Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '32 Ford : any interest in traditional bits ?

That's some serious drop. Not a dropped factory Ford axle, but an aftermarket forging. Beautiful. I just sent the $5 to Norm on Saturday, so I'll be getting the catalog of what's already available shortly, and we'll go from there. I also saw the latest set of printed high-res parts and some resin copies yesterday at the ACME meeting, and I have to say, as far as I'm concerned, the resolution is good enough now.

I was kindly given a resin test-shot pair of these Kong heads in 1/25 (the masters were printed) and will post pix as soon as I get them cleaned up and primered.

KONGJacksonHeads-vi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Pico Elgin (Ettore on the ACME and other sites) gave me the pair of clear resin heads he cast from molds he made from a printed master. I met the guy who CAD-mastered them yesterday and promptly forgot his name. Duh.

The masters were made without bolt head detail, so scale bolts need to be used.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanx for the info. I think Wes' involvement may have been peripheral but I know he's a member and was the one who showed them off. In any case they have always had a highly unique appearance and certainly would spice up any Flathead-motivated project.

Edited by Bernard Kron

The latest generation printed parts I saw yesterday are much higher res than anything I've seen previously and need zero cleanup. The resin copies I have are too fat, from mold over-filling, and were pulled from molds pulled from the earlier print run. I think a good scrub and one coat of Duplicolor gray will have them ready to post (along with filing the bottoms flat).

• 2 weeks later...

That's some serious drop. Not a dropped factory Ford axle, but an aftermarket forging. Beautiful. I just sent the $5 to Norm on Saturday, so I'll be getting the catalog of what's already available shortly, and we'll go from there. I also saw the latest set of printed high-res parts and some resin copies yesterday at the ACME meeting, and I have to say, as far as I'm concerned, the resolution is good enough now.

I was kindly given a resin test-shot pair of these Kong heads in 1/25 (the masters were printed) and will post pix as soon as I get them cleaned up and primered.

KONGJacksonHeads-vi.jpg

Hey mate thats what I'm looking for! I need a pair of it!

Bill, you may want to check in on ThePartsBox.com. They make very nice dropped I-beam axles. Like all resin axles, in the past they drooped over time under the weight of the completed model. Recently they added wire reinforcement which hopefully should remedy the problem. Unfortunately they are fighting the strong Aussie dollar which creates an opportunity for a domestic USA product. I have used a good many of their products, including the old production of axles which have since drooped, and the quality is first-rate throughout. The only parts vendor who exceeds their quality is Norm Veber at Replicas & Miniatures. Below are a link to their website and some pics. Also, in 2008 I wrote a review of the Replica's & Miniatures A-V8 transkit which uses the Revell 1/25 Deuce suspension bits, It will give you an idea of the exceptional quality of his offerings. Here's a link to that post: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11731 .

Link: http://www.thepartsbox.com/ (Oddly, look under "Exterior" for front suspension parts)

Pics:

1137 - Axle pack (I-beam wild drop) Now reinforced with a hidden wire insert!

1137.jpg

1136 - Axle straight, adjustable shackles plus spring pack Now reinforced with a hidden wire insert..

1136.jpg

Here's their 2298 - Axle ( I - beam wild drop) which I used on a project that featured a large number of their products including a complete Nailhead Buick V8

DSCF4057-web.jpg

Thanks for all the good info, Bernard especially. My research continues.

I got the Replicas and Miniatures catalog a couple days ago, and I gotta say....anyone who is serious about custom-car and hot-rod modeling needs one. There's page after page of cool stuff, a lot I had no idea was available in resin, and all of it reasonably priced. Some of the parts offered have inspired new builds, and the catalog was definitely a great use of $5.