Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police, Fire, Rescue CBP

Janne Herajärvi

ah nice pics. I ordered a AMT 70's Ford off UK ebay, and a low price for what they normally sell for on UK one, £20. I have a B/W HH boxing, which i was doing as a undercover car, but its misplaced in my work room somewhere lol. Must find it!

Im using oneof the 5 Lindberg Chargers i got as a test kit for items im making like roof lining mounted radar and camera, flashing light items, other interior bits like different centre consoles etc

Some nice cop car builds on here by you guys.

One thing i have noticed about every cop car kit i have bought, is none came with the handle for the guy inside to adjust the spot light on the outside. I have only really seen a couple of different handles but both are pretty similar, i fancy making those in resin from a master i plan on doing soon. Why cop kits never had them i dont know

One thing i have noticed about every cop car kit i have bought, is none came with the handle for the guy inside to adjust the spot light on the outside. I have only really seen a couple of different handles but both are pretty similar, i fancy making those in resin from a master i plan on doing soon. Why cop kits never had them i dont know

True that. But that's not all. Nearly every emergency vehicle kit produced has also omitted an essential piece of equipment - the speaker for the two-way radio.

Only a few kits ever took a shot at it . . . the AMT/Hobby Heaven '70 Ford Police Interceptor (and the series it was originally a part of ~ their '70 Chevy Fire Chief Car and the two Chevy vans; Fire Rescue and Police Paddy Wagon) and the JoHan '68 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit kit (it's 'police' parts rolled over to the JoHan '60 Plymouth police-version station wagon).

There were problems with both AMT's and JoHan's only efforts. AMT's kits included a period-correct Motorola radio control head but not the companion Motorola speaker. Instead, it had a rectangular speaker of sorts that did not resemble any actual 1:1 police equipment item.

The JoHan effort consisted of round speaker grilles molded into the sides of the center console in the kit. If you did not use the console, you had no speaker representation at all. But, the console was a uniquely designed item that probably only a couple of agencies ever used.

There's long been a need for spotlight handles and radio speakers. Another void is accurate Federal 14 beacons and decent Twinsonic light bars, both major staples of the 70's to 80's era. And don't even get me started on inaccurate radio antennae.

I have a couple of the Johan Fury car, built one years ago when i first started making models. At the time i didnt know LAPD didnt use them, so the decals were ficticous. Picked up a lot of info since that mistake lol, still much more to learn!

Im sat here 'supposed' to be tidying up my models room, but i keep pulling a kit from the shelving and taking a look, i did it just now with the Lindberg Cop Dodge Caravan, i have never found a pic of it used as a Cop vehicle, i guess somewhere it might have been but i wonder why Lindberg released it, i guess put a few cop items in with a regular kit and people will buy it. I have plans for the kit, to be used as a normal civilian car.

I did get the other week, at a very low price for it, and very rarely seen over here the Johan Fire Rescue Ambulance, i had never actually seen one until this came

Can anyone help me with what places actually did use the Ford 70 Custom, so i can build my AMT (i know its a Galxie). Again looking on google, i find a nice SFPD, but its false and i cant actually find a real era vehicle. Even unmarked cop cars would be cool.

I do like the decals that came in the box (i have a HH b/w boxing, thats done as a umarked car from some years ago). I know CHP is ficticious. The others i dont know, i didnt get any info or pics where to put the decals. The Chicago looks like though.

Maryland State Police (Olive Drab and Black)

New York State Police (White? and Dark Blue)

Virginia State Police (Dark Blue over Silver)

Illinois State Police (all white)

North Carolina Highway Patrol (Silver roof, body Black over Silver)

South Carolina Highway Patrol (All Silver, might have two blue stripes down the side of the body)

Chicago PD Traffic Division (Blue/White)

NYPD Motorcycle Precinct (Black Green White)

Missouri State Highway Patrol (most likely champagne gold)

G

Edited by Agent G

Maryland State Police (Olive Drab and Black)

New York State Police (White? and Dark Blue)

Virginia State Police (Dark Blue over Silver)

Illinois State Police (all white)

North Carolina Highway Patrol (Silver roof, body Black over Silver)

South Carolina Highway Patrol (All Silver, might have two blue stripes down the side of the body)

Chicago PD Traffic Division (Blue/White)

NYPD Motorcycle Precinct (Black Green White)

Missouri State Highway Patrol (most likely champagne gold)

G

thats great, gives me good info to start looking now. much app

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder how David Gusky's Model TT ambulance is coming along. B)

Hi Danno,

I have struggled with getting all of the modifications of the trucks side panels smooth. As there has been a great deal of cutting and piecing in as well as addition of moldings, it is a challenge. I will not give up! Hope to share some progress some!

David

Hi Danno,

I have struggled with getting all of the modifications of the trucks side panels smooth. As there has been a great deal of cutting and piecing in as well as addition of moldings, it is a challenge. I will not give up! Hope to share some progress some!

David

Hi, David!

Glad to hear it's still percolating. Looking forward to seeing it.

Im having trouble with photbucket, just stuck up a load of cop Crown Vics with Flikr, im only just getting used to that. Im only just getting used to doing vehicles, its totally different to military planes, tanks etc.

not sure how to get a image link, cos when i try it says format or something not allowed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124764964@N06/sets/72157645448794009/

Edited by English Jules

hi all I am looking for a LED flashing lighting kit for the Revell 1:25 peterbilt 359 wrecker (the pic is on my profile) I would like to see everything flash and the head also flash. with the side markers and the strobe light on top of the to flash, and maybe adding a few spot lights. even under the doors to flicker yellow. I know it will be a lot to do but I am up to the challenge. thanks for the help and information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone help me with what places actually did use the Ford 70 Custom, so i can build my AMT (i know its a Galxie). Again looking on google, i find a nice SFPD, but its false and i cant actually find a real era vehicle. Even unmarked cop cars would be cool.

I do like the decals that came in the box (i have a HH b/w boxing, thats done as a umarked car from some years ago). I know CHP is ficticious. The others i dont know, i didnt get any info or pics where to put the decals. The Chicago looks like though.

The closest I've been able to find actual photographic proof is a Minnesota State Patrol car that was actually a 69 Ford Ford custom 500. Go to Maroon cruisers.com com for photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice car so far.I love building police cars.I have a medium size collection of cars in different scales.Bill Bozo provided the decals for a local Suffolk county,NY car that I built recently.The guy has the best police and emergency decals,on the market.