Model Cars Magazine Forum

'06 Mustang GT 3½ day build

MonoPed

Thought I'd share this with the group, I built this over a 3½ day period just before Christmas to give as a gift. Because of the truncated time table, It is box stock sans a new windshield to replace the badly warped kit piece. The interior is Krylon Pewter Grey and Duplicolor Hotrod Grey primer, trimmed with Tamiya TS-29 semi gloss black and TS-30 silver leaf. The exterior is tamiya TS-16 yellow, right over bare plastic and rubbed with Novus #2. All in all, it's a decent kit, I have another in the pile for myself, once I find the parts I need to finish it off.

Brian

mustang-1.jpg

mustang-2.jpg

mustang-3.jpg

mustang-4.jpg

mustang-5.jpg

mustang-6.jpg

mustang-7.jpg

mustang-8.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one who can't resist an occasional speed-build. Nice work! It's a fun kit. My last 3 1/2 day build was also the '06 Mustang. I couldn't resist using Cobra Colors Tungsten Gray, great color for the 'Stang. OOB except for wheels/tires/brakes. I wanna build one suitable for track use next.

DSCN6905-vi.jpg

Thanks, I mount the brakes to the wheels and do a lot of test-fitting with the model set at the preferred ride height. I generally cut away stub axles and finally glue the wheel/brake unit to the suspension, sometimes it requires some grinding, sometimes some shims. Sometimes it's clean, sometimes it's a hack job :lol: This approach saves me a lot of hassle; I assume from the start that the stock ride height of nearly any given model is going to be unacceptable with whatever custom or stock rims I am going to use (only Tamiya and a few of the newer Fujimi Ferraris and the Gallardo have the suspension setup right). I'd be more careful if I were building for a contest, but generally I build for NNL's and am not worried if people can see the chassis or not :lol:

I also had to grind some of the wheelhousing material away from the Mustang, especially in back.

• 11 years later...