Model Cars Magazine Forum

kits you just cant bring yourself to build.

I have a good collection of kits and my intentions are to build all of them; however, there's one I bought over 20 years ago (Revell Germany T600 Kenworth) even went to the extra effort and bought aftermarket accessories (Auselowe) to make it look Australian!

I've opened the box up countless times, looked at the kit and just put it back in the cupboard..... :blink::lol: !!

My intent in buying any model is always to build it. The trouble is I've got so many kits I know I'm never get around building then all.

There is only one kit in my collection I will for sure never build. And that is a JoHan Chrysler Turbine Car kit. I have a mint one sitting in its original box. Everything is still on the trees and pack in that unique set up JoHan used on some kits. Like I say it's mint, but for some reason when I opened it up, and it was still factory sealed, I found it to be missing the glass parts!? I've built the Turbine several times in the past. And I own an original promo. Plus with that unique so called "frame-pak" parts layout. I want to leave this kit alone. I just wish I had the glass for it, still on there original trees to complete the kit.

Scott

I have so many interests in life that I have an odd philosophy about kits and model building.

I have sworn myself to only buy one kit at a time, and not buy any more until I've completed the current build. So far, with the exception of a Revell kit that I found at a thrift shop, I am good to my word. At the same time, I am not cranking out builds like the average builder on this forum.

It is cool to see the mountains of collections that many people have collected...I've just decided to not collect kits.

Some of us have intentions of building our kits., Sometimes if you don't buy a kit or two when you have the chance, you never know how much it will cost later. None of us like the postage and ebay prices on out of production kits..

Technically were all collectors to a point....rather we build them and put them in a display case or have them on a shelf in the box built or un-built. We often get a few we want to build and they can wait for their turn too. My biggest thing is wanting to build/collect cars/trucks the family owned...its just been a dream of mine and was one my dad had too.

I have like 60 kits, and I'm not going to build all of them immediately, and my problem is that I keep accumulating more. I'm only 28, but I took about a 10 year break from the hobby. Most I bought when I was a teen/late teen, some are pretty rare as far as modern kits go, but my biggest deal is, I only have 1, maybe two if im lucky of certain kits, and I catch myself thinking of multiple iterations of how I want to build this ONE kit.. then I tell myself I need more than one kit. So usually I dont build a kit until I 100% decide what I'm going to do w/ it, and build another kit instead. Or, I get a new kit, and it pushes the kits that I'm less interested in building to the back of the line. I'm bad about that. I organize them in my closet where I keep them by order of interest. Chevys at the back lol

I have like 60 kits, and I'm not going to build all of them immediately, and my problem is that I keep accumulating more. I'm only 28, but I took about a 10 year break from the hobby. Most I bought when I was a teen/late teen, some are pretty rare as far as modern kits go, but my biggest deal is, I only have 1, maybe two if im lucky of certain kits, and I catch myself thinking of multiple iterations of how I want to build this ONE kit.. then I tell myself I need more than one kit. So usually I dont build a kit until I 100% decide what I'm going to do w/ it, and build another kit instead. Or, I get a new kit, and it pushes the kits that I'm less interested in building to the back of the line. I'm bad about that. I organize them in my closet where I keep them by order of interest. Chevys at the back lol

This is how it starts! I'm twice your age and never took the ten year break. I always have an idea or two on how I'm going build a kit. I just get distracted by other kits. I have a lot of built kits. I maybe have slightly more unbuilt kits. I'm sure all together I now have over 500 or 600 kits! Probably close to 100 or more promos. And I can not even guess how many Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, etc. I own. So your young. You have plenty of time to catch up.

Scott

My intent in buying any model is always to build it. The trouble is I've got so many kits I know I'm never get around building then all.

There is only one kit in my collection I will for sure never build. And that is a JoHan Chrysler Turbine Car kit. I have a mint one sitting in its original box. Everything is still on the trees and pack in that unique set up JoHan used on some kits. Like I say it's mint, but for some reason when I opened it up, and it was still factory sealed, I found it to be missing the glass parts!? I've built the Turbine several times in the past. And I own an original promo. Plus with that unique so called "frame-pak" parts layout. I want to leave this kit alone. I just wish I had the glass for it, still on there original trees to complete the kit.

Scott

I got one like that too. Everything's there but the glass. I figure I can make the windshields and I'll just cast some clear headlight lenses. I intend on building mine. :)

I have 3 each of MPC 73,74 Caprice kits that I want to build but I just can't seem to do it.

I just decided to leave them unbuilt for the moment and occasionally take them down off the shelve and open the boxes and smell the vintage plastic that's still sealed in the bags.

I love that smell ! ! :wub: :wub:

I am definitely a builder not a collector. That being said, I have a MIB pontiac Grand Prix that I haven't even dared open. Part of my reasoning is that I have so many started and I don't want to ruin the potential value of this kit before I am absolutely ready to build it. Everything else on my shelves has been opened started and possibly even finished!

I am definitely a builder not a collector. That being said, I have a MIB pontiac Grand Prix that I haven't even dared open. Part of my reasoning is that I have so many started and I don't want to ruin the potential value of this kit before I am absolutely ready to build it. Everything else on my shelves has been opened started and possibly even finished!

I have a bunch of cars where I have a MIB kit, but I also have a restorable old built kit or two. I'd always build a model from the old built up first, as I'd rather build value from something needing work than dive into the pristine new plastic. Plus, I'd enjoy that build and results more since it's a lot like restoring an old 1:1.

We're all de facto kit collectors until they're built.

I do have some kits that I MAY never build-a Gunze Sangyo Ferrari 250 GTO(all those multi media parts still give me the shivers),a Revell 1/16 scale Model T coupe from the 50s(I've never seen another one),and an MPC '71 Charger with the pre painted(fogged) body and those stupid "Wild Ones" parts.

That Charger kit poses a dilemma for me.I've tried to sell it at shows with no success. I could build it but I'd have to paint because it's SO ugly with that black fogged tan body and orange interior(!).But if I paint it that would hide any uniqueness of the kit.I think my best answer would be to find it's companion kit with the fogged orange body and tan interior and kitbash the two kits.

This is how it starts! I'm twice your age and never took the ten year break. I always have an idea or two on how I'm going build a kit. I just get distracted by other kits. I have a lot of built kits. I maybe have slightly more unbuilt kits. I'm sure all together I now have over 500 or 600 kits! Probably close to 100 or more promos. And I can not even guess how many Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, etc. I own. So your young. You have plenty of time to catch up.

Scott

I probably have about 60-70 built on the shelf, and some packed away.

I'm also really bad about hotwheels/matchbox/johnny lightning stuff too... I have bags and bags of hotwheels still in the package, packed away in the closet.

Not to mention the 1:1 hobby... I've got a '94 Mustang, '88 Mustang, '77 Mustang II, 93 Lincoln Mark VIII, and my daily driver '04 Ranger Fx4 level II... used to have 2 more cars... lol