Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:1 pinstriping

Good info on the web. Search on youtube. Also many dvds available to help you. There is also some tools you load the paint into but those are best for straight lines. One shot paint works the best. I bought a kit on ebay a while ago that had about 6 colors of paint and some tape to do your layout and a couple of dagger brushes. Here practice will be your friend. I did 4 cars with my kit but pretty much just a double line. With the kit I had you got some tape in different styles and you placed the tape and then remove the clear carrier and paint between the tape lines. Then you just pull up the tape and you have nice clean paint lines. Maybe considered "cheating" but it works pretty darn good. You will learn to "feel" how to thin the paint on the brush if needed to get a good flow. You will also learn how to load up a dagger brush so you can pull a long line. Using body placement and your fingers for curves will also have to be learned. As I said before practice, practice, practice. Someone else here may have better advise for you. Good luck !

I've worked with the Buegler striper and I was fairly impressed. For me, it worked great for freehand flames. cobraman is right, youtube has a lot of pinstripe videos.

The extra footage with the Ratfink DVD is of a striper's party. They show Von Dutch lettering a hood, awesome.

I was learning to pinstripe from my uncle, an old school sign painter, who did all sorts of custom pinstriping on dump trucks, store fronts, custom rods, and the likes. One thing he taught me was to practice on clean glass. since it is quite possibly the slickest surface you will ever paint on, you will be forced to learn brush control and techniques. NEVER LIFT until you need to re-load, your lines will be much cleaner.

One shot is quite possibly the best paint on the market right now. The best paint for striping EVER, however, is old school lead based paint. It seems to never dry out as long as the lid is sealed and will rejuvenate easily with some mineral spirits. My uncle has a 45 year old can of black striping paint that he promises to leave to me if I learn to stripe.

• 2 weeks later...

Look for the books and DVD by Herb Martinez, one of the master stripers. Read the books and watch the DVD carefully, maybe more than once.

There are all kinds of brushes but Mack makes some of the best. I have a 000 and a 00000 Mack brush and they are excellent! I need more practice, lots more :) There are several steps to striping: learning to mix/thin the paint. One Shot is what I was taught to use and I have several colours. Learn to load the brush, don't be stingy with the paint but don't load it so that it drips. Before painting, run the brush over a smooth glossy paper, like Readers Digest. This helps to smooth the paint in the brush so you get even flow. Learn how to clean the brush. Use proper brush cleaner. A lot of people use varsol or thinner and while they will get the old paint out, they may damage the brush. If you are letting the brush dry, hang it so that the bristles are down as this allows the liquids to drip out and not get dried in the ferrule.

Now the hard part...pulling lines :) Start with a series of straight lines. If you use the Beugler system to make straight lines, you will have trouble making curves. Anyone can draw a straight line, even an untrained monkey :) I have spent some time pulling lines and I need more time.

I have been working with pinstripers for several years and watching them is very interesting. The real good ones have a natural touch and feel for the brush, paint and car. One of my friends does some very expensive restored cars and has striped some recent Pebble Beach Concours winners. Go to my Fotki page, then scroll down to the AUTOFEST 2014, 2013, 2012 albums. In there you will see several photos of people stripng cars. Remember, patience and practice. To become an overnight striper, you will need several years experience :)

http://public.fotki.com/howardcohen/

Pinstripes Garage https://www.facebook.com/groups/112044882202139/

A few I have done. There is a lot of info out there, but the basic's are pelleting the brush and practice, practice, practice!

10703857.jpg

10703892.jpg

10703908.jpg

This is as good as it gets right here, Ed Roth interviewing Von Dutch. It's six parts, and well worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gtb6991Hxc

Yes, I custom paint and pinstripe. I just got into modeling a few years ago because of a stroke and the doctor said modeling would be good for rehab. The answer is flow. Get the paint off the brush and onto the subject. One shot enamel , I use a grumbacher brush and mineral spirits. My mentor Mike Kline said if you go thru one gallon of this stuff then you are ready. Took 1 year and every night for about 2 hours a night. Glass is great to practice on. You stripe then wipe it off and start again. You will need a phone book to wipe your brush on or a old mag. dixie cups work great to mix colors. It is going to take alot of time but it is worth it. I make a great living at it. I have a very nice house and many real 1:1 fun cars to play with. You can make 300 dollars an hour and it is a blast to do. Here is my latest job and the guy loves it! Hope you stick to this as most people give up. that is why we can charge alot for our craft. Good luck and if you need any info send me a PM and I will try to help. post-7810-0-75831900-1418181825_thumb.jp