Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's talk about your experiance with "Multi Piece Body Kits".

I tried one of the Revell kits (in a smaller scale - 1/32?) when I was about 8 years old. I think it was the '58 Buick Special. that pretty much cured me!

great set of instructions and assembled kit you have done.

I had one of those kits when I was about that age also and don't remember if I ever finished it. I recently picked up the 1/32 Chrysler New Yorker Customizing Kit for a buck and still factory sealed. It's gonna stay that way as I bought it for nostalgia's sake and it looks good in my "stash."

Harry, I knew it was that issue. Decals & Olds fiesta Caps were ONLY in those 2 issues.

I said it looks like the Box art build FOR that issue

I have 3 Originals to restore. My first Yellow issue currently under going resto,

one yellow issue complete, and at least one more yellow to restore

the 2 Skip's issues in progress, and one RoG 50th Anniversary not started yet.

I also have several more for parts.

I want the Revell US re-issue too (Only one molded white!)

Think I like that 59 Fairlane 500 Skyliner!??

Oh yea, Since the Skip's issue, it has Mistakenly been marked a Galaxie.

Know why it isn't??

I had the typical nightmare builds from when I was a kid -- the Revell VW Bus, which I believe was the first model I actually threw at the wall as hard as I could, and the '57 Ranchero, which I tried and tried so many times that eventually I just made the mating surfaces so goobered there was no way any two parts were going together without major corrective surgery.

Now, I'd love to try either again. Between CA/kicker, Ambroid/Tenax, and just a whole lot more patience and skill, I think I'd be very pleased with them as kits. The Futura and Club De Mur are both on my want list, as well.

Oh yea, Since the Skip's issue, it has Mistakenly been marked a Galaxie.

Know why it isn't??

I don't remember the exact details, but something about the '59s having both Galaxie and Fairlane 500 badging or something like that.

The multi piece bodies just require a little extra time and care during the initial assembly and then they're usually no different then a one piece body. I've built the 59/60 Corvette and the Revell Futura, just finished an old Pyro 1/32 scale Ford as a WWII US Army staff car and have the Revell Healey on the go. By investing a little extra time in these old kits you can often have some fairly unique models to set on your display shelves

I started a 1/32nd scale Chrysler a few years ago and didn't get very far before I lost interest in it ( had nothing to do with the multi-piece body though ) Otherwise I don't think I ever attempted one

I do have a couple multi-piece body kits on the shelf for future projects but only one of them is subject in the near future.

ps, I haven't been able to upload pictures to the board in some time..

Edited by gtx6970

I never had much luck with the multi piecers in the distant past so I've avoided them.I do have a multi piece F40 kit(Protar) and and a few old Revells but I haven't touched them in years.My big problem was vertically aligning the body sides.I ended up with way too much tuck under and then the chassis wouldn't fit.

i was given a Lindberg Triumph GT 6+ for my birthday last year. i shook my fist at the sky for a while, then figured maybe one day it'll actually get done and maybe even halfway decent. i started gluing stuff together, so i shall wait until that fateful day to decide if it's worth the extra effort or not.

from what i remember while working on it, it's going to need a lot of body work to make it look right.

The multi piece bodies just require a little extra time and care during the initial assembly and then they're usually no different then a one piece body.

Sometimes a LOT more care and time, but every one can make a fine model (except anything by Palmer). The Pyro Cord builds up very easily, actually, and fits together remarkably well. The old Testor's '48 Ford has been on and off my bench for quite a while, becoming a chopped '41, but it IS taking shape, and I've got restos going on the UN-chopped Ranchero, and a conversion of the AMT '57 Ford to a retractable hardtop, using donor parts from a gluebomb Revell '59 .Test fitting, tacking, checking alignment and sometimes deviating from the instructions may be called for on these kits, but nothing magic. The one thing that WON'T work on these is being in a hurry, and trying to slap them together.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've heard several varying reports of the Linburg/ Pyro Triumph GT. It's not Linburg's fault as they simply bought that "OLD " tool as well as I M C's OLD TOOLS along with every other extinct manufacturer out there . The problem is the Younger builders never knew of these kits back when . They have this notion that the current manufacturer did it on purpose for what ever reason . The same can be said of a reissued old "Annual " with molded chassis details .

Now in some defense of Revel, I have done many of their kits , including those "Multi-Piece bodies ". I did the 59 Ford Sunliner Retractable hard top several years ago. Revell Germany had just re released it in the original art work box, molded in bright Green . Yes, there was a small amount of "Flash ". I'm not surprised given the age of this kit and as many times as it's been re issued over the years too. I had to really "WORK " the hinge mechanisms to make my model have an operating top . However, the "Thumbnail at the bottom will show you that with A LOT OF CARE, decent results aren't out of the question.

The Revel Austin Healey is another one of those old 1950's kits . Johnny, a member here traded me this one a while ago. This kit too, was a re-pop of the original art work , circa , 1958. Molded in a warm White , I actually did a step by step build of this kit for his forum . I had to clamp joints in using some small "Bar clamps " overnight on a couple of occasions . There weren't any "REAL " surprises except the hood won't clear a built six cylinder engine though . But , I remember the AMT 1959 El Camino having the exact same issue too..............

All in all, probably the hardest kits revel did with fitment issues would have included the 1955 Lincoln Futura as the trunk didn't really line up on the quarter panels too well. The Pontiac Club de Mer had some issues along the sides as well as the 1957 Cadillac El Dorado Broham HT . Point is though, they're fixable with some careful finessing . In comparing ANY Early Revel kit to ANY IMC/ TESTORS/ UNION / LINBURG issued kit , humph, I'll be happy to do a Revell kit .

post-3159-0-45776000-1367525014_thumb.jp

post-3159-0-73493600-1367525033_thumb.jp

A couple of things to throw into the mix.

1. Most of the multiple kits are buildable with care.
  2. Glue choice is a significant decision. Most of us tried these originally with tube glue. Bad decision. I have had much better success with a liquid glue
  3. If you've ever successfully chopped a top, these are almost the same thing, possibly with better fit
  4. Most of these kits were molded with better plastic than what some manufacturers use at time. I'd much rather build one of these any day compared to the gray goo that Ertl/AMT used
  5. Nothing will make most Palmer kits buildable. Those are designed best as receptacles for fireworks such as M-80s.

A couple of things to throw into the mix.

1. Most of the multiple kits are buildable with care.
  2. Glue choice is a significant decision. Most of us tried these originally with tube glue. Bad decision. I have had much better success with a liquid glue
  3. If you've ever successfully chopped a top, these are almost the same thing, possibly with better fit
  4. Most of these kits were molded with better plastic than what some manufacturers use at time. I'd much rather build one of these any day compared to the gray goo that Ertl/AMT used
  5. Nothing will make most Palmer kits buildable. Those are designed best as receptacles for fireworks such as M-80s.

Ditto on all accounts. As a kid, tube glue was my downfall on these kits, leaving squeezed bits of glue at the seams and, inevitably, finger marks that kids are prone to.

The New for 59 Galaxie was an Option on the Fairlane 500. This is about Mid-year of the run when 'Galaxie' was added.

Yes on the actual car it still had the Fairlane 500 script on the trunk and 'V' between th eback up lights.

However, Galaxie replaced the Script on the rear fenders.

Now look at the Kit and read the script on the rear fenders.

"FAIRLANE 500", Thus the error.

AMT's Hardtop & Sunliner convertible Did have Galaxie on the rear fenders.

Anyone know Why the Fairlane 500 was Left on the Galaxie trunk line??

It Did have a Purpose

I think the Big problem with New builders getting these Old Muti-piece body kits is the lack of notice

that the kit IS an OLD design.

I bought the 59 Skyliner kit in 74-75 in its First ever re-issue.

It stated Right on the box, "As one of Revell's Oldest design kits, the body is made up

of separate parts, Trunk, sides, roof, etc........."

I had no trouble with it then. I still use the same technique in assembling them

Use the chassis as a support when gluing the body parts together,

Let set at least over night before removing the chassis, or other support piece used.

How many just Slap the engine together without smoothing seams??

Do the same on these kits with Body joints.

If you Scratch-build something, you should be able to handle these kits.

If you avoid them do to the multi-piece body, Fine, More for me!!!

I Like them, and will continue to buy and build them as long as I can!

The ones shown are beautiful examples.

It just comes down to the Prime rule, Take you time.

Makes no difference if it is an AMT with one piece body, or one of these Antiques still issued

with Multi-piece bodies.

It's been a long time (30 years+!) but I built the Revell/AMT 1/32 Mercury Montclair Phaeton (4 door hardtop). Had to change the order of assembly significantly to paint the entire body as would be done with the typical "modern" one-piece body kit. Also had to scratch a windshield and rear window since none of the Revell/AMT 32nd '55-'56 cars had "glass" in spite of the fact that wrap-around windshelds and compound curved rear windows were such a prominent feature of those cars. The whole series were otherwise nicely detailed for their time. Fortunately, 32nd scale and multi-piece bodies were soon an evolutionary dead end in the main stream of the hobby.

I also built Revell's 1/25th '59 Skyliner. Another where one has to rethink the assembly sequence to paint the body in one piece. But at least it had a windshield and was the proper scale!

An additional thought... After Revell abandoned the multi-piece body engineering they released among others, their tri-five Chevy series with opening everything, plus "steerable" wheels, separate chrome moldings, etc, etc. Though those kits had one piece bodies (except for doors and deck lids) they weren't much easier to build than their predecessors!