Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Dale Earnhardt Wrangler Monte Carlo

JFortner5

the decals in my set were good better than average actually did not have a issue with that part of the build my problem was the front suspension I don't know if it was just a bad run or what but it was in about four pieces had to fix it with a older glue bomb parts car

post-11137-0-61116800-1359393319_thumb.jpost-11137-0-60969900-1359393340_thumb.j

Edited by bug1623

This paint is getting on my nerves. This is after a 3rd pretty heavy coat. After doing some reading I've found that testors spray enamel is not the best choice. I can't get this paint to cover the sharp edges and details. Hopefully you can see what I mean around the headlights and the body lines.

0674B4E3-C877-41FE-82B9-5570667009AD-896

Anyway, not much else to report except I got the rear suspension in:

7B7D0F98-C896-4F80-BACD-004409D17C31-896

And got the wheels and tires finished, well just one complete in this pic:

7ACD78EB-4A28-4CD7-B28D-8D30592B0BD1-896

I should be done with everything except for the body maybe by tomorrow. I only get an hour or two a night so maybe a couple more days. I have to figure out what to do about this yellow paint. I may just put another coat on and call it good. Then I have to mask it all off and spray the blue. I probably have a solid week and a half before I can call it officially done.

There isn't much you can do at this point with the yellow. Your only option of fixing it would be to strip it and start over. That's wonderful news I know.... in the future build the paint up in several thin coats and let it sit for 20min between each coat. I say four thin coats at least, then after you have let the last thin coat set for 20-25 minutes you can hit it with a good wet coat. You did right by heating the cans, I heat mine up between every coat. Also too, next time you use yellow try a white primer. You will be able to cover it better then gray. I use white primer for all bright colors and gray for dark ones. You have a nice smooth paint job, it looks good, shame about the corners. I would say that happened cause your coats were to heavy and time between coats were too close together. As far as time until you apply the blue..... I say a week or so. Enamels dry really slow, I use a dehydrator to help with curing times and still wait four days before I apply a different color. My fear is that when I pull the tape off the paint will come with it. Then I'm stuck stripping it and starting over if that happens. So I figure its better to give your base coat as much time as possible to cure before playing with it. I've always been told the rule of thumb with enamels is that if you can still smell the paint its not cured. I've also been told that it could take up to three weeks. I'm not trying to discourage you or say you have to wait that long, this is just information I have read and am passing it along. Like I said, using a dehydrator I've moved on to my second color in four days. Hope this helps.

I really appreciate your advice about the paint. There are a few spots that will show after I'm finished, but a lot of it will be covered by blue. Even more will be covered by decals. Overall I'm pretty happy with it since its my first in years.

I think when I do the other car in this kit, ill begin by painting the body so it isn't the part holding me up. I actually just finished up everything else so this thing is ready for paint and decals.

That brings yet another question (sorry for asking so many), after I do get the blue sprayed I'm assuming ill need to wait another week or so before I apply the decals?

Thanks again,

Joey

Shooting the enamel through an airbrush will help speed up the process. The amount of propellant in the can helps delay the curing time of enamel paints. Not sure if an airbrush is in your budget, but if you have one you will never want to use a rattle can again. You are off to a great start. Be careful using a dehydrator after doing body work unless you use a non shrinking putty. A dehydrator will wick what ever moisture left behind and ruin a paint job by the putty shrinking further.

That brings yet another question (sorry for asking so many), after I do get the blue sprayed I'm assuming ill need to wait another week or so before I apply the decals?

I don't think its necessary to wait a week for decals. The main thing is you want to be confident that you won't damage the paint during the process. I say at least three days. You always want to use caution but really take your time if your gonna do it that soon. That enamel paint is going to be soft for weeks. If you go the lacquer route next time you'll be more happy I think. Lacquer flows from the can much better and drying time is significantly reduced.

Don't worry about too many questions, I'll help or give ideas in anyway I can and there is a community of people here willing to do the same.

Sounds good and again thanks for the help. I'm going to try and maybe paint the rest of the body on Sunday or Monday. That will be a week. I can still smell paint a little bit but not too bad. I just don't want the masking to lift the existing paint.

From one Ranger driver to another, welcome, and good to see you over here too. LOL. Bill gave some great advise on using enamel paint. I tend to go by the smell test as well....usually from about a week to several weeks seems to be the norm. If your paint still feels a little tacky by Sun/Mon, even if it doesn't really smell, I'd hold off for at least a couple more days before masking and painting the rest of the body, just to be safe. I try to use lacquer whenever possible, but still do use enamel from time to time. Good luck, and am looking forward to more updates.

Yellow paint is typically tricky to use no matter WHAT it is (enamel, lacquer or acrylic) because it typically tends to be a little transparent. Shooting it over white primer can help get it nice and bright without too many coats needed compared to gray. Otherwise, I would say things are looking good. Just remember too that given how this is a NASCAR ride and how Dale tended to be a little... ahem... "hard" on his equipment, it won't look out of place to have a little paint chipping here and there from getting sand blasted with trash getting tossed up from the track or Dale putting his front bumper to the rear bumper of another car for a little "love" tap. ;)

When it comes to models, mistakes are part of the game. We all try to strive for perfection with our builds, but only way to get close to that is to keep at it often and build experience. Mistakes are part of the experience. Besides, we can always take another stab at doing a proper replica years down the road as we learn more. From what I see though, you are doing a very good job with this model.

Haven't updated in a while so here we go. Finally got the blue sprayed on. Tonight I started the decals. It's gone fairly well so far, but not perfect.

Here are a few shots of where I'm at. I still have the do the other side but I want to let these dry before I handle it too much.

FE8BFC93-D858-45A1-9C4C-36A589FF3E1E-187

6DBCC245-F7F5-4CAA-A203-7E52E5E57749-187

FCF8B085-DE3E-4669-A40D-7005F25A1426-187

343421EB-8CD3-4261-B4E1-06649BF1CF6A-187

I do have a question. Some of the decals are slightly too big and hang over the body. It is especially bad around the rear wheel well. Will it be hard to trim after everything dries?

Finished, well it appears finished anyway. I'm waitin on my microset/sol to come tomorrow. I have a couple more decals to put on the other side. Ill call it complete enough to post some pics.

797410E5-4214-458B-BB66-3195E108E5B8-517

AC029A5D-4783-4287-928C-F478F6E30FDF-517

82EDA3F1-F8B6-4D52-86EA-F617760C8F78-517

DDB08879-65C7-4FA0-B7E8-4E48B89D6ADA-517

3D51DE41-417D-4EC5-979C-5D966345C66E-517

Thank you all for looking and for helping me through the build. I know I asked a lot of questions but I feel like I've learned a lot. Ill have this one truly finished tomorrow, and I can't wait to tackle the next one.

Came out nice Joey. All you learned from this build you can apply to the next and learn even more with each one as you go. That's what its all about brother! Keep diggin!!

As you have more questions feel free to post them and I feel everyone here will help you along, I know I will as much as I can.