Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

:lol:;);):blink:

Raul, that looks GREAT

Wow, I am speechless. I really wish I could see this up close now.

Thanks, Clay!

Looks great. I love the molded in hitch detail. I'm assuming the trailer and Hauler will both get the cream and red (orange?) detailing of the Raptor hisself. It should look incredible!

Thanks, Bernard!

Yes, the hauler and the trailer will get the same general paint scheme as the Raptor. I may not carry the orange and black piping into the interior of the truck like I did the Raptor, but it's still too early to tell until I finailze how I want to finish the inside of the truck.

Later,

Thanks guys!! And, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!

Yeah...the truck and trailer are coming along nicely. Everything has a basecoat of green on it and I finally sorted out the interior. I still need to paint the chassis and build the engine.

I'll get some updated pics posted later today.

Later,

Great job, Raul! Always a treat to see your work!

Thanks, Dirk!!

I wish that I also had the machining tools and skills that you have to add to my skills as a retired old bodyman! :lol:

Well WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

OK...here you go...

I got the final coat of green and the initial coat of clear on all of the truck parts this evening. Once it dries for about a week I'll mask it off, spray the cream color, a little more clear and get it ready for the orange and black pinstripes.

DSC06033-vi.jpg

Here's a shot of the cutout in the running board, (just in front of the rear fender), for the slightly shortened exhaust system from the Revell '99 F-150 Lightning pickup truck. I used a lot of parts from the Lightning kit for this build.

DSC06042-vi.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the bed with the square hole for the receiver hitch. It came in real handy when I had to apply the final coat of green and the clear!!

DSC06043-vi.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the dash before it gets any detail painting. The insert from the Lightning dash has been grafted on top of the stock dash from the '53 pickup kit. By using the stock dash underneath, you always get a perfect fit to the windshield; (or at least as perfect as the original kit ever was). :D

DSC06044-vi.jpg

Here's a top view of the dash.

DSC06045-vi.jpg

To get the ride height I wanted with modern suspension up front, I grafted on the front frame clip from the Lightning kit. It still needs a bit of putty and finishing before it gets a coat of semigloss black.

DSC06040-vi.jpg

This one will be finished in time for the NNL West in March if everything continues to go well. I might even have enough time to finish the Future Rat!! :D

Later,

Ok now Raul, how are you gonna top this one? It just looks too cool!!!

So thats what you meant to do with the dash, I am gonna hav to try that with mine. Gotta clean of the bench first though.

Thanks, Clay!! What makes you think that I can't do better than this? :lol::P Remember, I've got more kits than I'll ever live long enough to build!!

I'll email you a picture of the back of the finished dash so you can get an idea of how much material I removed from the stock one to get the insert to sit down as flush as possible.

That is awesome! I got a question Clay how are you going to fit the raptor in the bed? ;):)

Thanks!!

Well, if Clay takes the same approach as I did, the Raptor will have its own custom trailer that gets pulled behind a really cool hauler! :o

Here's a mockup picture of the Raptor in the trailer (before the fenders got painted).

DSC06022-vi.jpg

Later,

Hey Raul :)

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

In the primered chassis pic I see toothpics and foam floral blocks. Is this one of those "great minds think a like" things :P , or did you "borrow" someone's idea ;):o .

Everything is really coming together, and lookin' SWEET !!

Ya, what are you going to do to top this? :blink: That's what I've discovered can be a major challange as your skills, and projects continue to get better, the newer builds demand more personal growth and an increased skill level, and an increase in your "Arsenal of Weapons" ;)

Always more fun. Thanks for sharing this project, so we can all enjoy it.

Regards - Dave :lol:

Hey Raul :D

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

In the primered chassis pic I see toothpics and foam floral blocks. Is this one of those "great minds think a like" things :lol: , or did you "borrow" someone's idea ;):P .

Everything is really coming together, and lookin' SWEET !!

Ya, what are you going to do to top this? :blink: That's what I've discovered can be a major challange as your skills, and projects continue to get better, the newer builds demand more personal growth and an increased skill level, and an increase in your "Arsenal of Weapons" :lol:

Always more fun. Thanks for sharing this project, so we can all enjoy it.

Regards - Dave :lol:

Well, Thanksgiving was just "OK". My wife and oldest son were down with the flu, then our new puppy got sick...need I say more???

I've been using toothpicks and foam for years, I just don't usually show pics of parts. I did this time because I knew that Clay was interested in how I was going to modify the frame and the interior. He's working on the same hauler and trailer set for the Avanti salt flat car that I built for him earlier this year.

DSC04753-vi.jpg

Besides the Future Rat that I'm building for the NNL West, I haven't given much thought towards what's next. I've done a lot of trucks lately, so maybe it's time to build a sweet little roadster like your '59! :P Then there's that T-Bolt that I still need to finish; the slightly modified '56 Del Ray that none of you have seen, or the...

Anyway, I'm glad that you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am.

Later,

Well, Thanksgiving was just "OK". My wife and oldest son were down with the flu, then our new puppy got sick...need I say more???

I've been using toothpicks and foam for years, I just don't usually show pics of parts. I did this time because I knew that Clay was interested in how I was going to modify the frame and the interior. He's working on the same hauler and trailer set for the Avanti salt flat car that I built for him earlier this year.

DSC04753-vi.jpg

Besides the Future Rat that I'm building for the NNL West, I haven't given much thought towards what's next. I've done a lot of trucks lately, so maybe it's time to build a sweet little roadster like your '59! :lol: Then there's that T-Bolt that I still need to finish; the slightly modified '56 Del Ray that none of you have seen, or the...

Anyway, I'm glad that you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am.

Later,

Check out the '66 Nova speedster that just popped up. What a mind blower :lol: . Where are all you guy's who build like this comin' from? Just too cool :rolleyes:

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Check out the '66 Nova speedster that just popped up. What a mind blower :P . Where are all you guy's who build like this comin' from? Just too cool :rolleyes:

Yeah...I saw it!! It's way too cool!! I'm not usually one for resculpting things like door lines to make a statement, but that one really sells the concept!

WOW......Raul This is a whole new way to build.....But Ya know a big Prevost support vehicle would fill it out :P:lol:

Mike,

This is the way I always build...I just usually don't show many of the in-progress shots unless there's someone that wants to see something specific like the custom dash or the frame.

No, Ed Roth was a simple guy. I don't think he would have ever had a Prevost. :D Besides, could you see a big ol' Prevost with a custom front end and a Raptor fin on the top of it?! :lol:

Later,

That is awesome! I got a question Clay how are you going to fit the raptor in the bed? :lol::rolleyes:

Actually this is Raul's build not mine, I have Salt Flat Racer Avanti to put in the back of my trailer. Which I just saw in the Model Cars Magazine that I just got from Gregg (Thanks Gregg!!!!!)

Here's a picture for TreeHugger Dave:

DSC06048-vi.jpg

Yes, I use a lot of toothpicks for staging parts to be painted. If I'm going to leave the parts attached to the foam when I paint them then I'll cover the foam with a piece of automotive grade masking paper (like the one in the rear).

I've got a bit of sanding and priming to do to the narrowed seat and the modified frame before I step out to paint this last group of parts for the hauler.

Later,

Here's a picture for TreeHugger Dave:

DSC06048-vi.jpg

Yes, I use a lot of toothpicks for staging parts to be painted. If I'm going to leave the parts attached to the foam when I paint them then I'll cover the foam with a piece of automotive grade masking paper (like the one in the rear).

I've got a bit of sanding and priming to do to the narrowed seat and the modified frame before I step out to paint this last group of parts for the hauler.

Later,

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS :lol:

THIS IS JUST TOO COOL :(

What are the odds of two guy's 750 miles apart, doing the very same thing, using the same pieces for a process, and I even use masking tape too, over the foam to keep the particles fom blowing up onto the pieces when I leave them stuck in the foam.

Whodda figured :o:P

Thanks for sharing the photo. Still hard to believe :o .

Here's a pic of parts chromed and some ready for chroming using the "TOOTHPICK AND FOAM METHOD" :blink:;)

2008_0731Photobucket10001.jpg

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS :lol:

THIS IS JUST TOO COOL :(

What are the odds of two guy's 750 miles apart, doing the very same thing, using the same pieces for a process, and I even use masking tape too, over the foam to keep the particles fom blowing up onto the pieces when I leave them stuck in the foam.

Whodda figured ;):o

Thanks for sharing the photo. Still hard to believe :o .

Here's a pic of parts chromed and some ready for chroming using the "TOOTHPICK AND FOAM METHOD" :blink::blink:

Yeah...that's too funny!! Equally twisted minds think alike!!

Maybe we'll start a fad!! We better buy stock in the foam and toothpick companies first thing Monday morning!! Maybe we'll make enough to pay for our hobby!! Probably not!! :o:P

Well, it's back to painting for me!! I've got an engine and a chassis the get painted and built while I wait for the paint on the hauler and the trailer to cure well enough to start masking and painting the cream color.

Later,

Yeah...that's too funny!! Equally twisted minds think alike!!

Maybe we'll start a fad!! We better buy stock in the foam and toothpick companies first thing Monday morning!! Maybe we'll make enough to pay for our hobby!! Probably not!! :(:lol:

Well, it's back to painting for me!! I've got an engine and a chassis the get painted and built while I wait for the paint on the hauler and the trailer to cure well enough to start masking and painting the cream color.

Later,

Look at all those parts in our pics. We must be nut's :o:P;)

And they call this a hobby??? :o:blink:

:):lol: Yeah........I could :lol::D

but who will be the corporate sponsor of the Raptor World Tour..???????? ;):o

That's too easy...the Raptor was built as a tribute to Ed Roth; Ed was often supported by Revell; there you go! :o

Here are a few mockup pics with almost everything painted with the base green color. I still need to narrow the tires and set the ride height on the trailer before I get the fenders painted.

DSC06051-vi.jpg

DSC06052-vi.jpg

DSC06053-vi.jpg

DSC06055-vi.jpg

DSC06054-vi.jpg

DSC06056-vi.jpg

Later,