Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Western Star 5700 XE just unveiled - would this make a cool truck kit or what?

I would like to see it because I personally like Western Star trucks, but if I had a choice between the 5700 or a new kit of a WS 4900 then I would prefer the 4900. I do feel that the aero trucks are here to stay however.

Aero trucks are more than here to stay. It's the name of the game these days and it's only going to keep advancing. The next 10-20 years will be interesting.

This new Western Star isn't bad looking. It just looks a little boxy to me and the body color grill stripe will take some getting used to.

The more I look at the pictures, the better I like it! It does look like a modern interpretation of the big Diamond Reo. As for the middle bar in the grill, I don't mind it, it's like the vertical split on a Pontiac grill.

Edited by BigBad

The more I look at the pictures, the better I like it! It does look like a modern interpretation of the big Diamond Reo. As for the middle bar in the grill, I don't mind it, it's like the vertical split on a Pontiac grill.

I like this truck as well, but to me Western Star will always be about loggers and vocational daycabs.... :D

Cool looking truck ............. Italeri let's see this one come to light!

Here's your chance:

Dear Friends, we would like to know you expectations and ideas. Send an e-mail at idea@italeri.com answering the following questions:

1) Which 100% new scale model kit you would like to have in the next 2015 Italeri Catalogue.

2) Which are the scale model kits in our current line up you would like to improve

3) Which are the Italeri model kits of the past that you would like to see once again in our 2015 catalogue.

For more details : http://italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=473

Here's your chance:

Dear Friends, we would like to know you expectations and ideas. Send an e-mail at idea@italeri.com answering the following questions:

1) Which 100% new scale model kit you would like to have in the next 2015 Italeri Catalogue.

2) Which are the scale model kits in our current line up you would like to improve

3) Which are the Italeri model kits of the past that you would like to see once again in our 2015 catalogue.

For more details : http://italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=473

Thanks Chucky...I just sent them my ideas. Really appreciate the info and the link....TIM

Actually, any company with a Freightliner license would be able to release it, Western Star is afterall a Freightliner brand now.

Western Star is a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. Freightliner sells and services Western Star's at certain dealers but has no ownership of the brand. Western Star blows Freightliner away in overall quality, just like Brockway blew away Mack.

Western Star is a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. Freightliner sells and services Western Star's at certain dealers but has no ownership of the brand. Western Star blows Freightliner away in overall quality, just like Brockway blew away Mack.

While I will not debate you over the quality if a Star, Daimler is also the parent group of both and also of Daimler Trucks North America, which you will see from this link has Freightliner, Western Star, and also Detroit and Thomas buses under "Our Brands".

http://www.daimler-trucksnorthamerica.com/

While maybe my statement of Western Star being a Freightliner brand may not be correct, both are brands of Daimler so it would still make sense that if a company already has the license to use the Freightliner name, they should be able to use the Western Star name, and maybe that is a good reason the AMT Western Star was reissued after so many years.

Just for clarification....Freightliner purchased Western Star from Previous owner Terry Peabody (Australian business man and the one who turned the company around in the early to mid 90's). The Kelowna B.C. factory was shut down in September 2002 and everything was moved to Portland, Oregon where the truck is currently built. Detroit Diesel was purchased the same year, all of the companies that Highway mentioned are owned by Daimler except for the rights to Western Star Australia (Terry Peabody would not give those up - owns 100%).

As far as quality goes....one of the best built trucks with many repeat buyers in the 35 years it was hand assembled in Kelowna B.C., I have no idea if they still have that same reputation. And since I am VERY bias about this truck.....I will not comment, but a few years ago I did hear a rumor of the plant going south to Mexico? But have no way to verify that one.

Edited by dieseldog1970

both are brands of Daimler so it would still make sense that if a company already has the license to use the Freightliner name, they should be able to use the Western Star name, and maybe that is a good reason the AMT Western Star was reissued after so many years.

Matt,

If that is true then why don't we have a Kenworth from Italeri? Italeri has license from PACCAR for Peterbilt but not for KW, same logic should apply to Pete and KW as well as Freightliner and Western Star, wouldn't you think? That's why I think licensing would come from both the parent owner and the brand itself.

The AMT "White Western Star" has license from both Volvo (for the White name) and from Daimler (for the Western Star name).

a few years ago I did hear a rumor of the plant going south to Mexico? But have no way to verify that one.

Western Star now has a plant in Cleveland, North Carolina, Freightliner has a plant in Mexico. Western Star has offices is in Fort Mill, South Carolina as well

Matt,

If that is true then why don't we have a Kenworth from Italeri? Italeri has license from PACCAR for Peterbilt but not for KW, same logic should apply to Pete and KW as well as Freightliner and Western Star, wouldn't you think? That's why I think licensing would come from both the parent owner and the brand itself.

The AMT "White Western Star" has license from both Volvo (for the White name) and from Daimler (for the Western Star name).

Exactly. Italeri offers Volvo and Renault trucks but no Mack trucks. Both Renault and Mack are subsidiaries of AB Volvo.

Matt,

PACCAR is Kenworth, Peterbilt, DAF Trucks and Leyland Trucks.

Italeri offers all except Kenworth.

Matt,

You do have a point there Anthony, and it seems all the manufacturers do have both Pete and KW kits but them. Brand may have something to do with it, but it may be as simple as Italeri doesn't realize Paccar owns both brands.

Exactly. Italeri offers Volvo and Renault trucks but no Mack trucks. Both Renault and Mack are subsidiaries of AB Volvo.

Hmmmmm.....that American Superliner (granted, no official trade dress but STILL a Mack) must be a figment of my imagination when I see it on my shelf!

You do have a point there Anthony, and it seems all the manufacturers do have both Pete and KW kits but them. Brand may have something to do with it, but it may be as simple as Italeri doesn't realize Paccar owns both brands.

You have a point there. But if you look on the instructions of both the 378 and 377 kits, on the front lower right hand of the page it conspicuously says "Peterbilt trademarks licensed by Paccar INC., Bellevue, Washington, U.S.A"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Edited by chuckyr

Hmmmmm.....that American Superliner (granted, no official trade dress but STILL a Mack) must be a figment of my imagination when I see it on my shelf!

True, but I deify you to find a Mack logo or indication on the kit or on any of the model parts.

It looks similar to a Mack, but is not a Mack.

And when that kit is built, you can clearly see the vast differences between it and an actual Mack Superliner truck.

Just as some blue jeans look like Levis but are not Levis.

True, but I deify you to find a Mack logo or indication on the kit or on any of the model parts.

And when that kit is built, you can clearly see the vast differences between it and an actual Mack Superliner truck.

No question, Italeri has had there share of "head scratchers" over the years. I still think the RoG Marmon is the worst

Hmmmmmm......maybe that's why I said there was NO OFFICIAL TRADE DRESS!!! I'm not as picky, though. If it looks like a Mack and barks like a Mack, it's a Mack in my book! If I need it to be 100% accurate, I've driven enough of the real things to know what to do to make it that way. Now back to my job of keeping the Walmarts of eastern OH, most of WV, and western PA stocked with groceries so people can eat!

Hmmmmmm......maybe that's why I said there was NO OFFICIAL TRADE DRESS!!! I'm not as picky, though. If it looks like a Mack and barks like a Mack, it's a Mack in my book! If I need it to be 100% accurate, I've driven enough of the real things to know what to do to make it that way. Now back to my job of keeping the Walmarts of eastern OH, most of WV, and western PA stocked with groceries so people can eat!

There are some model builders that claim they won't build the Italeri Ford and Western Star truck kits because the frame is not accurate.

Nitpicking and excuses to me.

One might call it nitpicking but I for one want my models to be as accurate as they can be and if the kit itself isn't correct in several places I woun't buy and build it...that's the main reason I stopped buying Italeri kits, I had lots of them before but sold them off so I only have four in my stash now, one Scania 142M Roadrunner, one Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler, one Volvo VN 780 (no engine :huh: ...!!) and one Freightliner FLC.

Italeri mostly take shortcuts and re-use wrong or outdated stuff for their kits instead of doing new correct parts in the chassis and engines department and I don't like to waste my money on such kits, and the RoG Marmon isn't much worse than many of the Italeri kits.
So if Italeri would make this truck I hope they will do it right and not take the same shortcuts they usually do, otherwise it's a no buy for me...I rather put my money on better more accurate kits such as the Moebius offerings.

Edited by Force