Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's my exciting red hot rod! :shock: ok well maybe not. :roll: But it does get me to and from work every day, and is great on gas.

DSCF1497-vi.jpg

It's a 1992 Dodge Dakota with 4 banger 5 speed. I try to keep it looking nice and running well, but I could still probably sell the cap for more than the truck. Still it's in nice shape for a 15 year old truck. Hey Chip Foose, if you're listening you can overhaul this anytime. nothing fancy, just a Hemi, 6 speed, big inch Torque Thrusts and some muscle car graphics would be just fine! 8)

This summer I hope to find a nice 1966 or earlier VW as a fun car.

Hans, that El Camino is my favorite of the ones posted so far :lol:

This is our daily family car (I don't drive, so technically it's my mom's)

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited...we got it in 2003. It's beginning to have some issues (Interior leaks, devolping rust in at least 6 places on the body, tailgate only works sometimes, etc) but it's all we've got to use, so we are hoping it lasts a while.

I am hoping it lasts much longer, as when my mom buys something new this would become mine.

This shot is from the day we brought it home.

Picture003-vi.jpg

This shot is from April of last year. In the winter of 05-06 somehow one of the fog lights turned up missing it's cover so we replaced them with aftermarket items.

2006April20th005-vi.jpg

This is my brother's daily driver, a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. He bought it brand new, when he took it out for a test drive it had only 12 miles on it :shock: Since he drives it to work everyday, and at work has had to use it to make deliverys and pickups on multiple occasions, plus other assorted driving, he's already cleared 5,000 miles on it. We all went over to the dealership and got it, and we got it the day after Christmas in 2005.

TNMCCJanuary2006025vi-vi.jpg

TNMCCJanuary2006027vi-vi.jpg

That's it! No fun cars, no classics, nothing! We always run our cars until they die...We don't trade them for something a couple years newer or possibly better appointed...We buy them used and get as much use out of them as we can!

These two are the ones that got replaced, when they died.

Our van. It was a 1990 Ford Aerostar, that was more rust then anything else. We had it from 97-03. We got rid of it at the best time. We sold it to the shop that we bought our Jeep from (a mechanic shop) who was planning on using it for parts storage on his lot. Well, one of his customers begged him and begged him for it, until he relented and sold it to him. The first day he had it out, it just completly stopped working, while driving, and was totaled! Luckily, this was on a country road with speeds of about 30 MPH. If we hadn't gotten rid of it when we did...Well...Myself and my mom probably would be dead now! We were going to Lake George that day and would have been traveling on the interstate, with speeds of 60 MPH (Any more then that and the van literally started to shake apart) and bunches of 18 wheelers!

This is the only shot of it I got with the digital camera, although I do have some on film that I have just not scanned yet.

Picture004-vi.jpg

This was my brother's old car. A 1996 Chevy Cavalier that he bought in 1997. He was the first owner but it was a display car, I guess you could call it, and it was well worn when he got it. This is the first car I ever drove. He replaced it when the engine block cracked.

Sorry the picture is lousy, but it's the only one I have digitally that doesn't have my brother in it, and he wouldn't want me to post that shot on the board...

3905004-vi.jpg

This shot holds a ton of memorys for me. Both the cars in this photo are ours. This shot is circa 1991. The Torino wagon, named Sheba, is the first car I have any memory of being in. It had brown vinyl interior! :) I don't recall too much about it, as I was very young when we got rid of it. It was our family car for a time, then my dad's work driver. The 83 Citation, that was out family car for quite some time. We got it in 1990, when our 66 Chevelle 4-door (My mom's dailly driver!) rusted so badly that there was no back floor. With a 6 year old (me!) back there, dad decided to get something else instead of repairing it...Something 17 year later my mom is still angry at, lol. So, he brought home the Citation. That was our daily driver from 1990 until 1997, and my dad's backup car until 1999. When we got it, it was still in fairly good shape. Granted, the AC and radio never worked (turning either on would make the car turn off!) and it had a tendancy to just stop working from time to time, but other then that it was still OK. As time went on, it got quite worn out. The headliner fell and would constantly hit anyone in the car in the head, until mom and dad ripped it out, and we had a moldy foam headliner, lol. The struts for the hatch eventually wore out too, so to go in the hatch you had to hold the tailgate open with one hand and do whatever you needed to do with the other. After dad brought the van home, he used it as his second car, until the driveshaft broke, at which point he decided it would be cheaper to junk it and replace it with a 91 Suburu Legacy wagon, which he had until he died in 2002. By then the Citation was pretty rusty too. We have no garage so the weather takes it's toll on our cars.

TorinoandCitation419-vi.jpg

I have stories of lots of other cars we had too :)

nice iron pig there aaron. i looked for one of those in nice condition for a couple years before i bought my fj60...i was inspired by a neighbor in montana who had a fj55 with a 327 in it but who wouldnt sell it even after cajolling him for a year about it. so i decided to build my own.

where you at in cali anyway? maybe we could go explore nevada sometime.

I'm pretty mucha staunh Ford man. Right now I have two F-250s, both 4x4s, but yet very different.

This is Pearl. She is a 1977 F-250 ranger. My dad bought her new in July of that year. He took her off the road in '89 when he bought a new F-150. It's a project that I hope to have running by her 30th birthday.

I need to get a new pic, right now the front clip is off, and the engine ready to come out. BTW, its a non original 351M backe dby the original C-6.

05-23-2006052007PM.jpg

And this is Li'l bruser. he is a 1985 F-250 XL. No power windows or locks, no A/C, no lighter, not even a cloth headliner for that matter! This is the work truck of the two. It has 24,000 original miles and I'm the second owner. It has a 460 backed by a 4 speed stick.

Picture.jpg

I love both of these trucks. I'm still mastering the hydraulic clutch in Bruiser though.

Great lookin' Stang, Steve. Hey, doesn't it closely resemble the model you built? Silver stripes to follow?

News flash... earlier I said I had an 03 Subaru Outback... No More! Trade in fodder for my new toy, an 07 Mustang GT! I've had it about 48 hrs and I'm LOVIN' IT!

MyMustang-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Great lookin' Stang, Steve. Hey, doesn't it closely resemble the model you built? Silver stripes to follow?

Yes, it does resemble the model I built. I'm considering custom stripes if I can get my hands on some automotive grade vinyl. I have a few other changes in mind, also... Its my New Money Pit!

P5070041-vi.jpg

Thanks for the kind words concerning my "Elky", James and Billy :D El Caminos are not so common on the streets now. They used to be very popular in the late 70's, since many people imported them from the US. I think the import and tax duties were much lower on trucks, and that's why many Elkys ended up over here. This is my second one, I used to have a '70 SS454-LS5 engine, M22 trans, A/C, Shadow Gray/Black.....and I sold it!!!!! Guess I regretted losing the other one, so I had to get a "new" one. I've had it almost exactly six years now. It was red all over when I bought it, even the Corvette Rallys. This is the way I think it should look, except for a '70 front end..... :wink:

Billy, that Chevy Cobalt your brother has, looks very much like an Opel Astra, save for the grille and some minor details..... :?

Hans, it would not surprise me at all if GM used parts over for it...We don't get Opels over here, so I've never seen one...have a refrence photo of one?

Why don't you try Google....

I have a little tidbit concerning GM borrowing cars etc. I was in the US in '92, and visited car dealers among other things. So I have this catalog/brochure of Pontiac cars for '93, ok. Now get this: The Pontiac Lemans looked just like an Opel Kadett, except for the grille and some other trim pieces. Sneaky, eh? So in effect, a Swede visiting US, could walk ito a GM parts dealer, order all those parts, go home and swap 'em onto his Opel, and presto; a Pontiac Lemans!! Add some American license plates, and people would really scratch their heads.

nice iron pig there aaron. i looked for one of those in nice condition for a couple years before i bought my fj60...i was inspired by a neighbor in montana who had a fj55 with a 327 in it but who wouldnt sell it even after cajolling him for a year about it. so i decided to build my own.

where you at in cali anyway? maybe we could go explore nevada sometime.

I'm in Yosemite.

The poor thing has been neglected the past several years, so I'm hoping to get a chance to give it some attention this year and take it out to play but I need to do some work on it before I'll take it on a long trip.

The column shift just came apart so I'm taking that as a sign its time to swap in a floor shift, maybe upgrade to a 4 speed. It still has the original 6 which runs strong and I intend to keep, bit I need to do some carb work on it.

I'd like to take it over to the East side of Sierras one of these days, there are some great old mining ghost towns and such to explore.

>maybe upgrade to a 4 speed

or a hf55 (i think they are called)...the 5 speed toyota never brought into the usa. thats what i have behind my sbc in my fj60.

speaking of ghost towns, some friends of mine here in sacramento "adopted" a ghost town off of hwy 50 in nevada. very cool spot; ive been to it a couple times with them. its about 50 miles off the highway in the great basin.

Well some folks hate this car, but I love my Saturn "QuadCoupe" that I bought in March of last year.

I've had no trouble with it except for a curious ignition switch problem which was fixed, and it gets 36 MPG on the highway! :P I was never a big fan of 4 doors due to that ugly and too thick center pillar which blocks my peripheral vision because I'm so tall.

The extra suicide doors in the rear are a good compromise of a 4 door without the too short front doors and that vision blocking center pillar right at the side of my face.

P3140174-vi.jpg

P3140175-vi.jpg

P3140177-vi.jpg

P3140179-vi.jpg

Edited by MrObsessive

Hey Bill, that door opening thing looks very much like a Mazda....something, can't remember the number designation right now. You sure it's not a reskinned/rebadged Mazda? I mean with auto makers swapping models between them, who knows what's what these days. Now I'm not that familiar with some of these new makes you have in the US, like Saturn. It's almost like over here now, you find these small "Chevys" like Matiz and Kalos and whatnot.....Daewoo isn't it?? NOT a proper Chevy in my book!

Hey Bill, that door opening thing looks very much like a Mazda....something, can't remember the number designation right now. You sure it's not a reskinned/rebadged Mazda? I mean with auto makers swapping models between them, who knows what's what these days. Now I'm not that familiar with some of these new makes you have in the US, like Saturn. It's almost like over here now, you find these small "Chevys" like Matiz and Kalos and whatnot.....Daewoo isn't it?? NOT a proper Chevy in my book!

You mean the Mazda RX-8............Ha! I wish!! :lol: Mine's a good 'ol original GM product. :wink:

The only thing I believe it shares is its inner structure with the Chevy Cobalt/Pontiac G5. Both those cars are steel bodied whereas mine is fiberglass/plastic/aluminum bodied.

I agree with you about the new "Chevys". My stepmom recently bought an Aveo.............when my Dad had me over his house to see the car, of course I got nosy and wanted to look under the hood. I told my stepmom that she actually had a Daewoo.

She said "No, it's a Chevy!" I said "No, look at your engine bay badge.......it's says made by Daewoo Motors, South Korea!" :shock:

Ironically, my stepmom had just totalled another Daewoo in a bad accident.................only to buy another Daewoo. :P Nice little car...............but just doesn't say "Chevy" to me.