Model Cars Magazine Forum

My introductory topic: why are you here?

This is one of the discussions I have come back to several times here.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95616

I really like the detail of the car and an 87 Mustang LX T-top hatchback was the only new car I ever bought, so I'm a bit biased.

I always wanted to put a Cobra SOHC motor in my old car. Now it would be a Coyote. I keep returning to this thread because it inspires me, I want to build my old car but with that Coyote motor in it. Every detail down to the strut mounts my dad and I fabricated together and the subwoofer box I built into the quarter panel.

So do you fellas have stories for your builds? Every picture tells a story, so how much of a build is concept and how much is inspiration as you go along?

I want to build my dad's old pickup with the smashed in side where the lightning blew a tree limb into it. I want to build the '73 Electra I lost my virginity in as I had it hurling one day through someone's fence. Thanks to G scale railroading it's relatively painless even to model myself and my ex, although getting the panicked look on both our faces just right might be a challenge for an amateur as myself. I want to build the '76 Civic my dad and I put the Japanese imported EH motor in when the old 40hp motor threw a rod on i-94. The one we painted blue in the garage right over the old white paintjob.

So, is this sort of like the modeler equivalent of buck fever? When you return to the hobby, this is just one of the 12 steps?

Seriously, most of the cars I build these days are things I'd like to build in 1:1 if I had unlimited time and money, or just wild-hare (hair?) "what if?" concepts.

This, but I've built my share of vehicles I remember from the past, or have at least incorporated some of those memories into a project.

I also have several cars that I've owned in project form. Like the 84 Mustang GT350 T-top hatch that was stripped of it's "whimpy" (as the previous owner called it) 2.3 Turbo and a 351 marine engine and a Tremec T5 was put in it's place, then a worse than Maaco white with olive green 2 tone was sprayed over an un-prepped oxidized original paint job. The car was as horriffic as they come, but man, that car was FAST!

Or the 96 Ford Ranger extended cab that I bought when I came home from Korea. It was the newest car I ever owned, LOVED that truck. The 68 Ford Ranger that I bought just after I got married, which is a future project as soon as Mobeus debuts right around my birthday next year (or so they say). The 240SX that got me into imports, which I have now had for about 14 years now and have done some very extensive modifications to. I would LOVE to do a model of my first car, a 1980 VW Caddy/Rabbit Pickup, but just getting my hands on a decent MKI golf kit seems a daunting task without adding in the modifications to make it a pickup.

The reason I build is because I can't build real ones all the time, plus if I did build real ones I'd get too attatched and wouldn't ever let them go to make room for new ones. Not only that but I couldn't ever do to real cars what I do with models.

The reason I build the subjects that I build is the same as why I only collect certain hotwheels, I do what I like. plain and simple. I like custom, realistic cars. Muscle cars, hot rods, street rods, sport compacts, VIP, 4x4, big rigs, but the only race cars are ones that I think are cool like IMSA, GT, GT-R, some Le Mons cars, or anything that I think is cool that might also be a streetable car.

as for the "track rat" mustang, I too keep coming back to that thread for inspiration. I thought it was a well done build and good for getting ideas of what to do and how to do it.

Like many, I built back in the late 50s and early 60s. "Grew up" and moved on. Then I bought a model of the ship I served on in the US Navy. One thing led to another and I've got 70+ cars in my stash. I'm really enjoying building again and the people on this forum as well.

Edited by Miatatom

• 2 weeks later...

I work hard and when the kids go to bed I like to chill out,stick the TV on what I want to watch and do some stuff on my models. Its purely relax time for me but I love reading the dedication and skill of the professional model makers on here.gives me something to imagine with mine. Unfortunately that's about it, imagination :)

Like many, I built back in the late 50s and early 60s. "Grew up" and moved on. Then I bought a model of the ship I served on in the US Navy. One thing led to another and I've got 70+ cars in my stash. I'm really enjoying building again and the people on this forum as well.

Hi Tom, what ship was it?

I must have been loaded when I joined this place.

I'm still here.

Maybe not much has changed since then. lol.

I like it though, that lots of guys here are my age, and we all share lots of things from former years. Plus we're still building models.

Michael

Hi Tom, what ship was it?

Michael

It was the USS Norfolk, DL-1 (destroyer leader)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Norfolk_%28DL-1%29

The kit was a very limited production resin kit from Poland. I bought the upgraded gun mounts and anti-submarine rocket (ASROC) that was on the ship while I was aboard to convert it. It's 1/700th scale and I'm waiting until I'm more comfortable with my skills again before I start it. It wasn't cheap and I doubt I'd find another one.

http://www.nikomodel.pl/index.php/en/resin-kits/ships-en/scale-1-700-en/item/uss-norfolk-dl-1-1953

I'm here because I love to build car kits, and this board is THE place to do share the hobby! The guys (and gals?) here are friendly, helpful, encouraging and bloody talented! I love getting help and feedback on my stuff.

I also am here because I love to build cars that are a bit odd. I also build the cars I grew up with, but those were 80's losers. I like to build those so people don't forget how sad cars got. I guess you could say I'm rooting for the automotive underdog!

It's always great to come around here, get some news, share some stories, and I love it when people tell the stories of their own cars that are like the kits I've built.

This community makes car building one of the most rewarding experiences going!

I see my response was lost!

I build because it's my art, my sanity and the center of my many friendships. I love when the image I have in my head slowly appears in 3D plastic on the bench in front of me. It's exciting and fulfilling. And to share that work with the small band of like minded crazies really brings it home!