Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Bonneville

Hey all,

Need some help and opinions...

I bought this kit about 20 years ago.

HasegawaPontiac.jpg

Built it, then somehow superhornet1015 ended up with it, haven't seen it for years.

then he digs out an old AMT Prestige Series '65 Pontiac Grand Prix of his, and lo and behold, there is my built Bonny.

So, I get it home take it apart, and discover just how plain and simplified this kit is.

66chassisandinterior.jpg

It's a curbside kit, the chassis and the interior don't even look right. Decal for the instruments, etc.

The tires aren't too bad, but the rims are nothing like I've ever seen on any Pontiac I know of,

So, I would like to update this car with some better, more accurate parts. Can anyone recommend a doner kit for this car?

I've been eyeing up the AMT 1962 Pontiac Catalina possibly for a chassis and maybe an engine..

I was experimenting last night with parts from a Monogram '69 GTO (chassis and drivetrain)

that I'm also rebuilding to see how it might look.

66bonnywithgtochassisandwheels.jpg

What do you think? I don't think the Rallye II rims were available in '66, so I doubt that would be accurate. Looks good though :lol:

Any recommendations B) You guys got my creative juices flowing :lol:

Cheers, Ian

Ian, I have that model, and I rebuilt it useing the AMT 65 Bonnevile. You can still get the proper 66 interior from the Modelhaus for cheap.they carry just the dash and seats too, if you want to use the interior bucket of the 65. You have to cut the hood open on the Hasi kit, as it is a curbside. Go ahead and go for it caz i ended up payin some BIG bucks for a 66 MPC Bonneville when i FINALLY found it!B):lol: :lol: ;)

I wonder how the AMT '67 Impala chassis would fit under your Pontiac? As I recall, these Hasegawa kits had a very generic dash and interior, maybe at least the dash from the AMT '65 Bonneville would work ( the gauges in the middle of the dash were round in '65, square for '66, but the rest of the dash looks the same).

• 1 month later...

Chuck,

Didn't Arii or Aoshima also release a '72 GTO? I bet that one is real treat as well. :lol:

I don't think I have ever seen one of those but the Hasegawa "66" Impala I had was actually a 65, and the front and rear bumpers were warped when I opened it from new. The kit had generic wire wheels and honestly, the interior wasn't much better than those old Palmer kits of years gone by. The plastic whitewall inserts split as soon as I put them in the tires and overall, the kit just didn't do the real car justice. needless to say it was my first and last experience with Japanese kits.

I have that kit as well (unbuilt), and the AMT '67 Chevy Impala chassis would be better suited for that than the '62 Poncho. You may have to do some chassis tweaking of the Chevy, but the B body Chevy and Pontiac rode on identical frames in those years, with the Pontiac more than likely being a bit longer in the wheelbase.

Hope this helps!

For me, that Hasegawa kit was only purchased because of the subject matter it depicted... or was supposed to depict. At the time, it was far more expensive than most other kits and I was older and not really building much during that point in my life. To spend that kind of money and be that disappointed in the quality (or in this case lack thereof) for the price, led me to not even consider the Buick, Pontiac and Cadillacs that were in this series. I am sure the quality has gotten better over the years but, I guess none of the subject matter has really appealed to me so, I just never purchased anymore Japanese kits. I thought about the Trumpeter 63 Nova but, the proportions on it are all wrong, the rear bumper hangs down like an afterthought,the rear wheel openings are off, and the rear 1/4s too short. The convertible is even worse, with its cartoonlike too tall windshield frame. For $40, I think I'll pass on all that inaccuracy. The same is true of the Trumpeter 78 Monte Carlo. Yes, it looks a lot better than the Nova kit does but, it is off in so many ways, that I can't see spending $40 on it, $15 or even $20, maybe, but the extra cost just because it is made in Japan is not justified by its lack of accuracy in my eyes. I can say I am dissapointed in all the inaccuracies in the current Revell 69 Nova kits as well,(who is it at Revell who thinks every car has squared off wheel openings????) and if they were sporting a $40 pricetag, I wouldn't have bought one, either. Just my own opinion

Edited by exnyman

I have that kit as well (unbuilt), and the AMT '67 Chevy Impala chassis would be better suited for that than the '62 Poncho. You may have to do some chassis tweaking of the Chevy, but the B body Chevy and Pontiac rode on identical frames in those years, with the Pontiac more than likely being a bit longer in the wheelbase.

Hope this helps!

Bonnevilles and Star Chiefs rode a 124-inch wheelbase. The Catalinas and Grand Prixs used a 121-inch wheelbase. I'd advise sourcing an AMT 1965 Bonneville for the chassis and running gear, and Modelhaus' interior.

Charlie Larkin

I was going to recommend that Charlie, but I hate the total lack of detail that '65 Bonnie has in the chassis department. Of course, if he wants a quick build without a lot of fuss------then that would be the way to go. :D

I'm just not a big fan of molded in exhausts and driveshafts! ph34r.gif

I was going to recommend that Charlie, but I hate the total lack of detail that '65 Bonnie has in the chassis department. Of course, if he wants a quick build without a lot of fuss------then that would be the way to go. :angry:

I'm just not a big fan of molded in exhausts and driveshafts! ph34r.gif

And splicing-and-dicing with me usually turns into disaster, so I guess we balance each other out, Bill! Although, in all honesty, very few do it as well as you do. I love your work and the dedication you put into your builds. I'm hoping to make NNL-East this year, and if you do, I'd love to meet up with you.

I honestly don't mind the molded-in stuff; I've gotten pretty good at painting it, so it doesn't bother me too much, and sometimes, all the extra parts are just that- extra parts that cause frustrations. I agree, if you want more detail to go with the '67 Chevy, which has a beautiful chassis. You'll need to add the five scale inches to the wheelbase, and probably adjust the floor, drive shaft, and so forth, though.

Charlie Larkin

I noticed the box art for the Bonneville says 1/24th scale.

I had an original MPC '66 Bonneville, and I once measured it and the Hasegawa body side by side, and the measurements were identical. I thought I read somewhere that the Pontiac in particular was the old MPC tool reboxed (and with non original parts) into the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by MrObsessive

Bill, The parts are just a scoonch off! The glass interchanges as do the interiors, but the front grille on the hasi kit is just a hairs width to wide. The rear bumpers and taillight assembly are the same way, just that little smidge off. NOTHING you CAN'T fix with a file or emery board. But side by side, you'd think they WERE molded from the same master.;):o;)

• 5 months later...

I built one of those when the kit came out back in the 1980's, as I had no idea of where to get a MPC '66. I found a built-up MPC '66 Bonneville at the NNL east, and finished it off with some Modelhaus chrome, and some MCW paint.

2006_1125modelsnov260010.jpg

The Hasegawa body was in the "For Sale" pile, until I tried to get a MPC '66 Bonneville convertible. Even the worst glue-bombs are going close to $100, so I am going to get a Modelhaus interior and boot, and convert it into a convertible.

Edited by Ron Hamilton