Model Cars Magazine Forum

Widest engine for '29 Ford with hood sides?

I know, lots of different answers, and most will start with "it depends". I'm talking real world, which may or may not be the same when scaled down.

I like DOHC V engines. Will Ford's 4.6 DOHC need hood side cutouts? Is a Deuce grille wider, making for less taper/wider engine compartment?

Bonus question: Is there a 1/24 or 1/25 Porsche 928 with a good looking 4cam engine?

I'll start from the bottom...

Porsche engine? No idea.

The 4.6 would most certainly need hoodside cutouts. The Deuce grille is wider, but not by much- you'd still need to do something with the hood sides.

The Ford V8-60 will fit under a stock Model A hood no problem, and IIRC, a regular Flathead would too. I want to say a Buick Nailhead would fit under the hood as well- but don't quote me on that, and you'd need to keep an eye on the placement of your belt-driven accessories.

Do you mind recessing the firewall? If the answer is no, that opens up a few more possibilities. At the risk of stating the obvious, the further back the engine sits, the fewer problems you'll have fitting it between the narrower taper of the hood. As you probably know, foot room is already at a premium in a Model A to begin with, but that hasn't stopped the street rodders from doing just that. You could also extend the hood, but the fact that you want hood sides leads me to assume you want to go with a more factory-looking appearance as far as the body goes, which would rule that out unless you were really subtle about it.

Edited by Chuck Most

I thought of a better way to ask the question: How wide are the grille shell and cowl? A quick search showed roughly 20 1/4" inches for a '29 grille shell (if the one answer I found is correct). Ford's 4.6 DOHC is about 29 inches wide. Nothing wrong with cutouts, but good grief, having 5-6 inches poking out of each side is just ridiculous. I think the 928 engine is 2-3 inches wider.

I have never sat in one of those old Fords. I'll take your word that they are cramped.

Whoa. Cosworth DFVs. Nice. I may have to find one of those kits. That Ford DOHC with intakes between cams is pretty wild, too. I could suspend disbelief for a model.

That reminds me of another cool engine; The V-12 out of Ferrari's 365GTC. It also had carbs between the cams, but exhaust in the normal location. Maybe I could make new heads for the V-12 out of Fujimi's Daytona. That engine in an AMBR-winning '32 Ford back around 1987 or so.

There are older V-12s in Ferrari 250GTO, 250 Testa Rossa, and 275 GTB/GTS kits. That has actually been done in the real world. Eric Zausner had a one-off car built by Steve Moal with a Colombo V-12. There is also a real '32 Ford street rod with one of these engines.

It's not DOHC, but a Corvette C5 drive train, with its torque tube and transaxle, would a great foundation for a street rod that handles like a road racer.

Lots of ideas for Revell's upcoming roadster.

Edited by LDO

Lee there is a Street Rod with a Cosworth or the Ford 4 cam engine that won AMBR Years back. I think it was called Gold Star or something like that . I did a search for that name and came up with nothing . Maybe I need to search AMBR winners.

Here is a link to the cars pictures. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ambr+winners+by+year&view=detailv2&&qpvt=ambr+winners+by+year&id=9B9E0F825B710A19238E4B532AF149BB99D5551F&selectedIndex=18&ccid=LWBZemFo&simid=608035655980157761&thid=JN.UdNOoLQXmuzOJuIG9vYjUw&ajaxhist=0

Looking through the pictures even it has a bump out for the headers but that engine has the intake and exhaust on the outside of the heads,

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Lee there is a Street Rod with a Cosworth or the Ford 4 cam engine that won AMBR Years back. I think it was called Gold Star or something like that . I did a search for that name and came up with nothing . Maybe I need to search AMBR winners.

Here is a link to the cars pictures. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ambr+winners+by+year&view=detailv2&&qpvt=ambr+winners+by+year&id=9B9E0F825B710A19238E4B532AF149BB99D5551F&selectedIndex=18&ccid=LWBZemFo&simid=608035655980157761&thid=JN.UdNOoLQXmuzOJuIG9vYjUw&ajaxhist=0

Looking through the pictures even it has a bump out for the headers but that engine has the intake and exhaust on the outside of the heads,

The image isn't showing up. Is it a '27 T roadster with track nose, yellow/gold paint, and tons of chrome? If so, I saw it at a Dallas Autorama back around 1990 or so. Really cool car.

I just went out into the garage and measured my real all henry steel 1929 tudor. On the body just below the fuel tank in the cowl just as it transitions from the flat hood sides to the rounded hood top it is 32 3/4 inches wide. Same place on the rad shell where it transitions from the flat hood sides to the rounded hood top it is 22 inches wide.

Those measurements should be the same for coupe/roadster or tudor in 1928 and 1929. 4-door bodies were custom built by two different manufacturers and the measurements will be different at the cowl. The rad shell should be the same. 1930 & 1931 measurements are different than 1928/29. The cars got slightly wider in the 1930/31's

There are at least 2 kits of the Porsche 928 with full engines. Revell did one in the late 70s when the car was new, haven't had one of those kits so I don't know what the detail is like. Italeri did a later series 928 S4 that was just reissued and easy to find. The engine builds up a little different than most Revell/ AMT engines and detail is a little soft compared to them but it would be a cool engine to use in a 32 or 29/30 Ford.