Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real Or Model #17 Finished!

Real or model?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

• Real
    • Model

It's gotta be a model. Who would paint a real Ferrari to look like a Cobra Daytona??

Hmmmmmm..... :P Enzo's gotta be rolling in his grave over that.

Actually the livery isn't quite the same as the Cobra Daytona. The blue #24 250 GTO was prepared by Mecom Racing and ran at Sebring in 1963, driven by Roger Penske and Augie Pabst. It has a solid stripe that fans out towards the front, rather than the twin racing stripes of Cobras. The resemblance between the GTO and the Cobra Daytona coupe, especially in this livery, is remarkable. The GTO came first...

I have discussed painting a Corvette C6R model in Aston Martin racing green... :P;)

Bob is right. The colors are blue/white on this Ferrari for the same reason as on the Cobra. They were the International Racing colors of the country the TEAM was from. In this case and the Cobras...the blue and white represents the United States, even if the car is a Ferrari. Such colors were required by international racing rules in those days.

Ok harry, this one cost me a full year supply of Tylenol... :D

It looks real... :rolleyes:... so it is a 50/50 chance guess...

I will go for model this time. The only two things that make me think it is a model are:

1) I don't see a gap betwen the door and the front fender.

2) The door skin seems to be too thin.

Door fits too well because this car while originally a hand hammered aluminum race car, it is now a $6-7million collecctor car which has been , like most such cars, wayyyy over "restored". If you look at details like:

- around the air vents above the grille, the parting lines and fastener holes

- the adjuster screws around the headlights

- the bulbs in the back of the driving lights

- the screws inthe lens of the side marker light...

Many such little tiny details make me certain this is a 1:1 Ferrari.

Richard

URGENT BULLETIN FROM THE CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT B) : I actually found the photo a long time ago, so I forgot the details. For the record, YES, I did black out the background (but didn't touch the car), and it's not 1/8, but 1/5 scale!

I don't have any other photos of that particular model, but here's another one from the same source, weathered to look raced. They do pretty nice work... :angry:

GTLeMans62.jpg