Model Cars Magazine Forum

wet sanding

looking for more help i just started back into the hobby with my boys and i"m still learning

this Forums is great. My question is after you lay down your last base coat and you let it dry

should you wet sand it again before you clear it !!!! i Haven't and it seems after i let the clear dry

and rub the clear out the paint still looks like fog. any help once again is great.

If it's a solid color (no metallic), yes. If it's a metallic paint, no. I have sanded the Testors enamel metallics before clear and they did fine. Metallic lacquers, on the other hand, can not be sanded before clear.

What methods are you using to buff your Clear.

Are you sure you are not fogging up the ClearCoat?

Proper passes with an AirBrush or even a RattleCan will lay down glasslike finishes.

If your Primer is rough you might want to sand that down before your colorcoat.

CadillacPat

A lot of folks don't seem to get all the sanding scratches out of the clear when polishing, and it ends up looking "foggy". Wetsanding / polishing is actually some work, and some very careful paying-attention to what you're doing. Again, a lot of folks will just kind of pass the sandpaper over the model, give it a lick with the polish, and then be disappointed in the results. I'm NOT saying that's what you're doing, but how about posting some pix of what you've got, so we can help you more.

This is Testors rattle-can clear lacquer over metallic base. It has NOT been wet-sanded and polished at this point. As Pat said, you can lay it out slick. And Plowboy is right...do NOT sand the last metallic coat before clearing.

DSCN5584.jpg

i started with a rattle can paint all solid colors at this time. after i lay on atleast 2 coats let is dry

and then wet sand and come back with another two coats at this point i wasn't sure of wet sanding

or rub it out then clear. so i haven't done that just came back with atleast 3 coats of clear then let it dry and wet sand and rub it out with a Mcguire compond and also foloow it up with the 1/2 step of Novus polish. the paints is a enamels at this point