paint on the body is stunning. very clean too. What chassis did you use for this model? or did you scratch build it?

This one is 95% scratch-built. The upper and lower control arms (A arms) and the rear trailing arms are all brass. I polished them and plated them using Casswell's Coyp Chrome plating system. It is a lot easier than one would think. The Copy Chrome systme uses distilled water and a very low voltage source (I even had my hand in the tank at one time and coudln't feel a thing). The radiator, roll cage and some other items were also made out of brass and then chrome-plated.

This one is 95% scratch-built. The upper and lower control arms (A arms) and the rear trailing arms are all brass. I polished them and plated them using Casswell's Coyp Chrome plating system. It is a lot easier than one would think. The Copy Chrome systme uses distilled water and a very low voltage source (I even had my hand in the tank at one time and coudln't feel a thing). The radiator, roll cage and some other items were also made out of brass and then chrome-plated.

wow thats even more amazing. :lol: very nice work. I've not reached the dizzy heights of working with brass yet. just experimenting at the moment with mold making and resin casting. going quite well at the moment. thats very interesting, what you said about the chrome plating, thanks for the info. :lol:

Dirk, incredible model :lol:

Dirk is one of the top builders in the country, and his picture is found next to the word "humble" in the dictionary.

Pictures don't do this model justice. Dirk won a Top Ten and the Augie Hiscano award at our show this past weekend. It was by far the model most deserving of the award. While not there physically, Augie was a part of our show that day, and had a hand in picking the winner.

Dirk, I hope you don't mind me tooting your horn a little bit more, and showing these pictures:

IMG_3019-vi.jpg

Accepting the Augie Hiscano Award for his Nova

IMG_2998-vi.jpg

Top Ten Winner w/his Nova

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

No worries, Bob! As you know, I just love building models. I've said this many times, but thank you for taking the time way back in '96 to tutor me on painting. I still, to this day, think back to your tutorial and my conversations with David Morton when prepping, painting and rubbing my paint jobs. What is cool is that I use pretty much everything that folks have thought me every time I build. I think of Pat Covert and Tommy May and their conversations about me taking my time and executing well; I think back to Bob Kornouw and Bob dudek with their guidance on machining; and I continue to learn. As well as many that have taught me something through the years. This time, I was able to incorporate soldering and chome plating conversations that I had with Bob Jernnigan. Not to mention seeing all the fine works-of-art that I have been fortunate to see in the hobby (some of my favorites: Tommy's white pro-street truck, Tim's pink chevy station wagon, Ricky's purple mid-engine truck, Randy Derr's Sunoco Camaro, to name a few on a very long list). What I like most about this hobby is learning and sharing techniques with felow modelers and meeting some really cool people.

Lyle- Coming from you and the quality of your projects, it is quite an honor to receive such a compliment from you.

Nick- That is exactly the look I was going for. I like subtle ques, but know that you wouldn't want to mess with that car on the street. I like Nova's too. My all time favorite is the '69 Camaro, but the '66 Nova is second on my list.

John- The Year One car was definetly the inspiration for this project, but unfortunately I didn't do any of the styling quest that they had. I thought about it, but wimped out. I did, however, get my hands on some PPG Astec Gold that a friend (Mike Alvarez) had. By the way, your bikes are simply bad...

Tim- It's always good to see you! I wish that Tommy could have made it and Dave and I are hoping to get to B'gham this year and spend some time with the MCCM guys.

Edited by ScrappyJ

Congratulations on a well deserved win. I was going to ask for more pics, but then I checked out your site, and wow! That is nice! I have seen your work before. I remember your pro stock s10. I found it at the time I was thinking about getting one. Great work. I would love to see some more! ;)

Dirk,

Just finished looking around on your fotki site. WOW!!! I don't understand how it's possible for one guy to have so much talent, but you've got it man. It does my heart good to see young guys like you pumping out such quality builds. Looks like this hobby will keep thriving with guys you coming on the scene. ;)

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Absolutely amazing Dirk. I hope to build half as good as you some day. I was honored to see this model being finished up Friday night in the hotel room. What many of you can't see is all the detail under the body, the pics dont do it justice. He even has rubber grommits for the MSD box, which are completely covered up by the body! Its the little details you cant see that set Dirk apart from the rest.

Congrats again on the Augie. You definitely deserved it! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me as well.