Model Cars Magazine Forum

round 2 website...

towtruck

A) I don't either, hence my cahoots comment in jest. I just can't recall seeing this much borderline overlap between AMT and Revell kits before.

B) I suspect that's what the reasoning was for reissuing the '56 Crown Victoria. I think more than one person who buys multiple copies of the Revell '57 Ford will combine many of the parts with AMT's '56 Crown Vic, so I guess it's a win-win for both companies.

A) True dat.

B) Agreed. If one's hot, the other should sell a few, too.

B)

There's been quite a few announcements made by Round 2 about what they're cooking up for this year. These are what I have so far, sorry I don't have more details as of yet -

1/25 1965 Ford Galaxie Stock Race Car (Fred Lorenzen)

1/25 1940 Ford Coupe

1/25 Ford LN8000 Race Car Hauler

1/25 Ford C600 Pepsi City Delivery Truck

1/25 1975 Chevy Rescue Van

1/25 1940 Willys Coupe Pickup Truck

1/25 Dodge Dart Sportsman Race Car (Petty)

1/25 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner

1/25 1960 Ford Ranchero (Ohio George)

1/25 1969 Chevelle Convertible

1/25 1936 Ford Coupe

1/25 1966 Mustang (could be a restoration of the GT Fastback? edit - nope, it's an "Airplane" movie tie-in of the convertible)

1/25 1969 Camaro

1/25 2013 Camaro ZL1

1/25 1971 Dodge Demon (MPC)

I cant find anything on their site about a 69 Chevelle convertible, or a 60 Ranchero.

Go to stevens hobby shop and go to amt listing. You will find a long list of new amt releases including the 69 chevelle convertible. Just no releases dates yet.

Tower Hobbies has them all listed (except for the Demon), along with tentative releases dates.

I agree on the van NOT getting the open window option returned,

they did not give us the open hood it use to have!!!

I had both the 1971-issue Rescue Van and the "New for 73" Surf Van back when - and still have the bodies. Neither of them had an opening hood. I was disappointed in that, and cut both hoods out to hinge so that at least the front of the engine could be seen.

IIRC, none of the AMT Chevy Vans had an opening hood. The FORD vans had - and still have ("Phantom" (ex-Vantom) an opening hood.

If Round2 DOES indeed bring back the multi-panel body and stock parts, it will be serious kudos due them.

IIRC, none of the AMT Chevy Vans had an opening hood. The FORD vans had - and still have ("Phantom" (ex-Vantom) an opening hood.

If Round2 DOES indeed bring back the multi-panel body and stock parts, it will be serious kudos due them.

I've got the Open Road Mini Motor Home, original Rescue Van, and '73 drag van annual kit. All three have separate hoods. Two have broken cowls, which led me to scare up a couple more of the early bodies (with the separate side panel inserts). Those have separate hoods too. The firewall in the Dirty Donny kit still has the notches where the original hood's vestigal "hinges" fit. I believe the hood was tooled into the body at the same time that the separate side panels were eliminated, which was for the Kandy-Van/Nirvana custom issues.

Recently, I built one of the Dirty Donny van kits. Among other modifications, I opened the hood. You can barely see the front of the engine, let alone the wiring. I won't glue the hoods shut on any of the early issue kits that I might build, but on the other hand I won't cut another later kit to get the opening hood. If I build any of the other customs (Sun Chaser, Xtasy, Foxy Box) those will probably get dark interiors and smoke-tint glass to keep things simple...

I have the Countdown Series '69 Chevelle convertible, basically the same parts as the Countdown Series '69 Chevelle ht (that issue had optional custom front and rear and no stock intake/carb/air cleaner parts, IIRC). Differences being a convertible body and boot. Oddly, that was the only issue of the '69 Chevelle conv AFAIK...I assume it was based on a promo body?

I have the Countdown Series '69 Chevelle convertible, basically the same parts as the Countdown Series '69 Chevelle ht (that issue had optional custom front and rear and no stock intake/carb/air cleaner parts, IIRC). Differences being a convertible body and boot. Oddly, that was the only issue of the '69 Chevelle conv AFAIK...I assume it was based on a promo body?

Rob, you are correct, it was based on the promo convertible body. It was nicely done and this reissue will be very appreciated. TIM

Rob, you are correct, it was based on the promo convertible body. It was nicely done and this reissue will be very appreciated. TIM

Yes, definitely looking forward to getting a couple of them..the one I have is a gluebomb. Maybe they will release it in a neat retro '69 style box like the recent Hurst/Olds reissue.

Edited by Rob Hall

The '69 Chevelle conv. is a great re-issue subject. All i have is a glue-bomb that i lack the ambition to fix. But fresh plastic is a different animal.

Thank you ROUND 2 !

Question: What kit has an uptop that will fit this body properly ??

The recent Revell '72 Cutlass Supreme convertible (the 2nd issue, street machine version)

1/25 Dodge Dart Sportsman Race Car (Petty)

Wow, if this is the short-track, kit-car chassis 1970(?) Dart with an opening trunk, I'll be doing cartwheels down my street when it gets reissued! I never thought we'd see this great little kit again. They go for top-dollar on the auction sites.

I think this kit was originally-issued with the Ford Race-car Ramp truck in the early-1970's, then reissued once more as a kit by itself a couple of years after that. So, it hasn't been on a store shelf since the mid-1970's!

Edited by '70 Grande