Model Cars Magazine Forum

it could very well end up as a scratch-built model.

I do not have a real Seven. I thought about it, but went with a Corvette instead.

I see what you did there. Nicely done. :D

Out of curiosity, how many parts specs do you have memorized or written down for the Sevens? For example, do you have the mill specs/data for the cylinder head on file(?), or are you going on memory...or just going with what feels/looks good at the time?

Thanks guys! Here are some answers

Well…, I have the degrees for cutting seven facets into round stock memorized… But as for each part, I decide what I am going to make, and how it will fit to the overall model. Then I determine what part(s) need to be made to be the “anchors”. In other terms, parts that can be measured off to make other parts that will fit later.

While I have reference books for the real cars, I am not building this one to be one of them. Instead of building it as if it was a Caterham kit car, I am going for the initial Lotus mentality of making it to match the basic parameters of a Seven, but from raw and repurposed materials.

The original Lotus Sevens were minimalist kit cars. The “kit” was basically a list of (mostly used) mechanical parts to acquire and the specs and directions to build your own frame and body with simple tools and inexpensive materials.

The cam cover was made to fit a BDR head, so I matched the “footprint” and mounting points. When I make the head I’ll just meet those same requirements and make the bottom match the top of a BDR block. Since the mounting points are based on real car parts it should all fit together.

I have no idea when it will be done and am not building it for anything other than my enjoyment and as a challenge to myself, (I guess both are kind of the same). So if I get it done in time for a GSL I don’t know which year it will be…

I proudly use Sherline, and highly recommend their products.

And now back to the program in progress:

Before I could fully finish the shape of the rear of the hood, I needed a cowl piece to mate it to. The cowl is made from the same piece of brass as the hood. Here is the basic shape cut from the sheet.

DSC01357.jpg

I hammered over the front edge and reinforced it with solder. Relief cuts were made into that flange to allow the shape to match the hood starting at the top center and working outward.

DSC01359.jpg

Then a lip for the hood to sit on was formed and soldered on while shaping it to match the hood.

DSC01361.jpg

Another arch was made of brass rod and set inside the lip with solder.

DSC01363.jpg

Still a little more work fitting the cowl and hood together, but they are coming along…

DSC01362.jpg

Doesn't mean I can't put a confederate flag, or at least a union jack on it...

I made some intake horns with mounting flanges so I could mock up/measure the spacing and location of them and the carbs in relation to the hood and determine where to cut the hole in the side of the hood. The intake manifold and carbs are measurements I have, plus I have a few finished Sevens I can measure from too.

DSC01307.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments, especially from some of you guys that also impress me with your skills and workmanship.

Before I cut the hole, I made ribs to add some rigidity to the hood and soldered them in. I also did a little more work to true up the fit to the cowl.

DSC01342.jpg

Then I cut the hole. Still need to do some surface work, but it is stable now.

DSC01340.jpg