Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chezoom Corvair Funny Car

I thought the term "funny car" came straight from the Fact of bodies lifting up??

The term "funny car" predated the first flipping bodies by at least a year, maybe two. It came from the altered wheelbases (the rear axles, or both front and rear, moved forward). The cars looked stock (or stock-bodied), but "funny."

• 3 weeks later...

I see no provisions for it to tilt up in the normal funny car manner.

That chassis is based more or less on the McEwen '65 Barracuda chassis. The body didn't flip up on that car. Flip bodies didn't start becoming common until '66, and didn't completely take over the class until well into 1967 or later.

That chassis is based more or less on the McEwen '65 Barracuda chassis. The body didn't flip up on that car. Flip bodies didn't start becoming common until '66, and didn't completely take over the class until well into 1967 or later.

So does the body of model just sit lose on the chassis? Or is there some way securing it?

Scott

So does the body of model just sit lose on the chassis? Or is there some way securing it?

Scott

The body stretches over the completed chassis. It's pretty secure when finished. But you have to trim the rear of the chassis as shown in the instructions, PLUS additionally trim triangular sections of the outboard rear corners of the floor board (not shown in the instruction), for it to fit the Corvair body.

I only had to trim the rear wheels wells ever so slightly from the inside (no radiusing of the wheel opening from the outside is required.) The front axle also should be moved forward slightly (as is the case with virtually all of the AMT A/FX style funny car kits).

And, the instrument panel leaves a slight gap between its forward edges and the windshield/cowl of the body. Not too unsightly, particularly if you finish the IP in black.

All in all, it's a fairly cool look when finished.

TB

Started some basic work on my Chevooom tonight. Things are looking pretty good. One of the first things I did was to cut off the rear section of the chassis as shown in the instructions. By the way, my instructions do show the triangles that also need to be cut from chassis. Test fitting the chassis I can see why these cuts need to be done. And the chassis fits well after the cuts are done.

Scott

Good question Tim. I just got my Chevooom a couple of days ago. They make no real note of it, but the triangle areas are shown in gray in the instructions just like the other part that needs to be cut off. Sorry I'm unable to post a picture of my instruction sheet. But, it's there. Your comments about need to do the extra cutting got me to notice it. If you hadn't brought it up, I might have missed it at first. So thank you pointing out the need for extra cutting.

Scott