Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Foose '68 Firebird

jeffs396

Not that anyone is actively looking for this kit (judging from the comments in this thread :D ), but are you guys seeing this kit on shelves? I have been to all the Hobby Lobby`s, Michaels, and a few other places close by and haven`t seen a single one yet. I saw they have a slot on the shelves labeled for it in Hobby Lobby, but the ones I`ve been to must be sold out before I get to them.

Not that anyone is actively looking for this kit (judging from the comments in this thread :D ), but are you guys seeing this kit on shelves? I have been to all the Hobby Lobby`s, Michaels, and a few other places close by and haven`t seen a single one yet. I saw they have a slot on the shelves labeled for it in Hobby Lobby, but the ones I`ve been to must be sold out before I get to them.

Michaels and Hobby Lobby take a long time to bring in new kits, I am still waiting for HL to start selling the GMC snow plow kit

I originally saw many of them at a local show on September 30th, and also while at one of my LHS on Monday.

My nearest Hobby Lobby had a spot for the new '50 Olds, AND the new Revell '57 FORD!!! already! Of course both spots were empty, didn't notice a spot for the Foose Firebird though...

The biggest gripe (or whine) I have is this isn't some dusty common kit they tossed wheels into, it was already in active release. Remember it was one of the choices in this year's Gearz contest.

In the October releases is that Ford Lightning kit. That's another one that's so fresh from the last minting my LHS still has it on the shelf.

If they want to reissue stuff, there's plenty of things in the vault that haven't seen the light in ages. Good examples would be the re-pop of the '99 Mustang Cobra and '65 Impala Convertible, two that never saw the light of day after their first runs.

Take the wheel tooling and licensing money from the Foose kits and clean up an old classic mold, even if it's nothing I would buy, kind rather see some segment of the hobby happy than this dreck.

Actually the original Firebird kit has been de-listed from suppliers for about 3-4 months, so it is no longer an active listing from Revell. Do suppliers and hobby shops still have them on the shelves? Sure they do....but to say Revell released the Foose version while the original one is still active, is simply not a true statement.

Again, if anyone expected Revell to do anything else besides add in a new set of wheels and decals, vs re-tooling the kit to suit the real car, then you need to give you head a shake. Besides which....the kit is closer to the real car, than the actual artwork is to the real car. Other than the lowered suspension, there really isn't that much difference cosmetically. And I think we can all lower the suspension on our own.

Actually the original Firebird kit has been de-listed from suppliers for about 3-4 months, so it is no longer an active listing from Revell.

I'm glad you brought that up, Scott. Does Revell send a list of which kits have been discontinued, or do you only find out when you can no longer order it?

I noticed the '68 Firebird 400, '86 Monte Carlo SS, '79 Camari Z/28, and Revell '69 Yenko Nova all went on clearance @ Michael's at the same time, so I'm wondering if there's a pattern.

Actually the original Firebird kit has been de-listed from suppliers for about 3-4 months, so it is no longer an active listing from Revell. Do suppliers and hobby shops still have them on the shelves? Sure they do....but to say Revell released the Foose version while the original one is still active, is simply not a true statement.

I stand corrected then, as I will bow to your knowledge of what kits are and aren't currently active. I guess the point I was trying to get at was it was announced back at the time the Gearz contest started, and at that point it was an active release.

My LHS has the current former Firebird kit, and it's $5 less than the Foose kit. Man you really gotta want to do THAT car really bad considering you can't build the car in it's stock and drag variations out of the box.

Michaels and Hobby Lobby take a long time to bring in new kits, I am still waiting for HL to start selling the GMC snow plow kit

Last time I looked at Hobby Lobby, they did not make a space for the GMC pickup kit. They did have a spot for the 50 Olds and the 57 Ford though.

They better watch out if the make a spot for those Mobeius Ford Pickups, I will be buying them like crazy with my 40% off coupon!

While I understand the disappointment expressed by many here, I am with the minority and say that the completed model does look like the 1:1 finished version. I may or may not buy this kit, but it won't be because of the wheels or the stance of the model when completed.

If there is one thing I have learned it is this- No matter how hard the model companies try, whatever they release will be subjected to intense criticism. Whether or not Revell "misled" or "intentionally deceived" us builders, most of us have been around long enough to know how these companies work.

If you like the subject matter, buy it. If you don't, don't. At some point the model companies will figure out if their strategy works.

I'm glad you brought that up, Scott. Does Revell send a list of which kits have been discontinued, or do you only find out when you can no longer order it?

I noticed the '68 Firebird 400, '86 Monte Carlo SS, '79 Camari Z/28, and Revell '69 Yenko Nova all went on clearance @ Michael's at the same time, so I'm wondering if there's a pattern.

Not really, but the supplier that I get Revell through is good at marking an item as delisted, it will either have (D) after the product name or just delete the listing altogether. A couple that went away really fast was the Accurate Miniatures Corvette that was re-released in the Revell box....that seems to come in one day and gone the next. Also the 1/16 Peterbilt, was delisted really quickly....but then again that was a SSP release.

I was kind of hoping to see the 1/16 Kenworth, or 1/16 trailer re-released, and the 1/25 car hauler. Guess we have to still wait on those.

BTW, Yenko Nova is gone, no listing at all, the '86 Monte with the Donks wheels is showing as delisted, but the teal one with the wire wheels is still listed as available, the Camaro is still showing as available though.

Others showing as delisted, '55 Chevy Shoebox Sportsman, '06 Mustang GT, '69 Mustang Mach I Cobra Jet, Ed Roth Outlaw, GMC Syclone truck, '67 Corvette Convertible, Kenworth W900 (that sucks as I sell a ton of them), Chrysler 300C Hemi, '65 Mustang Shelby GT350R, Ferrari 612, & Ferrari 599GTB.

So if you see any of these out and about, and you want them, better pick them up as they will likely be gone for awhile.

I also look at Tower Hobbies and see what the have listed as "Limited Quantities", and don't include the very new or not yet released kits, and they seem to jive somewhat with the few I've seen on clearance at Michael's. Some, but not all. Tower also has listed the following Revell kits as LQ:

'07 Ford Shelby GT500, '70 Boss 429 Mustang, '69 Nova SS ('08 box date IIRC), '48 Ford Custom Coupe, '69 Camaro Convertible, '56 Del Ray, '41 Chevy Pickup, as well as the '68 Firebird, Syclone, '69 Mach 1, and Outlaw you mentioned.

I don't know, but if it ends up being a heads up to someone who's been dragging their feet, I guess it has some value.

I was in my local HobbyTown USA yesterday and they had red dots on many kits and I noticed they tended to be older kits that have been mentioned in this topic. The good news is that there are a bunch of new kits coming and we haven't heard from Round 2 yet!

Scott, which W900 is going out, the snap kit or the full build version?

Mike, I noticed the same thing when I picked up my 50 Olds, he must be getting ready for some new inventory.

My mistake, it is the Revell Germany W900 that is being de-listed. The Revell USA snap kit turned glue kit is still going to be available, which is good as I sell quite a few of those.

So this thread is over two weeks old now, and I have yet to see it anywhere here...Hobby Lobbies, LHS`s, AC Moore, Michaels, department stores...all no luck. I have some thoughts on this kit, but would like to withhold them until I actually get my hands on one. Anyone in the PA/MD area seeing these anywhere?

So this thread is over two weeks old now, and I have yet to see it anywhere here...Hobby Lobbies, LHS`s, AC Moore, Michaels, department stores...all no luck. I have some thoughts on this kit, but would like to withhold them until I actually get my hands on one. Anyone in the PA/MD area seeing these anywhere?

I've seen it at Hobby Works in Laurel. I've seen it somewhere else, too - maybe GPA Hobbies in Crofton?

My local HobbyTown has them in stock, and I saw a built-up one done by a competent modeler in the ACME club at a show yesterday. The wheels are definitely 'blah' and the stance looks NOTHING like the box-art illustration, and seems to sit even higher than the box-built-up-photo. The model sits ridiculously high with no attempt apparently by Revell to get the tires actually UNDER and INSIDE the wheelwells. The Foose rendering is lowered and mean-looking. The model is jacked-up and stupid looking. Unless you like jacked-up and dorky, or have no clue as to what stance is.

PS. Not to criticise Foose...the man's a genius in many ways....but the model DOES accurately represent the 1:1 car shown in post #52 of this thread, which is VERY different from the rendering.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Maybe we should call the box-art illustration the "box art illusion".

I am amazed that anyone is upset because an illustration isn't just like the finished product.

Illustrations always look sleek and far more enticing than a photo.

As for the stance, you're model builders... lower it. You're not being hosed by the manufacturer.

Be grateful that Pablo Picasso didn't do the cover art.

Maybe we should call the box-art illustration the "box art illusion".

Be grateful that Pablo Picasso didn't do the cover art.

That's pretty funny. :rolleyes:

And you're right, more advanced model builders are capable of making the mods to the kit to make it look like the illustrations. BUT, the basic, 'average' modeler isn't, and he's the one hosed by box-art that that portrays an idealized version of the contents. The photo on the box is taken from a slightly high angle too, which tends to minimize just how high the model sits. First time over a pot-hole if it were 1:1 and you'd have nice grooves cut in the sidewalls of your tires by the wheel-opening sheetmetal (unless it was on rock-hard suspension).

PS. If I opened a box with a picture of Angelina Jolie on it and out hopped Rosanne Barr, I'd be a little disappointed. I think that's about the amount of similarity between the 'illusion' and the reality in this case.

And you're right, more advanced model builders are capable of making the mods to the kit to make it look like the illustrations. BUT, the basic, 'average' modeler isn't, and he's the one hosed by box-art that that portrays an idealized version of the contents.

I might agree if the box showed only sketches and artistic renderings, but does anyone who is considering buying the kit and looking at what's on the box NOT even look at the side panels? The odds of such a scenario are infinitesimally small.

I bet all of us at one time or another have purchased a kit which was not quite what the box artwork advertised, and we're still building. Will it scare away a few potential modelers? Probably, but I don't think the number who would be turned off would be enough to cause any significant dent in our numbers. I'm sure a few would even take the opportunity to do some customizing and kitbashing, so those people may even things out in the end.