Model Cars Magazine Forum

A/SR '32 Ford Roadster

tim boyd

That's a way cool build Tim! I love the mods on 'er man! I think my favorite mod is those headers....they give it a raw street freak look...perfect!

Did you make 'um?

Marty...they were the headers from the '64 Dodge Super Stock kit from JoHan. They are single castings; these were from a late production run and were (like most of the kits from JoHanin the final years) just loaded with flash. I remember it took several hours to prep each one and I used Flat Black paint to hide the remaining flaws when Flat White would have been more era-correct. I had to slightly adjust the header tube spacing where they meet the exhaust outlets on the cylinder hears, to properly match the Ford FE (vs. Chrysler Hemi) exhaust port spacing.

Best regards...TIM

To everyone who has replied to this thread....thanks guys for all the great commments. Best regards...TIM

I really like that , the changes are cool . the headers look like they are from the old JoHan super stock dodge , 1964 i think have a pair somewhere . i really enjoy your work i have some old articles from some 70's model car magazine with your work in it that i read as a kid growing up . I think it was the Charger triple threat . Way cool stuff back then . but this one makes me wanna get to building some gasser stuff now . Thanks Michael

really great build and very inspirational; i see a number of things there i will try to replicate but maybe i can ask, how did you mount those front cycle fenders? i see very thin wiring there but could you explain how you went about doing it and making the fenders follow the circle of the tire so well? thats gonna be one of my soon-upcoming challenges.

really great build and very inspirational; i see a number of things there i will try to replicate but maybe i can ask, how did you mount those front cycle fenders? i see very thin wiring there but could you explain how you went about doing it and making the fenders follow the circle of the tire so well? thats gonna be one of my soon-upcoming challenges.

JB - Good question! I actually glued the fenders to the tires using five minute epoxy applied along the centerline of the underside of each fender. Then I added the fender supports which tie to the kingpin on the axle, and expoxied them to the fenders. Because the fenders wrap the tires so tightly, it is impossible to tell that I glued them to the tires.

The Rat Roadster kit now has the parts to accomplish the same result, albeit in a far easier way.

Thanks for asking...TIM

hey thanks for that, never ever would have thought of gluing the fenders to the tires! thats kinda cheating! but i like it and since i dont build with rolling wheels thats gonna work out great! about the fender mounts on the rat roaster, i havent opened my kit yet, but arent they way more clunky than what youve got there? thats what i liked so much about yours...its got realistically thin fender supports. because they are really supporting anything! :D

edit: i just broke open my rat roaster to check out the fenders and braces because i figured Tim had to be on to something. sure enough, nice mounting system connected to and coming off the front disk brakes, chrome, very thin and nice looking. and the fenders make me think i am going to use them instead of the ones i had earmarked for the project but i think i will stick with Tims method of gluing to the tires and then make some nice braces out of wire. thanks again thats what this forum is so excellent about...

thanks again for the advice and you might be seeing it pop up soon on one of my posts. i think i will mix in a bit of black ink with the epoxy too.

Edited by jbwelda