Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Help With Resin Kits

Resin parts can be sanded, drilled, painted and handled like any other part. The main difference is the glue. Plastic cement will not work. You can use superglue or 5 min epoxy. The only problem with superglue is that you only have one chance of positioning the part correctly. Epoxy will give you a minute or two for adjustments.

Resin parts sometimes have flash or excess material that can be carefully removed with a sharp blade. If the part has any pinhole or imperfection, you can fill it and sand it before continuing.

Like any other part, make sure it is clean before working with it. Sometimes in the resin process release agents are used and the part must be cleaned before further work. Check with the manufacturer for details, as there are many different types out there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

What is Ismael said is a good way to start. I use light grit sand paper to do a light sanding, then I clean all the resin with a good detergent and warm water, but not hot. Hot water can soften resin. Find a good primer. I prefer automotive primer. See if there's any holes that need to be filled. Use either superglue (CA) or epoxy. Then treat it like any other kit that you would build. Another thing you need to do is to test fit all the pieces before assembling. Resin has a tendency to warp. Sometimes you can get the warpage out of the resin. If you any problems, let us know. We'll try to help. Once you get the hang of resin, you'll find that it's mainly cleanup and prep of the kit. That the only difference.

Most people's tendencies are that if they're building something they really want, they usually make fewer mistakes. Resin is pretty durable so that if you make a mistake, it wouldn't be too hard to clean up. The best thing is to find a resin kit from a good manufacturer. There's usually fewer things you end up having to fix on them. They usually are easier to put together. But if you're worried, look around at some of the less expensive bodies or kits to see if there's something you like and then pick one up to give it a try. The key thing is to just take your time. The prep work is what's going to make the kit.

The way I started out was to go in "head first" and bought a kit of a car that I really wanted to do and just gave it a try. It turned out decent and my skills were better after dealing with the kit.

Small parts are a good way to break into resin, maybe a hood with a scoop or add a scoop to an existing plastic hood. A bit of advice, if the caster used a mold release compound, use what he says to wash the parts off first. If you sand them first, you can imbed the mold release below the surface which will cause paint problems later on.

Bob