Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

Even though Mercury went to the stacked headlights in '65 for the Comet while Ford kept the side by side headlights in the Fairlane I'm pretty sure they're the same chassis. I cannot wait to see what the chassis and suspension looks like on this kit... especially that sweet little 289.

Will this kit depict the 289 "High Performance" engine or just the standard 4 barrel? If its going to be a Hi-Po in the kit... man... I'd buy a few! I need a good chassis for my replica build of my dad's 65 Fairlane when I get to starting on it....

65-K-Code_zpsfh99hfti.jpg

The Comet chassis is actually much more closely related to the Falcon than to the Fairlane. And while there were over 12,000 Cyclones made, only 90 of those had the HiPo engine - the rest had the regular four barrel 225hp 289.

The 200 six was the standard engine for all '65 Comets except the Cyclone - so yes, you could get a 2 door hardtop Comet with a six. You'd have to change the grille, wheel covers and some badging to build a non-Cyclone Comet model.

Here's a link to a scan of a 12 page "Collectible Automobile" article about the '64-'65 Comets:

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/Accidental_Internediate.html

Dave, is it too late to consider doing the transmission separately as Revell did for the 64 Thunderbolt? I still wish this was done on many current kits, since some will want one or the other and they won't stay on the fence about buying one if it has both. Not to mention might sell a few more because people might buy a few more to have parts for the stash for other projects that were not as well thought out concerning options from the kit manufacturer.

Even though Mercury went to the stacked headlights in '65 for the Comet while Ford kept the side by side headlights in the Fairlane I'm pretty sure they're the same chassis. I cannot wait to see what the chassis and suspension looks like on this kit... especially that sweet little 289.

Will this kit depict the 289 "High Performance" engine or just the standard 4 barrel? If its going to be a Hi-Po in the kit... man... I'd buy a few! I need a good chassis for my replica build of my dad's 65 Fairlane when I get to starting on it....

65-K-Code_zpsfh99hfti.jpg

That's it!! That is how I am going to do my '65 restoration when I build it. That is one beautiful car.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Dave,

On behalf of myself, thank you for the work you do at Moebius. The models your company produces are some of the best I've seen for the money. I am very happy with the product. I can't wait for the Ford F100's, the '61 Pontiacs, '65 Plymoth Satellite, and the '65 Comet Cyclone.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

The Comet chassis is actually much more closely related to the Falcon than to the Fairlane. And while there were over 12,000 Cyclones made, only 90 of those had the HiPo engine - the rest had the regular four barrel 225hp 289.

The 200 six was the standard engine for all '65 Comets except the Cyclone - so yes, you could get a 2 door hardtop Comet with a six. You'd have to change the grille, wheel covers and some badging to build a non-Cyclone Comet model.

Here's a link to a scan of a 12 page "Collectible Automobile" article about the '64-'65 Comets:

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/Accidental_Internediate.html

Yes the Mercury Comet is based on the Falcon chassis as the Mustang, the 62-65 Ford Fairlane are slightly larger and only shares chassis with the 62-63 Mercury Meteor.

Edited by Force

• 1 month later...

DOH! I'm gettin old and senile! I lose track of the callendar some times! Comet - hoped for release before end of 2015!

Don't feel alone. Since I turned 50 years are only lasting 4 weeks. (L) I cannot wait to see some images on this one. I hope the F100 launches huge and Moebius profits accordingly. You guys are a class act.

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth, we have started tooling on the 1965 Cyclone kit. @ this date it looks like kits should be available in early 2016..

I'm expecting a firm schedule from our partner in the next several days and should know when to expect first test shots once I see that schedule.

• 4 months later...

You could really rock the boat and photo shop a picture of the real car and make it gray. Then sit back and see how many flaws the rivet counter types can find in it. I think I'd pay to see that happen, but you have to wait at least two weeks of it being picked apart on the forums before you let them know that they just found out what was wrong with the real car, and comparing photos to the real thing.

Yeah, about fools - 

Okay.  So in order for this little test to have any basis in reality, it's really most advantageous to you if "rivet counters" have a pretty consistent track record of being WRONG about the errors they point out - otherwise, how likely are they to be mistaken in your 1:1 photo test?

So I guess you all have this whole litany of rivet counter mistakes to lift your test scenario out of a fond little fever dream. Right?

Not saying that they're all wrong, but if one person, possibly even one in on the social exercise put in a statement about something being off, not glaringly bad just enough to put a seed of doubt out there that by the days end that minor sort of problem would be like putting a cow pattie in a pie eating contest, everybody would know something stinks they just can't decide exactly what it is, and anyone who had an opinion would be piling on. 

Still think it'd be a cool idea,maybe around April sometime.

Edited by horsepower

Who says they are wrong? It is just pissing about the spacing of 1/25 exhaust ports is just that, pissing. If that is all you have going wrong in your life, you have it pretty darn good.

Gentlemen. The WHOLE PREMISE of the test is for rivet-counters to pick nits on an actual 1:1 car posing as a model. BY DEFINITION, they'd HAVE TO BE MISTAKEN to do so. And the behavior forecast for this photo test would have far greater credibility if more rivet counters had a track record of being mistaken in what they observe of models.

So these nits would get picked based on a follow-the leader suggestion, then, and sod all comparative analysis?  Alright, and I suppose there's a pattern of behavior in the discussions around here to support that notion?

Cool ain't the word for it. It's BEAUTIFUL, Del. I am so ACHING for something like this to happen, perhaps to an extent you might not believe.  Oh yes, you can bet it'd be quite the social experiment.  

And if somebody finds a way to set such a thing up, I just might.  On the order of 5 to 1, say.

Lee you got it. Its even more ludicrous when you realze we are talking about something being off several hundredths of and inch!!

The pessimist says the glass is half empty, the optimist says its half full, and the complainer finds fault with the glass and and the water

It's been said that I take more of the 'there is no glass' view...(nihilist?)  ;)

You could really rock the boat and photo shop a picture of the real car and make it gray. Then sit back and see how many flaws the rivet counter types can find in it. I think I'd pay to see that happen, but you have to wait at least two weeks of it being picked apart on the forums before you let them know that they just found out what was wrong with the real car, and comparing photos to the real thing.

It is interesting that they did post photos of the test shots of the Ford truck, Satellite and Pontiac kits, but nothing so far of the Comet...probably afraid of criticism and feedback.

I think its more than have gotten tired of everything being picked apart with the a non contructive agenda. We go through the same litney for each new realease with the negatives over shadowing the postives and in most cases the positives not even being acknowledged.  It gets real old for everyone.

It is interesting that they did post photos of the test shots of the Ford truck, Satellite and Pontiac kits, but nothing so far of the Comet...probably afraid of criticism and feedback.

There's ALWAYS gonna be criticism and feedback as that is a "given." Some people can't leave well enough alone, and some people can't build models 'cause they're too busy complaining.