Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/12 1930 Bentley Racing Car

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

John, amazing build. I bought this kit a few months ago and had aspirations of upgrading a few details, but yours is unreal! I actually went and bought the back issue of the magazine your build was in. Amazing work. Question: What kind of mesh did you use for the grille and headlights? And where might I find it?

John, amazing build. I bought this kit a few months ago and had aspirations of upgrading a few details, but yours is unreal! I actually went and bought the back issue of the magazine your build was in. Amazing work. Question: What kind of mesh did you use for the grille and headlights? And where might I find it?

Thanks guys for the kind comments........Peter,I bought the mesh here in Calif. a few years ago.....at "Burbank House Of Hobbies" in Burbank Ca........I`m pretty sure they have a website?........it is thin copper mesh that comes in a square 10 or 12 in x1/2 inch. tube........the mesh rolls out to about 2ft..........and cost around $10.00 if I remember correctly?.......check the website or you can call them at 818 848-3674.......I no longer have the tube so I can`t tell you the brand......but,if you get a hold of them I`m sure they still have some?.......hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi John

I have been studying your posts of the Bentley build with great interest.

It really goes to show just what you can do with an elderly kit with a bit of imagination, lateral thinking and an eye for detail.

My own particular interests lie with the older classic cars and I am very impressed with your superb build.

Kind regards

Noel Smith

Hi John

I have been studying your posts of the Bentley build with great interest.

It really goes to show just what you can do with an elderly kit with a bit of imagination, lateral thinking and an eye for detail.

My own particular interests lie with the older classic cars and I am very impressed with your superb build.

Kind regards

Noel Smith

Noel……..thank you so much my friend…….that was very kind of you :)

My pleasure John.

Just out of interest, Airfix re released this kit last year with a different number plate for another short chassis car.

Hopefully, they may have sorted out the position of the Winged B emblem on the radiator shell. It should be where John placed it during his build. I cannot understand why Airfix got that detail so wrong as they had full access to the real car when it was in Neil Corner's ownership in the early seventies to develop the kit. The radiator shell is the 'face' of any classic car, so if anything should be got right on a kit it has to be the radiator shell. It beggars belief that in all the times they re released this kit over the years this one item had not been sorted out. Also, in the latest re incarnation of this kit, the parts that were previously matt plated are now just plain plastic, and the kit is not packaged so well inside the box as it was before. More loose stuff in bags.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 4 months later...

FANTASTIC DETAIL- saw this car at NNL WEST and I can tell you it is even better in person!

I do have some critique though- and that is the muffler-seems to be dangerously low and vulnerable to rocks- even if the kit came that way I would lift it up.

The dark green paint is also superb and a nice contrast to the Vanden -Plas body work. an inspirational build!

FANTASTIC DETAIL- saw this car at NNL WEST and I can tell you it is even better in person!

I do have some critique though- and that is the muffler-seems to be dangerously low and vulnerable to rocks- even if the kit came that way I would lift it up.

The dark green paint is also superb and a nice contrast to the Vanden -Plas body work. an inspirational build!

Wholeheartedly agree!! It came to Phoenix last year for Desert Scale Classic 9. What a spectacular eye-feast it is!!

Hi Frank…….thank you so much for your kind comments………I have fixed the muffler since these pictures were taken and the NNL……..it looks allot better…….I will have to dig out a new photo to show you when i get a chance…….thanks :)

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi John once again.

Forgot to ask in my last two posts where you got the tyres from? Obviously they are not the Aifix/MPC items.

Are they from another kit or proprietary items?

Incidentally, there is a guy named Peter Buckingham over here in the UK who has also super detailed the Bentley Kit. Just go onto the internet and punch in his name followed by Bentley and it should throw up some pics. Reckon you might find them interesting!

Kind regards  Noel Smith