Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Corvette Impala

kennb

The first thing I need to do is to get a scaled side elevation of this build. I did find a side veiw that is close to being corrected. Since it is a publicity shot they most likely used a Graphlex 8x10 view camera to correct the perspective you would get with a typical 35mm camera of the time period.This picture is show cropped to the parts that I need.

1956_Chevrolet_Impala_Motorama_Experimen

Then I had to get it to scale. Since I will be using both 1/24th and 1/25th cars to start with I will choose 1/24.5 scale which means the 116.5 wheelbase comes out to

4.76" . I imported the picture to word and sized the car using the scale to get the correct size. I just made a small box the correct length and then enlarged the wheel

base to fit the box and printed it out. Making several copies so that I have a clean copy at all times. Using this photo for reference I laid out the planning car over the

photo and was amazingly close. I noted that there are some thing that need to be addressed as I work the build. The wheel wells are all wrong and need to be redone.

The heights are dead on as is the curve on the back. I am going to have problems using the 59 Chevy front window since it is too wide so I will have to narrow it, resulting in

the need to form a new front window. About 2 months ago I picked up an old Mattel vacuformer so I am going to try to vacuform a new front glass for it.I have never tried

this before so it should be interesting. most of the chrome will work right off the tree except for the grills and side lights. Normally I would just Alcad this but for this car I

think I will send this part out to be chromed properly.

I go through all of this to give a hint as to the amount of planning I go through before I start a build that is not custom. Planning before cutting saves a lot of time in the

long run. I am sure that I will run into things along the way and may have to redo some parts as I go along to fit within the scale constraints.

Edited by kennb

the need to form a new front window. About 2 months ago I picked up an old Mattel vacuformer so I am going to try to vacuform a new front glass for it.I have never tried

Ken, in case you are not aware, there is a guy making the sheets for the old Mattel Vacuform. Right size with all the correct holes around the perimeter. They're available in both clear and white. Callari Modelworks modelwks@rochester.rr.com

found some more information that I will pass along,,,this is from Hemmings Motor News Dec 2011....lot of good pictures including one of the terrible back side...........................................................i would love to fix that but then it would not be authentic......maybe do one how it should have been also.. :P I do hope it is okay to post giving credit this way

corvetteimpala1_zps2885ea3a.jpg

corvetteimpala2_zps0ad9dc75.jpg

corvetteimpala3_zps126e3458.jpg

corvetteimpala4_zpsb9835ea0.jpg

I have seen the color as blue before and some pictures look blue. I trust the information from Hemmings more than any other source so what is here will be used.

As I'm looking at the last two photos, it occurs to me that you might not want to bother with the 59 parts for the A-pillar, and just scratch build them. At a glance they are similar, but that windshield appears to wrap back even further on the top than a 59 Impala. Another point is that you need a vertical A-pillar. The 59 Chevy angles forward before curving back at the top. Look at the side view you printed to see this. Just curious, but how are you determining the width of the car?

Hope my observations are helpful, I really want to see you do this right! This is a great project to take on - GOOOD LUCK!!

You are correct on that,,,,,you will also note there is a larger "bubble" on the top of the glass. I will most likely form my own glass. I will probably straighten the a pillar in construction. The width is determined by the track as noted in the Hemming News article. There is a lot to work out with the build ,ost will have to be figured out as I go.

regarding the C-pillar (rear window frame), it looks like a bit of trimming will have to be done if you're going to be using the 58 impala roof/rear glass area. The C-pillar on the '56 appears visually to be about half the width of the '58 C-pillar.

PS. I agree...the arse end of the '56 was not some of their most impressive work... but not as bad looking as one of their Caddy concept cars. :)

Edited by blunc

got the fodder to be cut up today to get this project running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,have scale photos to work from and input from a pew people I have met along the way.......................will have a list of contributors later as I get the remainder of the parts......see my lastest traders list for my wish list.

DSCN5902_zps8ea67321.jpg

Check the tops of your rear quarter-panels. the vette appears to have too much upward curvature (arched) over the wheel well. The Impala is much flatter according to the pictures. Looking promising though!

i will be getting to those.....there is a lot of work to do on the little details...thank you for commenting and pointing that out

front wheel wells were moved back 1/4 inch and the the space directly behind the wheel wells were cut out and swapped side to side to get the curve correct. the rear clip was cut out as shown and moved back 3/8 inch to bring the overall body length to 202 inches. the yellow panel is from a 53 vette to have the top line of the fenders correct to top was cut out of the 58 chevy donor and is cut into the corvette body. I added a 1/24th 53 corvette grill. It has more meat to it and closer to what is needed.. There are parts to 5 different vettes on this so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,last post for today...enjoy it is getting closer. Not all vettes are created equal...even in the same scale they do not match up to each other...there are little differences between manufacturers so there is a little fudging to do or filing to get parts to fit.

I have the frame started...I had to add 1 " to the length. I started to do the front steering and found I don't have all the parts,,,,I am missing spindles. Might rob them out of a new 58 corvette kit. The body is taking shape along with the side spears. lot of sanding and filling and sanding little low spots or pin holes....I may have a coat of primer on this week end. Then I have to finish the chassis and the interior...

DSCN5939_zps67aa279e.jpg

DSCN5940_zps29758e18.jpg

DSCN5941_zpsef151eab.jpg

DSCN5943_zps1b10cd0a.jpg

DSCN5944_zpsb6146a00.jpg

I ripped the front window out this morning,,,,,,i did not like how it turned out ....made a lot of changes and I think it has improved 100%. There also was some changes to the side window sills.

When we take a model out of the box we make an assumption that they are the same on both sides. What we don't see is that they may look close they are, in reality, not the same. There are small differences. The rear wheel wells on one of the v\corvettes were not the same curve or size,,,side to side. Close enough for 99% of the applications. I an not says I am better than the manufactures but that it is a fact. Mine will obviously have some differences because of the way I build.

DSCN5949_zps6c28068b.jpg

DSCN5950_zps87c1e7aa.jpg

When we take a model out of the box we make an assumption that they are the same on both sides. What we don't see is that they may look close they are, in reality, not the same. There are small differences.

Better you than me working on that windshield! :D

You are right, models aren't all perfect and symmetrical. When I was working on an AMT '32 Vicky I decided to cut up a second body to use the window frames as interior window frames on the opposite sides. That's when I learned that the windows weren't the same size from side to side! I did work it out though, as you can see in the below picture. It did come out decent.

IMG_2406-vi.jpg

Thanks for all the comments.........body is primed and ready for block sanding.............while the primer is drying I will work on the interior................................................ :) as a side note it is about the same size as a 58 Impala

DSCN5951_zpsd74d2607.jpg

DSCN5952_zps4dcff870.jpg

DSCN5954_zps188c235e.jpg