Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Firebird Formula

KENNEDYJR

I tried a paint technique for the body detailed by DamnCranky. I like it , but I think I went too heavy with it.

Anyway its built as a curbside with a tarp thrown over the back to cover up the lack of tail light detail. I cut down the engine from the Monogram 65 GTO kit to fit under the hood.

Interior is stock ( with included Camaro dash lol) with flat red seats with a wash of black detailer. The 4 pt cage is scratch built and the shifter is from a stock car.

The wheels and front tires are from the GTO kit as well. Rear slicks are from the Amt Nova Pro street kit. Thanks for looking.

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

What's goin' on...

Well Done!!!

It reminds me of the cars my former classmates in high school used to build. They'd find a car w/ a so/so body. Instead of doing the body first they'd spend every last dime and barrowed dollar building a mean engine and getting a nice set of tires and rims. Usually the engine wound up (no pun intended) blowing up before the body was done!!!

Did I do this to a car or two? B) NO COMMENT

IF YOU GOT THAT TECHNIQUE FROM DAMNCRANKY, I NEED TO FIND THAT POST. THAT TURNED OUT FANTASTIC!! I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE WEATHER BEATEN BUILDS BETTER THAN MOST. AND THAT IS AMONG MY TOP 3 OF WEATHERED BUILDS. NOT TOO LITTLE, NOT TOO MUCH, JUST RIGHT.

Thanks again. The kit is the Testors 1980 Firebird kit #4083 or 4086. Its a basic snapper with a lot of problems. The interior and chassis are shared with the companion Camaro kit. Not a bad start for a curbside build though.

The article by Damncranky was in Model Cars October 2008 #135. His example looks much better than mine.