Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Return To Macon County" 57 Chevy

Car Crazy 81

Since i got this kit from member Turbo Kitty this one car came to mind the 57 Chevy from the 1975 movie Return To Macon County. Been wanting to build it for some time just could never find a suitable kit until now. First order of business was to remove the Bel Air side trim and to do that i'd used a burr attachment on my Dremel and off it went and filled the areas with spot putty. To replicate the interior i'd used some pleated rubber shelf paper from Home Depot.

snapshot20120428140134_5.jpg

snapshot20120428140134_7.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Edited by Car Crazy 81

i love that car!!! to bad they trashed it in the movie but def going to be watching this build! what kit are you useing for this build?

The kit im using for this build is a AMT 57 Bel Air which is a new tooling from 1999 that has the blue car on the box art. The kit number is: 8315 .

• 2 weeks later...

The body has some paint on it i'd used Krylon Sun Yellow over Dupli-Color White primer. The flames came from a Revell 57 Bel Air kit. The wheels came from a AMT 62 Bel Air with AMT 40 Ford Coupe hubcaps. The flames arent exactly accurate like the ones in the movie but it will do.

ReturnToMaconCounty57Chevy4.jpg

Nice paint Rick, krylon sun yellow looks really good on it. The flames look better the the car in the movie. What 57 kit was the flames in??

The kit i'd found the flames is the recently released Revell 57 Chevy Bel Air Two-Door Sedan 2 N 1 kit number 85-4251 silver with blue flames on the box art.

Nice start, never saw the movie, now I will look for it. I like the way you handling the interior.

Make sure to watch "Macon County Line" first. Written, directed and starred in as the sheriff, by none other than Jethro Bodine himself, Max Baer jr. ;)

• 6 months later...

I just got back started on this old girl that harebrained idea of mines on making Tuck N Roll out of shelf liner didnt work so i removed the old stuff and replaced it with Evergreen V-Groove part no 2080. Its .020 inch thick with a .080 spacing its pretty convincing for tuck n roll.

ReturnToMaconCounty57Chevy3.jpg

ReturnToMaconCounty57Chevy5.jpg