Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nascar and revell

sonictherevenge

The licensing is too expensive.

Tooling up new bodies to keep up with the constant changes is difficult.

The NASCAR boom is over. Look at the attendence of races this last year and the fact that you can't give NASCAR kits away.

They really screwed up the sport with the COT and all the changes. Its like 'wrestling on wheels'. Totally fake and fixed.

Michael, sounds like something you are interested in. What a great time to get into a specific type kit. Just look at all the kits available to you, and at great prices too . http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.Xnascar+model+kits&_nkw=nascar+model+kits&_sacat=0&_from=R40 Pick a driver, pick a car, pick a year. Use your imagination and build a great collection.

Edited by Greg Myers

what is happening is a resurgence of old school nascar kits,when they drove real steel cars not the plastic cookie cutter cars of today(no disrespect to modelers who build the new cars)...

Revell has the fords and Moebius has the Hudson and the Chrysler 300s,some are rereissue and some are brand new tooling,hopefully more old school kits will be made...

Old school is looking good. Revell's black widow wasn't perfect, but a great start, and the 57 ford is sweet. I hear the hudsons are great, and I have the Flock 300. R2's 65 galaxie is to be followed by 71 mercury and Laguna s3. Hopefully more to follow.

I feel bad for the guys who want current stuff. Unless nascar and others become more reasonable, resin will be the only choice (and diecast). On the good side, they'd only have to tool up one version for the most part. The differences are in the stickers! Still gonna root for the Wood brothers till the end anyways.......

I think the ready made NASCAR diecast models killed off the market for the more modern NASCAR model kits, back in the day when nothing else were available you had to get a model kit of your favourite drivers car and build it if you wanted to have one on your shelf, now you can just buy a diecast model and you're done.

Edited by Force

Yep, and I would imagine that a majority of NASCAR fans are not car modelers; ergo, die-casts would be the way to go. I have three (one autographed) and my sons have one each (they were freebees at the Hall of Fame- a long story). The finish on the die casts does leave a lot to be desired. I do have the Bill Elliot Intrepid kit; it seems a little heavy-handed and doesn't have a Dodge engine. It will be built most likely with the correct Ross Gibson engine. And I have an old Monogram Pontiac kit that will be built as a "what if", as well as a ... Revell(?) Chevy pickup, which will also be a "what if" build- both strictly for fun.

The last contest I went to saw a lot of NASCAR built-ups on the tables and a lot of kits on the vendor tables, but not a lot of buying activity at those tables- and this is in the heart of NASCAR country. And if I remember correctly, the only real aftermarket vendor (that I remember) was dealing strictly NASCAR items.

It's amazing how greed can ruin things.

I think the ready made NASCAR diecast models killed off the market for the more modern NASCAR model kits, back in the day when nothing else were available you had to get a model kit of your favourite drivers car and build it if you wanted to have one on your shelf, now you can just buy a diecast model and you're done.

Nope, not even close to being to true , the lack of current kits has killed the market, the one current kit that was done was a cheap half aresd toy like kit, thats more like a diecast then a kit, and NASCAR modelers said no thanks

The main reason for the lack of current NASCAR model kits is that the NASCAR kits they had before didn't sell well enough to motivate the cost for development of new kits and why is that!?!?

Well all NASCAR fans are not model builders...but back when there were no diecast models around they had to buy a model kit and build it themselves (or have someone else doing it) if they wanted a NASCAR model on their shelf as nothing else were available to them...so AMT/MPC and Revell/Monogram most certainly sold lots of kits to people who were not in the hobby normaly.

But now with all the diecast models the non modeler NASCAR fans can just buy diecast models of their favourite drivers cars and put them on the shelf with no work at all and they are done with it.
That's what I mean with the NASCAR diecast models killed the NASCAR model kit market as the sales of the model kits dropped severely when the diecast models arrived on the market.
And with the expencive licensing and high tooling costs nowadays you have to sell quite a lot to make any money...so if the sales are low it definantely doesn't motivate the model kit manufacturers to develop new current kits as the risk of loosing money is too large.

The last NASCAR issues released were most likely made that cheap and toylike to save money on tooling and that backfired big time as the model builders didn't buy them due to the lack of detailing and accuracy, and they finally stopped making them.

The NASCAR and even Drag Racing model kits were an itroduction and a way into the hobby for lots of kids as they could get a model of their favourite drivers cars, and many of us model builders have most likely started in the hobby that way, but now with all the diecast models available they don't have to build the models themselves anymore and are not drawn into the hobby the same way as many of us were...it's kind of like a vicious circle where all hangs together.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

If there was money to be made....we'd have a current NASCAR kit. It's that easy. I lived in Charlotte NC for over 30 years......I was involved in NASCAR licensing and hobby manufacturing during the mega boom. I'd buy kits of current NASCAR racers......but the licensing fees are not the number one reason for no kits.....NASCAR wants a new kit....so do many others.....but the bean counters do not see a profit in the kit....and there is a chance the car will be 100% different the day the kit hits the shelves....killing your investment.

Another reason no kit.....look at current new kits.....most of the new tooling have 3-4 version built in.....some have as many as 12 possible versions built in. (Moebius Hudson 52 stock, 52 racer, 53 stock, 53 racer, and????!) A NASCAR kit has one option....Ford, Chevy and Toyota nose and hood.....but the kit as a whole doesn't have multiple years and models in it......manufactures need to spread the cost of a new tool across many kits. The money is just not there in a current NASCAR kit....that may change at any time....but not this week.

Didn't stop them before . :huh:

From producing NASCAR kits??? It was a vastly different time. No real numbers are out there....but rumor has it Monogram kit #2900 DE Sr Monte Carlo SS sold over 500,000 kits alone. I know for a fact at our retail store we ordered 5-6 cases of that kit alone every Monday....for YEARS. So that one kit pretty much paid for the tooling. Today if a kit is a success when the first run of 10,000 sells out in 6 months. Basic economics. Hobby wise what happened in 1983 is no longer valid today. Remember those private issue limited edition NASCAR kits that only 25,000 were made?!?!?!?! Today 3,000 is considered limited and some of those do not sell out.....believe me I know! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Van

AMT gave the COT a shot and it was a total flop. By the time the kits came out, NASCAR had abandoned the GT-style wing for the traditional spoiler. So AMT had to go back and re-do them with the spoiler.

With NASCAR kits you're always chasing your tail, Driver X changes sponsors, changes teams, teams change makes, etc... and those kits are now pretty much worthless. Does anybody want a #20 Tony Stewart Home Depot Pontiac today? Too risky in today's market.

I'd flip my lid if a new-tool dedicated- NASCAR Superbird or Charger Daytona came out. Polar Lights has already done an early 70's Petty Charger, but it's not the exact one pictured.

Since NASCAR owns the rights to the shape of the newer cars, you can't get around the licensing. With the older cars, you just have to leave the NASCAR decals off.

Polar Lights did the 69 Ford Torino Talladega, the 69 Mercury Cyclone and the 71-74 Dodge Charger NASCAR kits.

But if you use the Revell skill level scale where 3 is most challenging the Polar Lights kits are about 5 or 6 as they need lots of work to do a good model that looks like anything...it's like they were rushed into production still in the developing stage.

Revell has allready gone over to the dark side with the new kits of the 57 Ford Custom and 57 Chevy 150 "Black Widow", both in NASCAR versions, and Revell did a NASCAR kind of model of the 69 Dodge Charger Daytona, the Pro Modeler version has some NASCAR parts included...but it's not that accurate for a race car.

Edited by Force

AMT gave the COT a shot and it was a total flop. By the time the kits came out, NASCAR had abandoned the GT-style wing for the traditional spoiler. So AMT had to go back and re-do them with the spoiler.

With NASCAR kits you're always chasing your tail, Driver X changes sponsors, changes teams, teams change makes, etc... and those kits are now pretty much worthless. Does anybody want a #20 Tony Stewart Home Depot Pontiac today? Too risky in today's market.

Part of the reason why the AMT COT kit failed because it was a half arsed kit to start with, if it was full detail kit then I think the numbers would of been a little bit better, lets be honest, it was a dissembled diecast, not a model

Are any of the resin casters offering the latest body style ??

Yes

http://www.mikesdecals.com/