Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 360 Spyder in blue pearl!

jaymcminn

This is a box-stock buildup of the Tamiya Ferrari 360 Spyder. This is, quite simply, the most amazing kit I have ever built. The fit, the mold quality of the parts, everything is simply amazing. It's rare to be able to build a kit out of the box that so closely approximates the look of the real car. The color scheme is an unusual but factory scheme... California Blue (actually Tamiya TS58 Pearl Light Blue over grey primer, but the color's very close) over a two-tone interior in cream and dark blue with a dark blue top. Yellow calipers compliment the yellow Scuderia shields nicely. I went back and forth between leaving the wheels in satin chrome or painting them in gunmetal- I think I went the right way. I have an extra set of wheels for this car that I might paint in gunmetal so I can swap them out.

My only criticism of the kit would be the metal transfers... they look fantastic, but it seems almost impossible to get them to stick properly to the surface- whether it's gloss or flat, they just don't like to lay down. I finally wound up brushing a coat of thinned Micro Krystal Klear over all of them to help secure them.

Overall, I can't recommend this one enough- it's a challenge for the experienced modeller due to the high parts count and fiddly detail painting as well as the transfers, but it looks absolutely amazing on the shelf. Anyway, on to the pics!

here's the car that was the inspiration for this build...

P008Web.jpg

And here's my interpretation...

P1020117.jpg

P1020123.jpg

P1020095.jpg

The engine bay detail is fantastic. I used suede texture paint as a basecoat for the intake plenum and airboxes. This is my favorite trick for reproducing sand-cast and wrinkle-coated finishes.

P1020113.jpg

The resonator was airbrushed in a mix of Tamiya clears over the satin-plated part to reproduce the copper/brown heat discoloration that I noticed from online pics.

P1020114.jpg

Not the best interior shot, but you get the idea...

Thanks for looking... as always, any questions/comments are welcome!

P1020125.jpg

Thanks, guys. I enjoyed this kit so much I'm definitely going to be doing the coupe at some point in the future- I'm even thinking of bashing this kit with the Fujimi curbside F430 to create a proper full-detail 430 Challenge. I love doing Ferraris in some of the more unusual color combinations available when they were produced. The next project, however, will be something a little less subtle...

7302497276_9c97917992_z.jpg

Edited by jaymcminn