Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any other musicians in the house?

atomicholiday

I used to play trumpet but lost my chops about 15 years back. Looked into a reed mouthpiece but never followed through. Sang and played a little bass with a couple high-school bands. Always wanted to play keyboards, bought a teach-yourself rig for the computer as a self-gift for this Christmas. Got an Irish tin whistle and a harmonica too.

While I "have an ear" for music , and while I've had the desire to play an instrument , I've never been able to "get it" .

I've always been fascinated with the Mellotron , Moog , and Farfisa keyboards ; the Sitar is beautiful ( I painted the body of a friend's sitar back in the 90's . Clashy psychedelic colours . It really stood out ! Some-thing perplexing about hearing him play his sitar to Venus In Furs (Velvet Underground , 1966) at a coffeehouse ! ).

Who knows ? Maybe some-day I'll get the bearings to play some simple 3-chord stuff ... Just don't call me Robert Quine yet !

I have a few guitars. Not very good at it and don't have a lot of time or attention to give serious lessons or dedicated practice. But even though I can't play well, to me guitars are as beautiful as cars and I'll collect em if I can get em cheap. Or if I really want em. Like my black 60's tribute Gibson Les Paul.

I play around.

Played trumpet and drums many moon ago.

Auditioned for Stan Kenton once upon a time . . . he liked my sound, but told me to come back after I finished college, and high school, and junior high school. Yeah, I was young. Yeah, he was nice, kind, and generous . . . and a friend of my dad's at the time. {I was good, but I wasn't that good! ^_^ }

I traded my cr-p Squier Strat to my Dad for a rig model and a few trailers :)

I've got a Lowrey Magic Genie 88 double manual organ with a built-in Leslie speaker that's fun to play... I attempt to play the guitar occasionally, but I don't like it as much as the organ.

We've got I think eight guitars.

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

Have played guitar for 35 years, some garage, and pub bands.

Have collected guitars and have 7 and a bass.

My friend and jam/recording buddy passed away (heart attack in his sleep) 2 years ago and just haven't had the itch since.

I leave my first (yamaha steel FG345) out for noodling.

I played guitar in several garage bands in my younger days. The first group I was in we called ourselves "The Hydraulic Banana". I still have the electric guitar I got in Nov. '69 & used in most of these groups. I haven't played in so many years It would take me forever to relearn everything.

• 2 weeks later...

​I have played rhythm guitar with a couple of Old Timey String Bands, and now get together with a whole group of folks to play at some one's house. By far the most fun, better than playing in bands, jamming is the way to go. 1955 gibson LG-2 and a 1949 Kalamazoo (made by gibson) very vintage and very mellow.