Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 961 Daytona

IMSANUT

Here is a project that has been an on and off kind of thing for a while.

The real car raced three times, twice at Le Mans and once at Daytona where it was entered in the GTX category with full GTP points. The Daytona version is mu choice as a build.

Tamiya released the first Le Mans version as a snap kit, and as part of their Tamtech 1/34th RC series. I started the build with the Tamtech body, a bunch of Porsche parts, and the Tamiya 959 kit as a basis. This was during my "has to be full detailed" phase, so off came the rear body work, and off came the front body work. I eventually got the 961 kit for the interior basics as well as the wheels and tires. I've unearthed a fair number of pictures of the real car with and with out body work.

I am planning on returning to this over the winter this year.

Here is an exploded view of where it exists currently.....

picsformodelcars016_zpsee6d92fc.jpg

I've been at this one for a while. the stopping pint for a while was the removal of the tinted windows. Tamiya molded them at the same time as the body shell. I'd been successful in removing them from the Tamtech Probe and BMW GTP bodies, but this 961 proved to be not so easy. I finally got the kit which has clear windows but I had been on the fence about hacking it up. It'll get done.

Yes, it was a particularly awesome vehicle, but somewhat stasr crossed. Porsche had intended it to be a customer car, but it was nearly as expensive as the 962. In the three races the lone one built, it showed well till it burned to the ground at it;s second race at Le Mans.

• 6 months later...