Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette zr1 W.I.P.

blackace183

It is a nice kit.

You won't need the distributor kit, though, as the LS9 has individual coils on top of the valve cover with a short wire going to the spark plug - IIRC, they are all molded in details.

HERE are some photos...

Well that's no fun haha but saves time and the kit to use on another project and nice call b4 I drilled holes haha!!

I think the best idea would be to soak the wheels in bleach in a closed container (shouldn't take longer than overnight, maybe a day), and then paint the rims with the buffing Aluminum Plate Metallizer (be sure to use the sealer!) which will make them look a little closer to the factory finish. If you want something a little less involved, if you have a can of Tamiya Aluminum spray paint, that will also do a nice job of replicating the non-polished rims.

As a heads-up, I think you'll find those transmissions are aluminum instead of a ferrous alloy (i.e., iron or steel), but that does look very good, and I think I'm going to use that for some of my projects I've had trouble finding a completely satisfactory color for.

If you're able to, Nick, c'mon up for MassCar's show, and if that 'Vette is done, please do bring it with you.

Charlie Larkin

Not sure if this is the exact same kit that I got at Michael's, but if so, check the blower to hood clearance. I used someone else's tip and added small strips of styrene to the bottom of the blower to raise it to a more realistic level. The 1:1 car has very little room between the engine and hood window.

I think the best idea would be to soak the wheels in bleach in a closed container (shouldn't take longer than overnight, maybe a day), and then paint the rims with the buffing Aluminum Plate Metallizer (be sure to use the sealer!) which will make them look a little closer to the factory finish. If you want something a little less involved, if you have a can of Tamiya Aluminum spray paint, that will also do a nice job of replicating the non-polished rims.

As a heads-up, I think you'll find those transmissions are aluminum instead of a ferrous alloy (i.e., iron or steel), but that does look very good, and I think I'm going to use that for some of my projects I've had trouble finding a completely satisfactory color for.

If you're able to, Nick, c'mon up for MassCar's show, and if that 'Vette is done, please do bring it with you.

Charlie Larkin

I was in love with gun metal so I was looking for somthing custom also and I might try somthing special for the wheels like that! And I might just come up (that is if they clear snow haha).

Not sure if this is the exact same kit that I got at Michael's, but if so, check the blower to hood clearance. I used someone else's tip and added small strips of styrene to the bottom of the blower to raise it to a more realistic level. The 1:1 car has very little room between the engine and hood window.

Thanks for the tip I saw somthing like that on a wip I looked at before I started it.