Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Isaac' Dodge Daytona

TooOld

These are photos of a model I built back in the 80's . It was built using the Dukes of Hazzard kit . The nose and wing are balsa wood and everything else was made just using stuff I had around the house . I don't remember what paint was used , but it was never clear coated . No decals either , it is all hand painted . I also modified the chassis so the body could be removed for display .

I used an article in Circle Track as a guide for this model . Thanks for looking .

BOB.

Edited by TooOld

Thanks guys . That was built more than 25 years ago . My hands aren't that steady anymore and my eyesight gets worse all the time . I doubt I could do that kind of work today . I still look at it occasionally and think about spraying a nice clear on it , but then I'm afraid of ruining it !

Thanks again .

BOB.

Nice build! Just a FYI the car never ran a single race decaled like that! That was the LSR car with 1971 style numbers and all the names in the rear stripe. So you built a model of a pretty rare 'bird'!

You're correct . On Nov . 24 , 1970 Isaac set a 1 lap record of 201.104 at Talladega with this car . A few months later at Bonneville , Isaac drove this car to 28 Land Speed Records , including 4 World Records . After Bonneville it sat behind Harry Hydes shop and was never run again ! It sat there for 5 years until it was moved to the museum at Talladega . My build represents the way it was painted for the Bonneville trials . The names on the stripe are the crew members that built the car . Harry Hyde put the lightning bolt on the wing .

BOB.

Isaac was the 2nd driver to exceed 200 mph in a stock car on a closed course . Buddy Baker was the 1st .

Edited by TooOld

After Bonneville it sat behind Harry Hydes shop and was never run again !

The car sat at the shops at the corner of Hwy 29 and Morehead Rd for years. About 1974 while my now brother-in-law and I skipped school to make the rounds of NASCAR shops (we did this often!) After Frank Warrens shop at Hwy 49 and Morehead Rd we headed for The K&K Hyde shop. The Daytona had a ratty brown cover on it. We asked Harry if we could take the cover off and look at the car. He said 'sure' and walked out there with us. After we looked at the car for a few minutes Harry said 'It's for sale'......without a moment we asked 'how much??"....Harry said $5000.....the deal of the century if there ever was one. But to two pretty poor Carolina boys it might have been a million......Always wondered if we had the $5000 if he'd sold it? After all just 3 miles away at Tiger Tom Pistones were 30 old race cars for sale in the $1000 range....some more famous than this Daytona.......Really wish I had the $$ back in the day........

Edited by Dave Van

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Thumbs Up from everyone !

I was surprised to see this post back in circulation , I thought it was long gone .

By the way , alot of the lettering and other details were done using lettering pens designed for drafting , along with black ink . I've seen them at Michaels . It's a lot easier than trying to paint them with a brush !

BOB .