Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plug Wires - What Brand / Diameter?

Ok, when I see pictures posted on here of plug wires they look like most people are using larger diameter wire than the Detail Master wires I've used for years. So what diameter wire are you guys using? Are you going for scale diameter or what looks good? Both are ok because part of scale realism is fooling the eye to make you think what you are seeing is correct.

To me the Detail Master plug wires look too skinny especially on performance engines, they're way too thin looking on a Hemi or any other racing engine. Is there another commercially available plug wire out there for race engines?

Ok, when I see pictures posted on here of plug wires they look like most people are using larger diameter wire than the Detail Master wires I've used for years. So what diameter wire are you guys using? Are you going for scale diameter or what looks good? Both are ok because part of scale realism is fooling the eye to make you think what you are seeing is correct.

To me the Detail Master plug wires look too skinny especially on performance engines, they're way too thin looking on a Hemi or any other racing engine. Is there another commercially available plug wire out there for race engines?

Consider this: If a sparkplug wire on a real engine were 1/4" in diameter, in 1:25 scale it would be just .010", which is pretty doggon small to most eyes. For that reason, some of us do like using slightly larger wire for plugs, for a visual effect, even though they might be a bit oversize in actual scale.

For wire, I would look at copper beading wire, as that comes in a pretty wide variety of sizes, and being copper, it's soft and quite flexible.

Art

I have pretty good luck going for close to scale-correct. :)

Figure some recent performance plug wires are 9mm outside diameter. That's .354331 inches. Divide that by 25 for 1/25 scale, and you get about .014 inches. ;)

There are tons of different kinds of craft-store beading wire (as Art suggested) in both colored, coated metal and plastic materials in diameters close to that (and the packages are labeled as such), and there's also very fine insulated electronics wire. B)

Thinner wire looks better on stock engines (8mm) and thinner still on vintage '30s-'50s stuff (7mm). 7mm wire will be about .011 inches in 1/25 scale, and I can easily see the difference. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have pretty good luck going for close to scale-correct. :)

Figure some recent performance plug wires are 9mm outside diameter. That's .354331 inches. Divide that by 25 for 1/25 scale, and you get about .014 inches. ;)

There are tons of different kinds of craft-store beading wire (as Art suggested) in both colored, coated metal and plastic materials in diameters close to that (and the packages are labeled as such), and there's also very fine insulated electronics wire. B)

Thinner wire looks better on stock engines (8mm) and thinner still on vintage '30s-'50s stuff (7mm). 7mm wire will be about .011 inches in 1/25 scale, and I can easily see the difference. :rolleyes:

Good on Bill for the information as to diameter of at least some current plug wire! .014" is pretty much right on to US AWG 27-gauge wire, but that isn't readily available at any of the Michael's or Hobby Lobby stores I've been in, either here in Lafayette, or in Indianapolis--but both 26-gauge (.0159") and 28-gauge (.0126) are readily available in soft copper beading wire. For as close to scale as possible with this 1:1 size in mind, I'd go with 28-gauge, because once painted, it will probably be at least .014" diameter.

Art

the kynar type wire wrap can be had in several colors as seen in James link, good sources are Digikey.com, Mouser.com and Newark.com

they will also have larger/smaller gauges that can be used for other details like brake lines or radiator/heater hoses.

I bought 3 spools of wire wrapping wire(that's what Radio Shack called It) comes in red white and blue. You can color the white by just drilling a small hole in a sharpie and pulling it thru the hole

The tip with the hole in the sharpie sounds pretty awesome... I will have to try that.

I am cheap and use wrapping wire as well