Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever seen a 1950 3100 chevy on a 64 truck frame

Me and my dad will be starting a 1/1 project soon and I was wondering if anybody has seen a setup like this before because when my dad started on the 3100 'bout 30 years ago he wanted a newer rear axle. So he went to the scrap yard. When he was looking under a 64 with his dad,(my grandpa) convinced him to put the whole chassis under it cuz it only needed to be shortened in the front. Since my dad liked straight 6s it stayed. Well my dad worked on the project for a while on in off while working on other cars eventually it ended up sitting until now with a lot of the work done.

My question is how unique is this setup?

Not as unique as one might think. I've seen quite a few of them. You're going to find that the track width will be too wide for the '50 fenders, and the wheelbase is going to be about 2" too short to center the wheels in the rear fenders. If you do the disk brake conversion, depending on how you do it, that will make the track width issue worse in the front as the disk brake trucks are another 2" wider on the track width per side.

Not as unique as one might think. I've seen quite a few of them. You're going to find that the track width will be too wide for the '50 fenders, and the wheelbase is going to be about 2" too short to center the wheels in the rear fenders. If you do the disk brake conversion, depending on how you do it, that will make the track width issue worse in the front as the disk brake trucks are another 2" wider on the track width per side.

Thanks for the info.

The truck is already shrunk in the front and I think he did something about the rear.