Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shortened 1959 Chevy Sport Roadster.

E St. Kruiser50

Hi all :)

I started this fun build a coupla month's ago and was interupted by the need for a hernia operation called "Project Stupidity" :) , because I shouldn't have been doin' what I did to cause this :) .

Anyhow, I love challanging, complicated projects, which this has turned out to be, and it's been fun.

Designing everything to fit and make it look factory was the goal, and I'm happy so far with the progress.

The shell of the car is shortened, and the doors are lengthened, and have a bit of the Corvette curve at the rear bottom, but otherwise pretty stock '59 chev, with everything else being '98 'Vette roadster.

The body is finished with two coat's of two stage urethane primer, and will receive two coats of single stage white and then two coats of single stage bright scarlet red, followed by several coats of two stage clear coat.

The hood will be hinged next, but because it will open forward, Corvette style, I had to finish the inner front fender wells by lengthening them, as you'll see in the pics, so that the hinges will pivot into them properly and clear everything.

I also had to match the chassis with the interior tub with some mods, so everything matched properly to the body.

The engine/driveline will be pretty stock Corvette, dressed up a bit with some carbon fiber and stock type decal under hood badging and other detailing.

So far so good.

Any comments appreciated.

2008_1024Photobucket10011.jpg

2008_1024Photobucket10025.jpg

2008_1024Photobucket10026.jpg

2008_1024Photobucket10027.jpg

2008_1024Photobucket10017.jpg

2008_1024Photobucket10018.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

I really like this one,Dave.....looking forward to seeing it finished. Have you decided on wheels/tires yet ?....Steve Zimmerman aka the'Z'man....

Hi Steve :)

Ya know, I haven't a clue yet what I'm going to use for wheels/tires. Maybe I'll start with lowering it and trying some stock hubcaps and whitewalls, then I'll try rallies and then maybe some 24 inchers - love 24 inchers, but I have to expand my horizones :P

Tried everything and love the factory '59 hubcaps with the two-bar knock-offs and the whitewalls and lowered, and, and, and B):lol:

Very factory retro - I like it and that's weird for me, 'cause nearly everything I build has the standard 24 inchers.

Good to hear from you - Dave

Very cool project. The shortened body and lengthened doors give it a really sporty look, kinda like an early Thunderbird. To my eye, the modern windshield looks a little akward but it's hard to tell without the hood on. Have you considered chopping down the height of the windshield? It seems like a 1/4" would make the whole car look sleeker, especially if you try and imagine a top on it. It would also pull the ends of the windshield posts away from the passengers and (if it were a real car) ease entry and exit.

I also think some chrome C5 ZO6 wheels would look cool. If your gonna do the steel wheel and stock caps consider some wider wheels and wide, low profile Z-rated tires for a nice retro look. It would be a shame to put all that great handling modern suspension under the car then have it handle like garbage because of some tall, narrow, bias-ply tires. (If it were a real car.)

:blink: Dave, glad ta see ya back at it! I missed ya. One of the fellas built the original design of your take-off, the 789 I believe it was. His came out pretty close to the original. He musta thought it wouldn't be liked, caz he was kinda negative in his remarks. But it looked ok to me. BUT... I still like your take on it better. Too each his own I guess. Let's finish that rascal up kiddo, I been waitin ta see it!!! :lol:

:lol: Dave, glad ta see ya back at it! I missed ya. One of the fellas built the original design of your take-off, the 789 I believe it was. His came out pretty close to the original. He musta thought it wouldn't be liked, caz he was kinda negative in his remarks. But it looked ok to me. BUT... I still like your take on it better. Too each his own I guess. Let's finish that rascal up kiddo, I been waitin ta see it!!! :lol:

Thanks every one. You too George ;) .

Gotta little bit done this morning on the undercarriage. Added some of the '59 chassis to the rear and sides of the 'Vette chassis. Snugs everthing up a bit and make the undercarriage self locating in the body shell.

Gonna use the stock 4 outlet exhaust, so I'll have to lengthen all 4 of them once the chassis is done.

The chassis'll be sprayed flat black, with most everything else like suspension and drive line aluminum.

Very fun stuff.

Just had lunch, so I think it's nap thirty.

Nite all :blink:

2008_1025Photobucket10028.jpg

2008_1025Photobucket10029.jpg

WOW !!! EVERYTHING FITS so far :( . This has been such a complicated conversion, making nearly 100 parts come together with some major massaging and making it look factory stock.

It never ceases to amaze how " THE CREATOR" helps us builders and creators to get it right :( .

Probably at least two weeks of work left to go, but having a blast with this one :unsure: .

Going to do the hood hinge next, now that the major chassis mods are mostly complete.

Hinges are always a challange.

2008_1027Photobucket10031.jpg

2008_1027Photobucket10032.jpg

Well, got the hinge to work better than I had planned :D:lol: . Funny how that work's when you have help from above.

The hood has a hinge point at the front of the hood - the long bar, and then the second hinge point is under the fenders where the hinge disappears.

The hood is now poseable in most any position I place it, and can be removed easily. And it clears everything under the hood.

So some minor filling and sanding, and a little primer and I'll be ready to paint - I THINK :lol::lol:

2008_1028Photobucket10033.jpg

2008_1028Photobucket10034.jpg

2008_1028Photobucket10036.jpg

2008_1028Photobucket10035.jpg

hi !

whow - your first pics looking very great.

i think it´s very difficult to built this chassis with the resin body.

i looking for the following pics.

good luck and greets

jürgen

Hi there :lol:

Thank you.

Nice to hear from you juergen.

Actually, the body comes from Revell Monogram and I've shortened it, and added Corvette stuff. You're right though, it would be hard to do this if it was resin.

2008_0803Photobucket10021.jpg

2008_0805Photobucket10025.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10018.jpg

That is looking really cool!! All of the Vettes throughout the years have so many styling cues that can be used on many other cars and trucks.

Here's the link to '57 Chevy pickup that I did last year in a Vette theme:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=z06+vette

Here's a couple of pics...

57ChevyPickup11-vi.jpg

57ChevyPickup12-vi.jpg

Keep up the GREAT work and thanks for sharing,

That is looking really cool!! All of the Vettes throughout the years have so many styling cues that can be used on many other cars and trucks.

57ChevyPickup11-vi.jpg

57ChevyPickup12-vi.jpg

darn it why didnt i see this truck about 2 weeks ago :lol:

i would have made on myself instead of making an ice cream truck(uh oh i said to much its not going to be a secret anymore :lol: )

57ChevyPickup11-vi.jpg

57ChevyPickup12-vi.jpg

WOW!! YOU BUILD REALLY NICE STUFF :lol:

I CHECKED OUT YOUR SITE ON THIS AND IT'S JUST STUNNING.

The red is about the same as I'll be using on the '59.

Thanks for sharing it Raul.

Again, it's just beautiful.

The treehugger :lol:

darn it why didnt i see this truck about 2 weeks ago :lol:

i would have made on myself instead of making an ice cream truck(uh oh i said to much its not going to be a secret anymore :lol: )

Hey evilone :lol:

You can't make an ice creme truck, because I'm working on one. Oops, now mine's not a secret either :D:lol:

Maybe I'll just copy your's :P:P;)

WOW!! YOU BUILD REALLY NICE STUFF :lol:

I CHECKED OUT YOUR SITE ON THIS AND IT'S JUST STUNNING.

The red is about the same as I'll be using on the '59.

Thanks for sharing it Raul.

Again, it's just beautiful.

The treehugger :lol:

Dave,

I'm glad that you liked it! I'm always a bit skeptical about adding pictures of my stuff to other people’s posts. Sometimes the post gets hijacked and moves off in some other direction when you do that…

It's funny seeing the difference in approaches you and I took in integrating the Vette chassis...I used the chassis from two Z06 Vettes to get mine stretched to meet the wheelbase length of the original truck and you shortened the body on yours. I think that for the roadster look you're going for, shortening the body was absolutely the right approach. It looks awesome!!

Mine was painted with Testors 2 part spray can lacquer (Italian Red and clear).

What color interior are you going to use? I really like the Testors fabric tan with this shade of red, but I used gray to match the '50 Chevy pickup that I had done in a ZR-1 theme several years earlier.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Hey evilone :lol:

You can't make an ice creme truck, because I'm working on one. Oops, now mine's not a secret either :lol::lol:

Maybe I'll just copy your's :lol::P;)

it my idea man you have to pay me to use it

well thats what the trademark and the R with the circl thingee around it says :D:P

im going to do a workbench topic and there will be some pics of it in there ;)

Dave,

What color interior are you going to use? I really like the Testors fabric tan with this shade of red, but I used gray to match the '50 Chevy pickup that I had done in a ZR-1 theme several years earlier.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Hi 'Raul :D

Funny you mentioned the tan color, because for the stock Vette' interior, I'll most likely be using a Testor's color called "wood" and be mixing it with another one of there browns that's darker, to give it a slightly richer tone.

I'll then use black for highlights and contrast, and to also match the black windshield frame and cowl that is factory, and looks so good with red. I'll also do a little foil detailing, as this is a roadster, so the interior will be a focal point of interest, and I want it to really "pop".

Thanks again for sharing your truck pics - Dave

Hi 'Raul ;)

Funny you mentioned the tan color, because for the stock Vette' interior, I'll most likely be using a Testor's color called "wood" and be mixing it with another one of there browns that's darker, to give it a slightly richer tone.

I'll then use black for highlights and contrast, and to also match the black windshield and cowl that is factory, and looks so good with red. I'll also do a little foil detailing, as this is a roadster, so the interior will be a focal point of interest, and I want it to really "pop".

Thanks again for sharing your truck pics - Dave

Sounds GREAT!!

On my '58 Impala that I painted Testors lacquer Mica Red (which is a beautiful red metallic color), I used the Testors Fabric Tan on the interior, but then I added darker tones to it with pastel weathering powders to give it some depth.

Interior pics:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...=10216&st=0

Finished model:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10537

I can't wait to see this one finished!!

Later,

THDave

I have a confession to make. When I saw the title to your thread, I thought to myself, man is this going to be one ugly dog.

But just one look, and as a chopper, channeler, sectioner, shortener, lengthener, molder, french headlightser, and any other -----er when it comes to body work for over 40 years. (My first sectioned and molded car was a '40 Ford Coupe in '61), I have to say the following......

THAT IS ONE BOSS LOOKING CAR, ONE SO GOOD THAT I MIGHT DO ONE MYSELF. IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE.

WHEN YOU ARE DONE, AND I HAVE SEEN YOUR WORK, THIS WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAN THE 59 CHEV TURBINE AEROCAR THAT WAS ON A COVER OF ANOTHER MAG YEARS AND YEARS AGO. I LIKE IT EVEN MORE THAN BOYD'S GREEN CONVERTIBLE.

WAY TO GO.

KEN "FLORIDABOY" WILLAMAN

Sounds GREAT!!

On my '58 Impala that I painted Testors lacquer Mica Red (which is a beautiful red metallic color), I used the Testors Fabric Tan on the interior, but then I added darker tones to it with pastel weathering powders to give it some depth.

Interior pics:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...=10216&st=0

Finished model:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10537

I can't wait to see this one finished!!

Later,

WOW!! :(

I checked out your sites and another beautiful build. I really like the interior. What are pastel weathering powders? Never heard of that. Would like to experiment.

I think everything is done and ready for paint, so maybe I'll lay it down tomorrow :D.

I sure do love to paint, and urethanes are almost goof proof - ALMOST ;):P

THDave

I have a confession to make. When I saw the title to your thread, I thought to myself, man is this going to be one ugly dog.

But just one look, and as a chopper, channeler, sectioner, shortener, lengthener, molder, french headlightser, and any other -----er when it comes to body work for over 40 years. (My first sectioned and molded car was a '40 Ford Coupe in '61), I have to say the following......

THAT IS ONE BOSS LOOKING CAR, ONE SO GOOD THAT I MIGHT DO ONE MYSELF. IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE.

WHEN YOU ARE DONE, AND I HAVE SEEN YOUR WORK, THIS WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAN THE 59 CHEV TURBINE AEROCAR THAT WAS ON A COVER OF ANOTHER MAG YEARS AND YEARS AGO. I LIKE IT EVEN MORE THAN BOYD'S GREEN CONVERTIBLE.

WAY TO GO.

KEN "FLORIDABOY" WILLAMAN

Hi ken - Thanks :(

I think tomorrow may be the day I paint this project. Bright scarlet red, with a white base coat underneath to "Dazzle Ya'll" :P;) LOL.

I love paintin' cars, but puttin' on the chrome and details is the best. All very exciting stuff for an "addict" :D - LOL

Probly near two weeks to finish.

As Ajulia says - "Keep on wit da keepn on" :P

Dave,

The stuff I use is made by Bragdon Enterprises. They're special powders made for weathering models. I get it from the local train store.

Here's the link: http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm

wethsyse.jpg

Later,

WOW :P

This is so cool. Guess what I'll be doin tomorrow?

Very much appreciated my friend :) .

Hope I can return the favor some day.

All the best - Dave :D

WOW :P

This is so cool. Guess what I'll be doin tomorrow?

Very much appreciated my friend :) .

Hope I can return the favor some day.

All the best - Dave :D

Glad to help...

You'll really like how this stuff works with flat paint finishes. With the right combination of brushes, you can get really great shades and fades in the finish.

Later,