Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future Rat

Raul_Perez

The theme for the upcoming NNL West in March is "Cats and Rats".

As a former bodyman, I've often wondered what happens to a lot of these cool custom cars after they leave the shop...are they well cared for and preserved for eternity or beaten into submission and handed down, then eventually left to rot in some old barn...you know the story.

With that, I started wondering what a ratrod in the future would look like...no, not a rat-rodded "Back to the Future" car, just a ratrod 50 years from now.

What will it look like? What kind of fuel will it run on?

To start this build, I sifted through some of my 1:12th formula 1 scale engine parts. I wanted a heavy/industrial look for the engine. I found an old 1:12th scale oil tank that looked perfect for the block. To it I glued some Vette heads, an air filter box from an '00 Camaro, some parts from a Back to the Future II Delorean kit, (why not?), a few pieces of aluminum tubing, wires and some various scratch built goodies.

Here are a couple of pics of the engine before I weather it:

DSC05910-vi.jpg

DSC05912-vi.jpg

DSC05917-vi.jpg

DSC05915-vi.jpg

Here's what it's going into, a '32 Sedan body that's been channeled over a frame that's been stretched to make room for the multi-fuel burning future engine. If you look closely, you can see the beginnings of the fuel tank in the back seat.

DSC05919-vi.jpg

The wheels are from a Prowler. The chrome has been stripped. They still need to be painted and weathered. Where else will those wheels end up in the future??

DSC05922-vi.jpg

Anyway, this has been a fun build so far. I've still got a lot of scratch building and weathering to do before this one truly looks like a rat in the future...

OH wow! what a rat, that's really kool man, I gotta see this one done, I own a auto recycling biz, I know whare alot of those car's wind up, after there dealt the blow of death of mistreatment, and abuse, and I've seen many leave the shop, to be love'd and care'd for, but sad to say alot end In commeing my way, or a field, which I get to eventually,, anyway nice Furure Rat rod...

OH wow! what a rat, that's really kool man, I gotta see this one done, I own a auto recycling biz, I know whare alot of those car's wind up, after there dealt the blow of death of mistreatment, and abuse, and I've seen many leave the shop, to be love'd and care'd for, but sad to say alot end In commeing my way, or a field, which I get to eventually,, anyway nice Furure Rat rod...

Thanks! Yeah, the plan is to make this one look like it should have gone to the crusher... :P

Cool idea. Can it go into the future and back? :lol: ...

No...this one isn't built to leave the ground or the time zone its in...

You need to give one of these builds a try!!

Thanks, guys!! Yes, I had a lot of fun building the engine!!

The interior will be a lot of fun, too!!

AHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSS ;)

IMAGINATION IS ALIVE AND WELL :blink:

NOTHING LIKE WAY OUTTA THE BOX RAUL. GREAT START. ENGINE IS OVER THE TOP !!!

THIS WILL BE FUN TO WATCH :blink:

Where do these kinda idea's come from? :blink:;):lol:

The treehugger(still huggin' um)

Dave,

I was born in the mid-fifties, I'm a product of the 60's...I didn't get married until the 80's...need I say more?? :P

Later,

Well, Raul, this ones so far out the box, it ain't even IN DA HOUSE no more! You buildin this out in the yard? That's what I LOVE about our little hobby, ANYTHING you can imagine, you can just about build! Your lil Future Rat looks like it'll be out tha park! Can't wait to see it done!!! ;)

Well, Raul, this ones so far out the box, it ain't even IN DA HOUSE no more! You buildin this out in the yard? That's what I LOVE about our little hobby, ANYTHING you can imagine, you can just about build! Your lil Future Rat looks like it'll be out tha park! Can't wait to see it done!!! :(

Yeah...if my wife had her way, all of my building would be done outside! She hates the fumes from the paint and the glue.

This is turning out to be a really fun build that I'll probably finish over the Thanksgiving holiday...as long as I get the time I need to work on it...

:o:o:o speech less :o:o:o

Now that's worth the price of admission right there! :lol: Just kidding... ;)

Later,

Sure...I worked on the hauler for the Raptor over the weekend... :P

Do you want to see update pictures of it (the Raptor hauler)? All of the bodywork is done on the truck, except for the bed, and it's been primed.

Later,

Of corse I would

Of corse I would

OK...I'll see what I can put together when I get home tonight. :P

By the way, those are GREAT new pics of the kids!!

Is that why you missed the Good-Guys show?

No...on Saturday I was busy having breakfast and looking at old photos with my grandfather and a friend. On Sunday I went to the Winchester Mystery House with my wife and a friend that I work with that's visiting from China. Besides, I had nothing new to show...

Later,