Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Western Star 5700 XE just unveiled - would this make a cool truck kit or what?

The new Optimus Prime truck from Transformers 4 was based on the 5700. Western Star had a few teasers on there web site about it

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

When I first saw the Optimus Prime truck, I thought it looked too good not to be introduced as a production piece. And there you go. I think It looks a lot better than the 5900. If Italeri doesn't do anything about it, I'm pretty sure Auslowe (or another) is going to produce a trans-kit in resin for the Italeri kit.

I think It looks a lot better than the 5900. If Italeri doesn't do anything about it, I'm pretty sure Auslowe (or another) is going to produce a trans-kit in resin for the Italeri kit.

I agree Bob it is better looking than the 5900. The one thing I'm not too sure about is the color stripe down the center of the grille, I personally think they should have gone all chrome

I like it,

But if Italeri would do one I hope they start all over and do a correct kit and not take shortcuts and update an old kit with new cab and hood parts as they mostly have done so far...if they do a modified old kit I will pass on it as they usually are wrong almost everywhere. <_<

And if anyone does this truck I hope they do regular dual mount drive wheels as I don't like the look of super singles...I think it looks like something's missing.

Edited by Force

When I seen sneak peeks of the Optimus Prime Western Star, I had no idea that it was an actual truck!!! Just thought it was another vehicle built by a hollywood studio just for the movie. After going through the pics, my favorite would have to be the blue one with the black stripe that starts at the bottom of the sleeper side window!!! Very cool truck, having built 5900's during my time at the plant, I always liked the look of them...this is an awesome improvement!!!! Kinda like the Lowmax they built off the 4900, which I always thought looked like a Boyd Coddington/Chip Foose chopped and channeled rig!!!

YES....I wanna see a BRAND SPANKIN NEW MODEL of this!!!!

I am not so happy that I am not part of the actual production of the 1:1!!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Wonder how these more aero trucks do on the hobby market vs the classic designs.

I would like to see it because I personally like Western Star trucks, but if I had a choice between the 5700 or a new kit of a WS 4900 then I would prefer the 4900. I do feel that the aero trucks are here to stay however.

I agree Bob it is better looking than the 5900. The one thing I'm not too sure about is the color stripe down the center of the grille, I personally think they should have gone all chrome

I'm with you on that, though I think it wouldn't look too bad on a silver or white truck.

In some ways it has the same effect to me as the big, shiny "horseshoe" grille on later-model Volkswagens- it sticks out like a sore thumb on a dark colored car, but it looks okay (or at least less distracting) on lighter colored cars. It blends in better. This isn't quite the same situation, but that's what keeps coming to mid for me.

I'm with you on that, though I think it wouldn't look too bad on a silver or white truck.

In some ways it has the same effect to me as the big, shiny "horseshoe" grille on later-model Volkswagens- it sticks out like a sore thumb on a dark colored car, but it looks okay (or at least less distracting) on lighter colored cars. It blends in better. This isn't quite the same situation, but that's what keeps coming to mid for me.

I think I would like it better if the upper horizontal bar by the "W" logo was chrome, the vertical bar being body color wouldn't look too bad. Edited by Modeltruckbuilder