Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air brake pods on the freightliner

Yes they are correct many older AMT kits have what are called wedge brakes including the Freightliner. Wedge brakes are older technology that went away in the early 70s. The brakes you're probably more familiar with are called S cam brakes some AMT kits have those. Many older AMT kits have no steer axle brakes which was normal on tandem axle tractors till the laws changed in the early 70s. Basicaly on wedge brakes the air chamber pushes a wedge between the brake shoes forcing them against the drums. On S cam brakes the air chamber pushes on the slack adjuster to rotate the shaft with S cam on the end forcing the shoes against the drum much like the lobe on a camshaft pushes the push rod to open a valve. Sorry about the big answer for a simple question.

Ill tell you Leo, I've been looking but can't find anything so far, I get close but strike out. I can't remember who gave me a air brake picture that was really really great. It was S cam type but its helping a lot with my Titan I'm doing. I will show some picks tomorrow. Thanks so much for even trying. :)

Ill tell you Leo, I've been looking but can't find anything so far, I get close but strike out. I can't remember who gave me a air brake picture that was really really great. It was S cam type but its helping a lot with my Titan I'm doing. I will show some picks tomorrow. Thanks so much for even trying. :)

Anytime.