Model Cars Magazine Forum

#24 Jeff Gordon '97 Monte Carlo

W-409

I must continue the engine, but now I did some work for the chassis. I removed two ejector marks from the gas tank with file, and sandpaper. Also removed other two ejector marks just behind the gas tank and some text, like "Revell Monogram..." I put also some putty there, and now some sanding, and then the chassis is in pretty good shape, I didn't find too many things in that, well, the other side might be other thing, I haven't look at it yet.

P7110484.jpg

P7110485.jpg

P7110486.jpg

P7110487.jpg

P7110488.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Yes, these kits are great to build, but those ejector marks are quite stupid to remove... Anyway, the finished product is (hopefully) worth the job. Your models look very good too, really nice builds they are!

• 5 months later...

On the last update I added some putty for the chassis, and now I've sanded them smooth.Sanding was bit tricky from some spots, but I think, I managed to get them smooth, primer will show the mistakes then anyway. The third picture shows, that I removed other ejector marks too. And of course they needed some putty, so today I can sand them smooth too. Lots of ejector marks to remove, but I hope this is going to be real nice model when finished...

PC190206.jpg

PC190207.jpg

PC190208.jpg

PC190209.jpg

• 1 month later...

Do You Mean those Valve covers? Yes, they are aluminium, as I've been looking for those NASCAR engines..

This project is getting finally back on the bench, I guess. There's some putty work to do before painting or primering, but it's slowly getting there. I'm going to eliminate every mold line, ejector pin mark, etc. I see. I hope the end result with this build is going to be great.

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures yet, but some progress has been made. I try to take some pictures tomorrow, when it's not dark. Otherwise engine looks horrible in the pictures, but anyway I've made some progress with plumbing. Maybe I can install the carburetor tomorrow.

Here are some pictures about my progress. First I'd like to say Thank you Corey and Matt for the pictures. I installed those plumbings. Not too great, but I will think about doing them again, it is possible that engine don't fit in with those mounted like that. But let's see, I need to do little mock up and look if everything fits. Also some carburetor work, I made that white piece from styrene and drilled few holes there, to match 1:1 scale carb better. Now I'm just thinking about painting the carburetor. Maybe a mixture of silver and gold would work the best? That color I painted earlier doesn't look good to my eye.

P2260384.jpg

P2260385.jpg

P2260386.jpg

The carburetor looks rough, but I will make it better. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I painted the letters from two of those tires. Other two are still waiting, maybe I'll paint them today. They didn't turn out as good as I wanted, but I guess I can live with them. I have also continued working with that carburetor, and body too. But pictures of carb. and body are coming later.

P3100177.jpg

• 4 months later...

Updates are coming slowly, but there's lots of cleaning and sanding to do.... I hate sanding...

Today I painted engine belts semigloss black, pulleys were painted silver earlier. I have to do little cleaning before I can install that part though. Some work with the chassis too, sanding, putty etc. to remove sink marks, ejector marks and mold lines.... It's slowly but surely getting there.

P7120206.jpg

P7120202.jpg

P7120203.jpg

P7120205.jpg