Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Scale 69 Camaro Z/28

Kenny B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Beautiful job on both of these Camaros!  They look so real and the paint is flawless.

What paint did you use on these?   

Michael, Thanks for the comments. Wow 4 years later and my post still comes around again.

The paint used was Model Master Gloss Black. It was sprayed with an airbrush then wet sanded, clear coated and polished.

Kenny, Is the Model Master Gloss Black from the Custom Lacquer System line of paints?  I see Testors has gloss black lacquer in both a spray can and jar?

Did you use Testors Model Master Ultra Gloss Clearcoat or Wet Look Clear?

Is the Hugger Orange Camaro also painted with Testors paint?

Edited by crowe-t

Kenny, Is the Model Master Gloss Black from the Custom Lacquer System line of paints?  I see Testors has gloss black lacquer in both a spray can and jar?

Did you use Testors Model Master Ultra Gloss Clearcoat or Wet Look Clear?

Is the Hugger Orange Camaro also painted with Testors paint?

Michael, The black was the jars of model master gloss black enamel not the lacquer.I thinned it out with airbrush thinner. Wet sanded in between coats with 4000 grit then sprayed it with I think it was Humbrol Clear.It was a while ago.

The orange was Testers Hugger Orange spray can. Sprays on flat then sprayed with Testers clear from their spray can.

Could have been the Lacquer System on that one.

I have now changed over my paint supplies to Tamiya Acrylic. It has no smell and easy clean up.

The trick is to wet sand it with min.of 4000 or finer to get any defects, orange peel etc out of it. Then polished with Meguiar's car wax. BUT you really have to be careful not to sand through the paint or the clear coat. Stay away from the edges. Body work has to be perfect for black paint. Any defects will stand out.

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

completely missed this topic..WHOW!..these Camaros are a knock out..

you got to be related to Hawk 312?..hahaha ,you build these kits so great ,it' has to be

still wondering though ..how on earth you get those tyres on the stock rallye wheels?..somehow the don't fit .or do they?

anyway..i'm starting my own Z/28 pretty soon..not sure which colour though..(not grey..been there..done that)

great stuff man!

Thanks Henry.

No I am not related to David, But he sure has a few nice builds that I would love to have. 

As far as the tires I stuff them full of cotton balls. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your build of your Z/28.

I'm a big fan of 69 Camaros as you can see.

Thanks again 

Ken.B)