Model Cars Magazine Forum

$0.49 ? What happened to these ? Where's the dragster ?

I have a ton of great memories coming back since I've come back to modeling . My older brothers were into building & that's what got me started . Fast forward 30 years & one of my brothers has since passed away, but is never to far from my thoughts. I always think of him & how he'd build . This isn't a sad thing at all , rather it makes me very happy ..

As Scummy mentioned please don't judge all Aussie modelllers by the comments of one bitter individual, thankfully his other comment was removed.

Please- you and Scummy don't need to apologize for guys like him. All over the world you Aussies are known for your laid-back, carefree, friendly attitude. But even going in thinking that, we all know there are exceptions to every rule... Mr. Angrypants there being one of 'em. B)

• 1 year later...

Forty Niner? IIRC these were models that sold for 49 cents...which says to me this is prolly 1/32 scale.

I'd like to see some of Monogram's old 1/32 cars come back. They had a nice drag Willys, a couple of F1 cars, and a couple others I can't recall.

Forty Niner? IIRC these were models that sold for 49 cents...which says to me this is prolly 1/32 scale.

I'd like to see some of Monogram's old 1/32 cars come back. They had a nice drag Willys, a couple of F1 cars, and a couple others I can't recall.

there was a "caster" selling bodys of the Monogram 1/32 drag cars, most likely for slot car use.

MonoFordScreamer.jpg

I still have mine from, what, 1971? The Knights of Columbus recruited us kids to sell poppies for charity downtown on a Saturday morning. With my cut, my best friend and I went to Woolworths and I bought this for 49-cents. I always kept it for sentimental reasons.

I pulled a kit out of my stash this week that still had the original $6.00 sticker on it. Brought back a lot of memories.

I have a bunch of kits that stil have the price sticker on them of $4.99

Now I jump for joy when its under $20

I remember 2 Sports car racers Think Le Mans/Daytona 24 Hours

A Ford Cooper & Ferrari.

One time offered as a 2 car kit, then separately

I have had Both versions of the pair.

The rear "Sports car" Tires are on my Rescue Ambulance

issue of Revell's 1/32 Chevy Van!!!

I too would like to see many of Revell's AND Amt's & MPC's

1/32 scale kits re-issued

But, I am looking for the more Stock kits.

65 BArracuda, GTO, Mustang 2+2 (ex Aurora)

SWAT Van & Nova (But that was butchered into a

Custom "El Camino" type as well as the Buick & Mercury 55/56 Annuals.

All the others were re-issued but not those 2!!

AMT's All Stars (The Avanti is Suppose to be out this year)
I hope the others will follow. 60 Thunderbird, 61 Falcon Ranchero, 63 Split-Window Vette

40 Ford Sedan. I know there are others I am forgetting.

MPS 1/32 kits I would like to see again are the 77/78 Monaco Police

That was Issued only ONCE and now Impossible to find!!!!

The Dodge Van, Futuristic Van, 32 Ford Panel & 73+ Chevy Stepside pickup

These 4 were re-issued in many sets including Star Wars, Dukes Of Hazzard

Comic character (Hulk, etc), Emergency vehicle, and Atari games

Are some of the Monogram 1/32 snap Car kits Back again??

I know the semi's are getting re-issued, but the cars?

69 Camaro, & Mach-1, 78 Vette, 68 GTO, ZZ Top Ford Coupe, Cobra Roadster??

Last I saw they were in Seasonal series, I got a few Halloween & Winter

Clearanced from W-M and YES, Several at 50 CENTS each!!!!!!!

I started buying them at 75 Cents Clearance!!!!!

I would also like to see The Monogram Glue series re-issued

EXP, Nova, and esspecially the 69 Charger!!!!!! These go HIGH too IF found

Thanks for posting those boxes, Greg! I've always thought that Corvette looked like a miniature of the 1/25 SMP (AMT) kit, down to the tiny headlights and other inaccuracies.

OT, but here's the Air Power set I built about 1977. Sold on eBay a few years ago with the original box and booklet. This piece was one of the coolest things Monogram ever produced! Never been reissued.

airpower8-vi.jpg

airpower13-vi.jpg

airpower16-vi.jpg

airpower4-vi.jpg

Man, that's awesome.

AMT's All Stars (The Avanti is Suppose to be out this year)

I hope the others will follow. 60 Thunderbird, 61 Falcon Ranchero, 63 Split-Window Vette

40 Ford Sedan. I know there are others I am forgetting.

There were at least two more: an Indy roadster and a '32 Ford 3-window coupe (which begs the question: why didn't AMT do this in 1/25??)

Speaking of the Ranchero, check out this one from eBay:

post-12159-0-03846800-1429925108_thumb.j

post-12159-0-64582800-1429925137_thumb.j

post-12159-0-94420100-1429925169_thumb.j

Neat vintage slot conversion using (I think) two All-Star Rancheros and parts of the Aurora Packard ambulance. Note also the 1/32 Ranchero has the three little ribs on the taillight bezels that AMT missed on all their 1/25 kits.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I had all 3 of the 1/32 drag kits back in the day (early '70s).

Monogram really nailed it on those in a way that hasn't, IMHO, been equaled yet in any scale.

Like what Snake touched on earlier about the Fiat, they all just look prototypically "right".

I'm talking stance, proportions, wheel/tire size, engine location, etc.

I recall reading somewhere that they were patterned after real cars of the time. The Willys was a take on KS Pittmans' car, the '34 Ford was based on Ron Gerstners' strip/show car, and I can't recall the Fiats' origin.

They really captured the look of the subject matter in a satisfying way.

Rumor has it that the molds still exist for the Monogram Airpower set, but the hangup is the wire stands. Depending on the story, (1) those can't be economically produced today, or (2) they constitute too much of a "consumer hazard" for something that could find its way into the hands of children.

Who knows. :huh: