Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Joe, I'll spray the thing with a mix of Tamiya Buff, Deck Tan and F/White. I'll go back and scrub the finish with a old brush creating chips and worn paint. After that a wash of tan enamel mixed with a dab of burnt umber oil in all the nooks and crannies. I go light with the wash and pinwash as to not make the thing too dark. Sunbleached and worn is the effect I'm going for. When all that is pretty dry I'll used tiny dabs of oil paints to accent hatches and high wear areas. Tracks get a dark dirty brown base followed by layers of red brown/rust colored washes. I'll finish them with a drybrush of MM Enamel "Jet Exhaust" as that color looks just like a sand burnished track in the desert.

This is the look I'm after.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79981

It takes longer to describe than to do! ;)

G

Edited by Agent G

Wayne:Now that's an in depth weathering tutorial there! I remember seeing something like that on a Vallejo dvd that I have here at the house. I've watched it about 3 or 4 times just for retention sake. You've added a couple of things that aint on that video though. Thanks for sharing that info and look forward to seeing it in action.

Jason:Wow! Thats a high parts count from what I can see! I've got a couple of those crushed boxes but contents ok kits too. lol

Ok fellas I'm going to kick this thing off with a little recap of this kit. I had already started this kit last November but put it on freeze for another GB thats going on elsewhere and then again for this GB. Here's where it all started. My Tamiya Fw190 D-9 fuselage halves laid out together before any cutting took place:

TamiyaD-9fuselage002_zpsbbe917e3.jpg

and after carving the front of the plane from the fuselage and the tail fin access panel from the tail:

TamiyaFw190D9fuselagecutup_zps8325ff7e.j

This'll be the update that I'll be using for this beauty:

Fw190D9002_zps55dcead2.jpg

Ok fellas I'm going to kick this thing off with a little recap of this kit. I had already started this kit last November but put it on freeze for another GB thats going on elsewhere and then again for this GB. Here's where it all started. My Tamiya Fw190 D-9 fuselage halves laid out together before any cutting took place:

TamiyaD-9fuselage002_zpsbbe917e3.jpg

and after carving the front of the plane from the fuselage and the tail fin access panel from the tail:

TamiyaFw190D9fuselagecutup_zps8325ff7e.j

This'll be the update that I'll be using for this beauty:

Fw190D9002_zps55dcead2.jpg

Oh boy good thing this is a long community build......it looks fun but quite involved. I have to wait a week to get started on mine, gotta finish a F-150 pick-up model for a friend first. I'm one of those build one at a time guys. :unsure:

This is with the CMK tailwheel retracting mechanism "guts" in their undercarraige set for this bird. I simply could NOT resist doing this. The fuselage is together with no cockpit assembled yet. The assist spring that came with the CMK kit SUCKED so I bought some guitar string, cut to proper length, painted steel and applied a MIG productions dark wash to the spring.

6dcfbbf3-5b1f-4260-8fc9-161520eb13d6_zps

This is with the CMK tailwheel retracting mechanism "guts" in their undercarraige set for this bird. I simply could NOT resist doing this. The fuselage is together with no cockpit assembled yet. The assist spring that came with the CMK kit SUCKED so I bought some guitar string, cut to proper length, painted steel and applied a MIG productions dark wash to the spring.

6dcfbbf3-5b1f-4260-8fc9-161520eb13d6_zps

Nice work so far Joe. Cant wait to get started on mine.

Alrighty then, here we go,

Opened the box this morning, looked at it all, then had to glue something together, just to get it started; 4 vents, 2 oil drums, 1 tire :D

Mark

Gotta start somewhere...right? Looks like a cool project.

Oh Mark this is a geat one.

It's one of the Cyber Hobby "White Box" Limited Edition kits. I bought this one a couple years ago for asking price, $45, and now they're up to $55+ if your lucky. A friend decided to thin the heard and let me pick up another for $25.

I'll be building African panzers all summer!

G

Oh Mark this is a geat one.

It's one of the Cyber Hobby "White Box" Limited Edition kits. I bought this one a couple years ago for asking price, $45, and now they're up to $55+ if your lucky. A friend decided to thin the heard and let me pick up another for $25.

I'll be building African panzers all summer!

G

That sounds great to me Wayne!!! Can't wait to see some good Steel Cat action going on here! NIce kit!!!

Edited by mustang1989