Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dreaming of a model?

I like the Minor and the Empress. I belive you could buy those in the U.S., too, so if they were made with LHD dash, so much the better.

Charlie Larkin

I just used the Daimler because I found the illustration. I meant it vicegerally for any Empress styled car. It's hard to believe that one of the most stereotypically British body styles has never been rendered in model form. Hey, it was good enough to give Bill Mitchell the inspiration for the '63 Riv!

And yes, all British car kits should have a LHD dash included, that goes without saying.

I still dream of modern truck models, like, 06 dodge ram mega cab with the cummins, crew cab chevies with the duramax, or even some of the newer fords with 7.3's or even the 6.4's. >_< I have an obsession with duallies...

I'm merely doing 30 years of catching up here. I sure won't arrive at the current cars for quite a while. So far, I have left out trucks altogether, despite the obviously gaping gaps in that field.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can see the Chrysler influence in the Simca. Speaking of which, I do like the idea of those two Fuselage-body cars. I always thought that Monaco with the hidden headlights was a pretty neat design.

If only the model companies would listen.

Charlie Larkin

Obviously I'm no artist! but...

93stangbox.jpg

I know I'm not the only one who dreams of seeing one of these on the shelves! Doesn't have to be 2 in 1, although it would be cool... I'd personally prefer a Revell 1/24th to match the others already out there (like the '93 Cobra platform, GT 'vert, etc..). :)

I can see the Chrysler influence in the Simca.

Chrysler was still lightyears away from Simca in those days. If there was any American influence at the time, then it would have been from Ford. Those Simcas were a continuation of the Ford (France) Vedette, complete with flathead V8. The Vedette was a Ford USA small car development from the Forties, and it looked like a 7/8 scale model of a '49 Mercury or Lincoln. Since America didn't need a 'small' car right after the war, the project ended up in France via the Marshall Plan. The French continued to develop it at Ford France, and after Ford France was taken over by Simca in the mid Fifties, Simca launched a new generation Vedette in the late Fifties, which is what my box art depicts (Versailles is just a trim level).

The flathead was built by Simca until well into the Sixties, and then at Simca Brazil well into the Seventies.

Chrysler had no stakes in Simca until around 1970.

Edited by Junkman

OH NO,HIDE YOUR CHILDREN IT'S ANOTHER 57 CHEVY REISSU-wait a new tool?They still have made it to many times for any forgiveness,then again I'm not a mainstream chevy guy.

Errrr....

There has never been a 1:25 '57 Chevy ragtop kit.

Edited by Junkman

I'd stand in line for a case of those '48 Jeepsters... This has been a fun thread!

And looking back, I'll take a case each of the '63 Wagoneer AND the '46 Willys Jeep Wagon... Man, this thread alone will have me dreaming of new kits... ;^) thanks, gents!

"And then he found the '78 Thunderbird..." I drove a '79 for years! It rode great, ran like a top and got decent mileage if I could keep my foot out of it... (Since it had a transplanted 351C, that seldom happened...LOL)

Edited by Wagoneer81

Dreaming of accurate and detailed 1:12 Mercedes Gullwing and Ferrari 275 GTB (which can be made in multiple building styles for GTB/4, Competizione and NART Spyder) to replace the old atrocities. A 1:12 Mercedes 540K would also be appreciated for those of us who can't afford or attempt to build 1:8 Pocher kits, and would like something better than what's available in 1:16 or smaller.

Edited by sjordan2

Interesting on your 275 GTB box art, Christian. Your art has a heavily retouched photo. The Revell box art on their kit shows a basically unretouched photo of the 1:1 car, which bears no resemblance to the turd that's in the box; it also shows Borrani wire wheels, while the kit has poorly made Campagnolo mags.

Photos of the built kit on the box are very misleading, as are the box photos on Revell/Monogram's Mercedes Gullwing. The original Renwal kits of these horrors has terrible box art paintings that don't look a lot like the real cars - but are actually more accurate to the kits.

Edited by sjordan2