Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID Quiz cheating

I got a very interesting PM the other day from a forum member who showed me how some of you guys are finding the answer to the Auto ID quiz so easily and quickly.

I've been wondering how a few of you guys were able to come up with the answer so fast... sometimes just minutes after I posted the quiz. Now I know how you do it.

Apparently we have a few cheaters here. I can't prove anything, but I have my suspicions. If you are one of the cheaters, you know who you are... and I think I do, too.

Obviously, the Auto ID Quiz is meant to be a fun game for you guys, and I assume that most of you play it the way it is intended to be played... you look at the photo, you make a guess, you look up stuff, you refine your guesses, etc. In other words, you do a little detective work to find out the identity of the car. But a few of you know the way to get the answer almost immediately, without doing any of the work.

So I'm wondering now why I even bother. I'm going to have to think about whether or not to continue Auto ID Quiz. It's on hiatus for the foreseeable future.

Ugh...what exactly is the point in cheating in a game with no prize?

I like the game because, as Harry said, it's a challenge to get an idea and spend a little time narrowing down choices until...bam!

I have seen some cars I never would have seen.

I'm sorry to hear this Harry - we who participate in the spirit of the quiz derive enjoyment and (sometimes ;)) satisfaction in getting the answer. Those that cheat can gain no pleasure from participation. Please continue for those of us that enjoy the thrill of the chase.

Ugh...what exactly is the point in cheating in a game with no prize?

To some; winning is more important than participating. Having their name on display as a 'winner', is very important.....

I think I know which tactique Harry is mentioning, unfortunately, I miss most of the car ID quizes, but when I see it, I do like the hunt. it tickles my automotive knowledge :)

Wow. Just such pathetic behavior. I have also wondered how so many can get these week after week. I just compared the the last five games. One person has guessed correct on all five, one of which he was the only one to correctly answer. Of the other four weeks, there are several others who guessed correct. Make of it what you will.

COME ON, PEOPLE!!! Really? Cheating? In a game about our own hobby? NOoooooooooooo...

I love this game and I really hope cheaters won't cause this game to stop.

That would be too much like in the real world, where cheaters mess up for the rest of us.

Harry, I truly hope you'll give us another one to puzzle over...

I usually spend hours to try and find the right answer. I like therse hours :-)

MG

ok... I have decided to keep on doing the game. I know now what I have to do in order to stop the cheaters. Tomorrow I will put up a new ID Quiz... cheatproof, I hope.

It will be very interesting to see whose names don't appear on the list of who got the answer right. If my suspicions are correct, I already know several that won't be on the list. ;)

I don't get it... why cheat? It makes the game pointless. It's like those crossword puzzle magazines that have the answer key in the back. Sure, you can "solve" the puzzle by copying the answers... but what would be the point? Same thing here... if you know how to do it the cheater's way, why even bother? I don't get it. :blink:

Oh well... for all of you guys who like to play the game the right way, new ID coming tomorrow!