Model Cars Magazine Forum

11 Month Roadster

Lyle Willits

I started this back in January. Showed the unassembled parts at the Pa. meeting in July. Now it's finished.

IMG_3733-vi.jpg

Revell body, hinged hood, '34 Ford louvers grafted into hood sides, '36 Ford lights on scratchbuilt brackets,posable wheels, '40 Ford backing plates with Buick finned drums.

IMG_3740-vi.jpg

Up top modified from a '36 Ford. Chrome split wishbones with homemade mounts. Quick change rear, Model A buggy spring, homemade spring mounts. Photoetched wire wheels from Reps & Mins with chrome "V8" caps from Monogram woodie kit.

IMG_3754-vi.jpg

Caddy engine. Very carefully chopped windshield with acetate "glass".

IMG_3772-vi.jpg

Homemade fuel block with gauge. Fuel lines are surgical sutures. (My wife is a nurse.) Resin, stock '32 Ford firewall from Reps & Mins. Hood padding is painted masking tape.

IMG_3747-vi.jpg

Modified resin '40 Ford dash from Reps & Mins. '40 Ford wheel from Revell kit. Carpet is painted embossing powder, ball-head pin for shifter.

IMG_3751-vi.jpg

Hinge-mount mirror made from silver wire, running lights from tudor sedan kit, photoetched side curtain snaps. ( I kinda went nuts on some of the details)

IMG_3760-vi.jpg

'51 Chevy tailights.

IMG_3777-vi.jpg

I had a great time building this one, but after all this time, I'm kind of glad it's done.

Edited by Lyle Willits

Extremely well done. Everything works so well together, serious engine detail and the muted exterior color work great. The dash is an extra nice touch as is the interior coloring. All and all, it is a very convincing 32 high boy that is true to that style of hot rod…it looks like a car that would be very affordable and done in a small garage by a guy who wants to do most of the work himself. Great job. But that is no surprise.

Lyle, I went back and looked at the pictures again and have one little question…you used photo etched “snaps†on the doors for the side curtains for where they would attach to the car…nice touch, but upon further review, I noticed that the top has, I think 7 snaps on the bottom of the top to attach it to the body. I am surprised to see that there is no corresponding snap on the body to represent the anchor that the soft top would clip to on the car. Not a big deal, and if you want, it would be easy to add that detail. Just thought I would mention it…but it still is an amazingly convincing build.

I am surprised to see that there is no corresponding snap on the body to represent the anchor that the soft top would clip to on the car. Not a big deal, and if you want, it would be easy to add that detail.

LOL. Peter, you have very good eyes,,,,and very logical thinking.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I really don't know how you do it. You have such a great eye for what works, whether it's bikes, muscle cars or rods.

This is amazing...at a glance it's simple and unassuming. Look at it again, and you start to see the depth of the build. Very, very well executed.

No disrespect to Mr Lomardo or to you...but if all that is left to point out is a p-e snap, I think it speaks volumes about the quality of the build.

You with your snaps, Bill with his wiper motors...sooner or later you'll both start to take the hobby seriously and tighten up your game a little. :lol:

:P Well Lyle , now THATS a HOT ROD!!!! In every sense of the word to me! My Big Brudder Art, knew a guy who had one, a Blue one,that looks pretty close to yours. Even down to the matching spoke rims!He was runnin an ol Flattie Merc engine with 2 carbs. Man I remember that thing was NASTY! Yours look like it's got "tha Attitude" too, GREAT BUILD, as usual! :lol:

I started this back in January. Showed the unassembled parts at the Pa. meeting in July. Now it's finished.

IMG_3733-vi.jpg

Revell body, hinged hood, '34 Ford louvers grafted into hood sides, '36 Ford lights on scratchbuilt brackets,posable wheels, '40 Ford backing plates with Buick finned drums.

IMG_3740-vi.jpg

Up top modified from a '36 Ford. Chrome split wishbones with homemade mounts. Quick change rear, Model A buggy spring, homemade spring mounts. Photoetched wire wheels from Reps & Mins with chrome "V8" caps from Monogram woodie kit.

IMG_3754-vi.jpg

Caddy engine. Very carefully chopped windshield with acetate "glass".

IMG_3772-vi.jpg

Homemade fuel block with gauge. Fuel lines are surgical sutures. (My wife is a nurse.) Resin, stock '32 Ford firewall from Reps & Mins. Hood padding is painted masking tape.

IMG_3747-vi.jpg

Modified resin '40 Ford dash from Reps & Mins. '40 Ford wheel from Revell kit. Carpet is painted embossing powder, ball-head pin for shifter.

IMG_3751-vi.jpg

Hinge-mount mirror made from silver wire, running lights from tudor sedan kit, photoetched side curtain snaps. ( I kinda went nuts on some of the details)

IMG_3760-vi.jpg

'51 Chevy tailights.

IMG_3777-vi.jpg

I had a great time building this one, but after all this time, I'm kind of glad it's done.

Holy Cow, Lyle! That's just perfect! I look forward to seeing it in person (and keep your eye on it). LOL!