Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Bad Blue 1970 AMX

Zoom Zoom

This is an OOP Motor City Resin 1970 AMX repopped from an original ’70 annual kit. Nicely cast from a very clean mold, yet I had problems with the kit (mostly my fault, but the resin was kind of soft and warped badly in my dehydrator where I've never had problems with resin before) with numerous glitches along the way causing me to take well over a year to build it. I was inspired to build a ’70 after seeing one featured on a Speed Channel muscle car show; the black shadow mask and the “sidepipe†rocker trim and the hood scoop looked particularly cool on the ’70.

Wheels/tires are from a Revell ’67 GTX, redlines are Shabo dry transfers. The black shadow mask is airbrushed Tamiya TS semigloss black, the separation stripes are BMF toned down w/semigloss clear to look like the silver factory stripes. AMX tags were made on the computer and printed on my laser printer.

I’m happy w/the overall appearance which matches pictures of a 1:1 that I really dug when I saw it, and I’m relieved to have this one finally done considering how it tried my patience many times. It currently has no engine, it may get one someday but right now it’s as done as it’s going to get.

5-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

Siggghhh! :) Makes me wish I still had my 1:1 '69......

Beautiful job Bob! I think yours is the only one I've ever seen done with the shadow treatment!

Interestingly, I still scour eBay once in a while to see if my 1:1 shows up somehow. Believe it or not, I still know the VIN number on that car after all these years! :wink:

Bob, for all the fits it was giving you, it certainly turned out awesome! A mostly forgotten Muscle car, I really like it!

Thanks! I had no choice but to keep plugging away at it; the kit was discontinued prior to the dehydrator incident. I spent about 3 hours over a pan of hot water on the stove carefully getting the shape back. The bumpers warped this past weekend when I was drying the black base coats. But it goes back to the right shape....mostly...though the body did seem to suffer a slight amount of shrinkage in a few places, somewhat hidden by my use of the black shadow mask that's not along the upper body line which bows a bit too much.

And I also realized it hasn't been 1 year, it's been 2 that I've been simmering with this thing :roll: :) Our pony car theme for this year's NNL got me to finish it up.

Siggghhh! Makes me wish I still had my 1:1 '69......

Beautiful job Bob! I think yours is the only one I've ever seen done with the shadow treatment!

The AMX is one of a handful of '60's cars I'd really love to own. Maybe you'll be lucky to get yours back! My Dad's boss had a '68 Javelin when they were new.

The shadow mask was such a trademark for a '70 I had to do it! It'll look good next to my lime green '68 Javelin restro promo w/black vinyl roof and black side stripes :wink:

Bob, That looks great. Something you don't see often. Scale or 1:1 :)

What paint did you used for the blue? I don't see any reference to it and that's the right color for a racer project I have in mind...

Thanks,

Thanks Ismael. I've been having fun this year building the unexpected/oddball kind of stuff.

It's Testors lacquer Big Bad Blue, a factory color for this car. In some light it looks great, other times it looks slightly washed out.

Nice AMX, Bob! Was that Javelin at the NNL in 2002? I remember seeing it, or one like it while I was there.

Lee, yes that's the same model you saw at that show. I had forgotten what year I restored it. I've got a '69 Javelin restorable kit waiting for it's turn :wink:

stay tuned...missing link is going to bring the amx as well as the 70 javelin. not sure of the time line on these, but after i showed him this thread he's thinkin about puttin it near the top of the pile

That's good news; a few people have been asking where to get the AMX; Kevin had told me @ the NNL East that he'd eventually be doing them again. Now if Testors would get the '69 AMX reissue out as promised :roll: :wink:

Bob,

As someone who grew up in close proximity to the AMC factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin, I have many fond memories of those AMX's & Javelins! The two you have there came out very nice and it sounds like they were worth the effort.

I hope to make it to the Atlanta show this fall, right now it looks like there won't be any schedule conflicts like last year !

Thanks,

Mike Scheve

and speaking of amcs..im working on an amc project for missing link...ya'll gonna love it :lol: maybe someday i'll even get a motor city resin priject done.... :wink:

Hmmm...really would be cool to have someone cast up the incredibly-rare '69 Rebel. But any cool AMC should be popular w/the resin crowd. They're very underappreciated :roll: :wink: