Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Convertible Nascar version

MarkJ

I decided to look at the pictures I have again of the car and in one of them you can see the very top of the drivers seat. It is rounded at the top so it can't be the bench seat that came with the 61 Ford Starliner. I was trying to think of what seat Holman and Moody would use if they did not use the bench seat and I remembered that they used a Thunderbird in 1959. I'm starting to think that they took the bucket seat from the 59 Thunderbird and used it in the 61 Ford Starliner. The 1959 Thunderbird bucket seat is rounded at the top. Just speculation on my part but it kind of makes sense that they would use it. It was also probably used in Joe Weatherley's 1960 Ford that he drove for Holman and Moody in 1960. Again I have no proof just speculation..

Seems entirely possible that they would have swapped seats (less weight). They were getting much more sophisticated by 1961 ;) .

Bruce, a guy told me on another forum that the police package for the big ford in 1961 came with thunderbird bucket seats covered in fairlane 500 trim which was the cheapo trim by 1961. I'll bet that explains why they had buckets in the car. If you were

Holman and Moody you could probably order any way you wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark, is the wire so the tubing doesn't collapse on itself at the bend, or to help hold the bend in place? Do you heat the bend to keep it? The cage looks good so far.

Edited by bbowser

Mark, is the wire so the tubing doesn't collapse on itself at the bend, or to help hold the bend in place? Do you heat the bend to keep it? The cage looks good so far.

Bruce, for both reasons. Also with the wire in place you dont have to heat the bend unless its at an extreme 90 degree angle.

Nice build, Mark...I did a phantom '61 Nascar from a glue-bomb original convertible. I just cut the right seatback off and filled the smaller holes with styrene. They are fun to build the true 'stock' cars. Or at least they sure looked stock on the track!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...