Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

I'm not prepared to comment about what is or isn't in the kit until I have one in my hands and it's hard to tell from these images. Radio? I don't know. But it looks there are metal scripts for the trunk and driver side. I'll have to go back and look...is there a 300 SL script for the dash?

Rudge wheels? All you need is knockoff spinners from the AMT kit, though the slot pattern would be more like factory racing wheels than a real Rudge design.

Edited by sjordan2

With out a opening boot lid, where is the luggage going to go ?

:lol:

1. The trunk opens and contains a spare tire, etc..

2 The rear deck area behind the seats is designed to hold a pair of suitcases and has a rail along the perimeter to tie down the luggage.

Edited by sjordan2

1. The trunk opens and contains a spare tire, etc..

2 The rear deck area behind the seats is designed to hold a pair of suitcases and has a rail along the perimeter to tie down the luggage.

I meant on the model , not the real car, I know the real car the boot lid opens up, but it does not appear that way on the model.

compare this to the ancient AMT offering? ha. i am weighing in heavily on the side of modern Tamiya, and i remember building that AMT mess. never did finish it, after all my (pre being half serious again) building efforts, the body was warped, the glass didn't even sort of fit, and the warp was so severe i ruined the body trying to correct it. that had to be back in the seventies. i think i still have that junk around here somewhere.

very very excited to see Tamiya get into this one. what can be next?

jb

maybe i am remembering wrong then, because i seem to remember the detail being pretty soft, but i could just be totally spoiled by typical Tamiya quality and level of detail. i have never gotten another of that kit but i think i do still have that project around somewhere. i should dig it up and revive it. .... nah. i will wait for Tim's comparison!

what i hope is that this signals a move on Tamiya's part to start issuing new tool vintage sports cars. that kind of stuff i don't mind busting loose with 60$ or so if the level of detail is right.

jb

I'm not sure whether my AMT kit will forever stay in its box.

It does a stellar job of capturing the car's overall shape and that

A. counts more for me than having the minutest detail underneath represented

B. is something the Tamiya kit has yet to prove itself.

So far, we only have a few photos to go by, nobody has held it in his hands and glanced along its lines from every angle.

Tamiya kits can tend to be a tad too good and thus oddly soulless.

My AMT kit has languished in the box for a while and likely will for a while more, but it will, eventually, be built,, painted one of the four Taimya silvers, box stock. While I probably won't get one, I do very much appreciate the Tamiya kit as the car is one of my favorite classic sports cars- the other being a Jag E-type. Now, if Tamiya would do one of them... :)

The news of this kit is BIG for me. I totally love the 300SL, and the fact that Tamiya will be doing this is like all my Christmases coming at once. I don't think there is any car kit that I have ever wanted this much.

I have several 300SL kits (un built); the AMT one, the Italeri one, the Humborol one, and an Airfix (which is the same as the Italeri) . I have been planning a build for many years, but I will keep these old kits on the shelf in favor of the Tamiya one now.

The AMT kit is the old Frog kit dating back to the late 1960's (as far as I know). It must have been quite an advanced kit for its time, but compared to the Tamiya I think it will be no contest. The AMT is 1/25 scale (so, the wrong scale for all my other Euro cars collection), and has several proportion errors in the body. Knowing Tamiya, theirs will be more accurate.